The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-14-2012, 03:00 AM

I don't really think that it's caused by Elixir strings. I would say that you need guitar maintenance. it requires to do that once a year because wood is live and it moves a little bit depending on a environment. Take your guitar to maintenance, it costs for about 20 - 30$ or less.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00016SRGT View Post
I had this exact same problem with my first set of Elixirs, and the good people here helped my solve it.
The ball end of the string is probably not snugged up against the bridge plate tightly enough, so it is rattling. Elixer strings seem to have fatter end windings that do not want to seat in the bridge slots very easily.
To change the strings, take them all off at the same time, reach into the soundhole with your hand, and push each of the ball ends of the new Elixer strings firmly and securely into place up against the bottom of the bridge plate with your fingertip, then install the pins, and string the guitar as you usually do.
Had this issue too on my brand new Collings when I put a new set of Elixirs on. Now it's fixed! Thanks so much
2018 Gibson J-45 Vintage
Old 05-15-2019, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratt2828 View Post
10-4 mate. I have no intentions of adjusting the rod or saddle, but only look at it. I WILL do what you said with the string reinsertion, however. I hope that's all it is. It definitely doesn't sound like fret buzz to me either, but more like something buzzing around the bridge/on the wood of the guitar.
Greetings from the original Exeter. This certainly sounds unusual-I've used Elixirs in several gauges for many years and haven't encountered your issue. Hope you get that annoying niggle sorted.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

I have a habit of putting a slight bend just before the ball end. I also sand a slight wedge in the end of the pin. This seems to be mostly a problem with the larger strings so I also use a marker on the inside of the pin used for the largest string. This helps as that pin gets "fitted" over time.

Lee

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion