The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-11-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
They didn't have guitar tuners in those days, tuning forks or perhaps a strobo tuner which need about four hours to warm up.

I wonder who can tune their guitar these day without electronics.
I've never owned a tuner. I blow the low G on my harp and tune the G string and everything else to that. Not to brag too much, but my ear is so finely tuned after 25+ years of that method where I now tune without fretting anything, I just tune them all open.

Back OT, I basically learned to play guitar from Neil Young and Jimmy Page. I'm primarily acoustic player, so I learned mostly the acoustic stuff from both artists. Neil especially hit me hard. He is definitely my top influence as a songwriter/guitarist.

My YouTube Grooves
Old 03-11-2019, 09:31 PM

I’ve been a huge fan of his for years. While I haven’t personally enjoyed every musical direction he’s taken, his work is almost always compelling- as is his highly individualized electric and acoustic playing. His acoustic work is quirky -his electric work nothing short of iconic. Love him or hate him, he is a true artist in every sense of the word.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
I agree that a lot of the early stuff with Crazy Horse did sound a click off but the clanginess of those guitars is probably what made it sound so good.

Interesting to me is that, the garage/grunge thing notwithstanding, Neil's work has never been copied or duplicated. I can't recall anyone I ever identified as a "new Neil Young". His musicality has been a tremendous influence and many of us have wanted to be able to write like that, but I can't think of any clones who have been spun off. Anybody...?
It's a well kept secret (due to the way we play ) but Neil was always an influence on the band I've played in for 40 years (the LYL Band). No one has ever called us the new Neil Young, but we've used Neil Young-ish chord progressions and in our early years used to alternate playing quiet acoustic stuff with sets of fuzzbox and Fender amp turned up all the up way electric.

That's one of the issues with trying to be the "New Neil Young" he's a range of styles, and that's not only commercially perilous but it makes being the "New Neil Young" like getting the combination of a combination lock right.

But as to a current artist who reminds me of Neil Young, I'd say Kurt Vile. Not a clone, but....

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-12-2019, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

There's only one Neil Young, which is the way it should be. Kurt Vile is a good comparison, although a little more geared towards the acoustic / clean sound. Jeff Tweedy (Wilco) also shares many of the same traits --- mix of electric and acoustic, good crowd banter (occasionally surly), but obviously has his own playing style. Neil and Jeff are both huge influences for me.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
I started playing in '73 because I wanted to play Southern Man. That just seemed like such a cool jam. I still play it too. Needle & The Damage Done, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes, and some others.
You sent a shock through me. I bought a guitar and started playing in 1973 because of Neil and Stills. The first album I owned was Buffalo Springfield, a gift for my 13th birthday in the summer of 1967. We made the pilgrimage to Cleveland Municipal Stadium in Sept, 1974 to see CSNY in their heyday. It was one of the great moments in my life. If it wasn’t for Neil, I wouldn’t have lived the life I’ve lived. Now, in my “senior” years, it’s Neil’s songs I love to play.

Old Man, After The Gold Rush, Helpless, Down By the River, Comes A Time, Cinnamon Girl, Ohio, Mr. Soul.....it never ends.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

I’ve been a NY fan since 1972, the year I started playing guitar. My friend that sold me the guitar and taught me to play it laughed when I wanted to learn a John Denver song, Country Roads. He said we’ll get to that but let’s start with Down By the River. He then taught me Em and A and told me to keep listening to the record and trying stuff with your right hand until it sounds like that. That’s when I found out how much comes from the pick hand. It was hard, but I got there.

Once I had the hang of that he started me on Cowgirl in the Sand. Now there’s a lesson in palm muting!

This thread is a fun ride on memory lane.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF View Post
I too like Neil's playing. One of the reason I use SBT's is to emulate that "whump" Neil throws in occasionally with his FRAPs.
Quick, muted downstroke is probably the key.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:42 PM
Guest 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGAL View Post
He's got a great sense of timing. Kind of like BB whose sense of timing an phrasing is unreal.
For both B.B. King and Neil Young...it's their vocals that lead and shape their guitar styles.

With B.B. King it does not get said enough: that he was first and foremost an incredible blues singer...and he brought that vocalic style into his guitar style.

For Neil Young...the song comes first...the guitar follows...with a how low can you go set up (some buzz not excluded), essentially a thin pick (Herco 50 way back when?) and yes palm muting (which is also prominent in electric guitar playing in general)

Let's put the song first, folks, like B. B., Neil...Johnny Marr (The Smiths)..and Mícheál Ó Domhnail (The Bothy Band)….and Johnny Ramone (The Ramones).
Old 04-05-2019, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
i love neil's acoustic playing. i have often tried to duplicate it but can never quite get the "feel" and "smoothness" that he gets.

his electric playing is another matter altogether.
I’ve always thought his electric playing as a thrasher distorted opposite evil twin of his acoustic. Maybe that’s because the first songs I learned were Hey Hey, My My and My My, Hey Hey. But both styles are very percussive rhythmic. I love both, and his electric songs all translate well to acoustic. As he sometimes demonstrates himself.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 04-24-2019, 12:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
I’ve always thought his electric playing as a thrasher distorted opposite evil twin of his acoustic. Maybe that’s because the first songs I learned were Hey Hey, My My and My My, Hey Hey. But both styles are very percussive rhythmic. I love both, and his electric songs all translate well to acoustic. As he sometimes demonstrates himself.
I was listening to Neil just today. I love that he has the courage and confidence to go out and open his show with a few solo acoustic numbers. It really works. It's rare and admirable.

scott memmer
Old 04-24-2019, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGAL View Post
He's got a great sense of timing. Kind of like BB whose sense of timing an phrasing is unreal.
The right hand is our signature.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion