The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-09-2002, 11:26 AM

Default Electric vs Acoustic Amps

This may be emabarrassing, but I'll ask. Having recently stumbled across the board, I am thoroughly enjoying it. I am quite fortunate to have a couple of Taylors with electronics. I only play at home and have used my Fender Prosonic to plug into. What will be the difference with an acoustic amp? Thanks folks.
Old 06-09-2002, 12:39 PM
Guitar Gourmet

There are a couple of differences: sound quality and features.

The sound quality of an acoustic amp is completely different from that of an electric guitar amp. A typical electric amp is designed to be band-limited (having less highs and lows) to give the classic electric sound. It is also designed to distort fairly easily, and over a fair amount of its gain structure. To that end, it is usually tube-based or designed to imitate tubes. The speakers are also designed to be band-limited and to compress rather than self-destruct. The acoustic amp is degined to be a high-fidelity amp with broad bandwidth and little distortion. It is typically a solid-state amp, and will often have a compressor built into the preamp to prevent it from driving the power amp into distortion. Acoustic amps often have tweeters to extend their high-frequency response.

As far as features go, a typical electric amp will usually have only high-impedance guitar inputs and fairly limited EQ, designed to broadly shape the sound of the guitar/amp combination. An acoustic amp, on the other hand is really a mini-PA. it will often have multiple inputs, some low impedance (for Mics) and some high (for guitars). It will often feature notch filters and phase reversal switches to reduce or remove feedback as well as fairly comprehensive EQ. The manufacturers of these amps also go to great lengths to isolate the effects sends so you can handle a guitar and voice differently.

So in the end, an acoustic guitar will sound much more natural through an acoustic amp than it does through an electric guitar amp.

Hope this helps,

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-09-2002, 02:39 PM

Bob....it sure did....thanks
Old 06-09-2002, 03:36 PM

Excellent explanation Bob, I know it helped me to better understand the difference!
________
STARCRAFT II REPLAYS

Last edited by bcaylor; 02-13-2011 at 11:30 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification