The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-11-2002, 01:48 PM

Default Wanted opinions on Tacoma DM-10

I would like to hear some opinions about the Tacoma DM-10...Sound quality, playability...etc. How would it compare (soundwise) to the Taylor 310.

Terry
Old 06-11-2002, 02:01 PM

I love Tacoma's. But to me the DM10 and the DM9 are interchangable except for the bottom binding and the rosette.

Their tone is great for fingerpicking but man are they LOUD when you get on them; to me that's their true calling.

I really like the necks too.

That said, I'm partial to Taylor's (as are most folks in these parts) I'd say for the money the 310 is about the best guitar out there but man that Tacoma puts up a goooood fight!

Daren

410-KCE
412-M

Old 06-11-2002, 02:05 PM

I've had a Tacoma EM9 (smaller body, similar price point) for two years and liked it a lot until I bought my 714. Now, you'd expect the 714 to outclass it, and you'd be right, but suddenly the Tacoma sounded kind of plain and flat -- not bad by any means, just not as good as I used to think. Then I came across a Martin 000-15 which is in the sub-$1,000 price range, and it also outclassed the EM9. I still have the Tacoma, but I also bought the Martin.

I've found comparisons between the low-end Tacoma dreads (DM9, DM10) and the 310/410 to yield the same results. The Tacomas are solid performers, but the Taylors have greater clarity and brilliance. Only your ears can tell you for sure, but my choice would be for the Taylor.

If money is a factor and you're open to a different possibility, give the Martin D-15 a whirl. Its tone is distinctly different than the Taylor or the Tacoma, but it might be just the thing. I'd also check out the basic rosewood dread from Tacoma; I don't remember the model number, but it's got a satin finish on the back and sides, at least.

Last edited by cpmusic; 06-12-2002 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cpmusic
I'd also check out the basic rosewood dread from Tacoma; I don't remember the model number, but it's got a satin finish on the back and sides, at least.
DR-12?

Steve
Old 06-11-2002, 11:19 PM

DR12 sounds like the one. One thing I've found with Tacomas is that if you have two models that are otherwise identical, the one with a satin finish will be louder and livelier. Luckily, they're also less expensive than their glossy siblings. Your mileage may vary, of course.
Old 06-12-2002, 06:49 AM

Question And On A Related Topic...

I heard a rumor once that Tacoma was started by a group of folks who, for whatever reason, had left Taylor Guitars. Nobody I've asked at either Taylor or Tacoma seems to know or, at least, is willing to say.

Has anyone heard this before?

Steve
Old 06-12-2002, 07:22 AM

Default Re: And On A Related Topic...

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve314
I heard a rumor once that Tacoma was started by a group of folks who, for whatever reason, had left Taylor Guitars. Nobody I've asked at either Taylor or Tacoma seems to know or, at least, is willing to say.

Has anyone heard this before?

Steve
I never heard that, but someone did once tell me that Tacoma was owned by Takamine who wanted to start an American based company..

Never followed up to find out if that was true. On the surface it doesn't seem like it....

Anyone heard THAT one before?

Daren

310-KCE
412-M
Old 06-12-2002, 08:53 AM

The way I heard it is that Tacoma's parent company is a Korean piano builder that built a sawmill in Washington for making piano soundboards and the like. Somewhere along the line they got the idea to create a new American-based guitar company and called in someone who used to work at Martin to help design the line and set up shop. Whoever the parent is, I know that they do own a sawmill that supplies most of Tacoma's wood. Frank Ford even has a picture or two of it on his cyber-tour of the plant. I've also read elsewhere about the former Martin guy's involvement, though I can't remember his name.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:13 AM

Default Larrivee D-3 compared with Tacoma DM-10

How would the Tacoma D-10 compare (volume and Tone) with the larrivee D-3. I have played a D3 and was very impressed with the responsivness and volume this instument had.
If anyone has compared these guitars side by side....how did they compare with one another.

Last edited by gtrpkr55; 06-12-2002 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-12-2002, 01:21 PM

I haven't played them side by side, but as I mentioned before, volume is NOT a problem with Tacoma dreads. I dare say the low end on a DM9 or DM10 is more responsive than the 310 without overwhelming the mids & highs. I'm sure others have different opinions on that front, but that's my take on it...

Daren

310-KCE
412-M
Old 06-12-2002, 01:34 PM

Tacoma dreads are loud! The lows are quite good on most of them. I don't think they hold up too well on treble side. The sound is definitely not as delicate and balanced as a Taylor and not as resonant as a Martin. I can't speak to Larrivee.

414 LOTF MACE
Big Baby
Tacoma EMC9
Old 06-12-2002, 04:54 PM

I actually think the Tacoma's are the best out there for the money. I bought a DM 18 which I absolutely love. I can also verify that they have a sawmill here in Tacoma, but they definitely do not supply all the wood for this area. Definitely small time. I work for one of the larger lumber companies here.
In fact I've tried to use some of my contacts in the lumber industry to help me get a tour of the factory. So far my impression of the powers that be at Tacoma are not good. They have been completely uncooperative so far, and I think that that is their biggest downfall. Everything I have experienced and from what I've heard, their customer service is terrible. As most of you know, customer service and word of mouth can make or break a company.
Luckily for them, they make a great product. In fact I think I may even buy another Tacoma. Anyone ever played one of the maple DF 18 LTD's or the new DBZ 20 Brazillian rosewood?
Old 06-12-2002, 07:37 PM

I got a chance to play one of the first DM9 shipped out...I remember liking the Tacoma guitar but I had just bought my 410(AKA 310). And if I didn't buy the Taylor, there was the choice of Tacoma's DM9 or Guild DV52 being offered to me. I did choose the Taylor.
Oh, btw, the Larrivees that I've played are "mid-rangey" to my ears. Some people like it, some don't...I fall into the latter category.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification