The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-12-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish0177 View Post
Ted's photography as good as ever and really shows that guitar building is an art form in its own right...it really makes you appreciate the craftsmanship and skill that luthiers have in order to produce a world class instrument.
Couldn't agree more...

IMHO Ted's guitars have the "purest" design amongst modern instruments.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Couldn't agree more...

IMHO Ted's guitars have the "purest" design amongst modern instruments.
Hey...Ted likes to use black and white photography as the sharpness and crispness (for want of a better description) of this format really seems to capture the nuance's of the various stages during the build...I think it shows up the details perfectly.He generally uses colour once the finishing process begins so we can begin to see the guitar in all its colourful glory.

Although it's an OM model,Ted tweaks the upper and lower bout dimensions in order to create his signature shape..Even when in initial discussions with Ted words like clean,pure and uncluttered etc came up in our conversations and to me this sums up his work perfectly...beautifully simple design,function and execution ...Too me his instruments just look right and having owned one of his guitars previously I can attest to the fact that they feel, play and sound wonderful.

Last edited by Scottish0177; 01-14-2017 at 02:38 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:32 AM

Ted has had a busy week finishing the top, back and sides and joining them together to make the box

Voicing the top just right and the byproduct of all those shaved braces

Finally the top, back and sides become one

Ted has said he will send over more photos beginning of next week, when we will finally get to see the closed box and the beginnings of a guitar shape

Last edited by Scottish0177; 07-10-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:20 PM

Ted has pulled the top,back and sides together and we now have the box.Next step is to complete the bindings which will be in ebony.From the photos you can see that Ted has done the end graft too,which is done with the amboyna burl in a wedge shape.

Will keep posting as I get pics from Ted
Take it easy everyone

Last edited by Scottish0177; 07-11-2017 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:13 AM

Beautiful!
Old 01-25-2017, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cim Frode View Post
Beautiful!
Many thanks Cim..She is definitely beginning to show her beauty.As you know Ted produces wonderful work...Your Astrand looks and sounds fantastic and that fretboard inlay work had my head in a spin about whether I would or wouldn't have something done...I have chosen to have a plain fretboard but every time I see your guitar it makes me think!!!!...just one of the many choices and decisions you have to make and come to terms with in a custom build..

Love your work,and to whoever is reading this,go check Cims music out..phenomenal player and gets better and better.

All the best
Scott

Last edited by Scottish0177; 01-25-2017 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:33 AM

Oh my.... that Braz is wonderful!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 01-25-2017, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Really looks fabulous!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-25-2017, 12:28 PM

Still work to do but just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has made comments on the build so far.im really glad that people are taking an interest in Teds work and that the reaction has been as it has...Ted has thanked me for taking on the thread and showcasing his work and has also commented on how happy the reaction to the build has made him as a builder,knowing that others all over the world like and appreciate his work,so thanks to all.
What I've found on the forum is a collective knowledge and appreciation for what the art of lutherie is.to me it truly is an art form and I salute all those who constantly strive to build better and better instruments for us all to dream and drool over and to aspire to perhaps one day own and play.
Thanks again everyone
Will keep you posted

Scott
Old 01-26-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Still work to do but just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has made comments on the build so far.im really glad that people are taking an interest in Teds work and that the reaction has been as it has...Ted has thanked me for taking on the thread and showcasing his work and has also commented on how happy the reaction to the build has made him as a builder,knowing that others all over the world like and appreciate his work,so thanks to all.

What I've found on the forum is a collective knowledge and appreciation for what the art of lutherie is.to me it truly is an art form and I salute all those who constantly strive to build better and better instruments for us all to dream and drool over and to aspire to perhaps one day own and play.

Thanks again everyone

Will keep you posted

Scott

Thanks for sharing this thread, Scott. You clearly are very supportive of the luthier community - we need people like you!
P.S. That guitar... It's looking more and more beautiful with each post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
www.treehouseguitars.com
www.facebook.com/treehouseguitars
Old 01-26-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Many thanks Cim..She is definitely beginning to show her beauty.As you know Ted produces wonderful work...Your Astrand looks and sounds fantastic and that fretboard inlay work had my head in a spin about whether I would or wouldn't have something done...I have chosen to have a plain fretboard but every time I see your guitar it makes me think!!!!...just one of the many choices and decisions you have to make and come to terms with in a custom build..

Love your work,and to whoever is reading this,go check Cims music out..phenomenal player and gets better and better.

All the best
Scott
Thanks mate!
The inlay is beautiful but i think you will love it either way
Old 01-26-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacharius View Post
Thanks for sharing this thread, Scott. You clearly are very supportive of the luthier community - we need people like you!
P.S. That guitar... It's looking more and more beautiful with each post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Zac.....although it would be a hassle and a bit of a commute from Scotland,you don't want a 47 year old apprentice do you?..
If nothing else I could do PR and make coffee.lol

Looking at all these wonderful instruments makes one question My career path...
Knew I should have stuck in at joinery class...och well!

All the best and look forward to more threads from you

Last edited by Scottish0177; 01-26-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Voicing the top just right and the byproduct of all those shaved braces
love Teddys sense of humor - hope that translates into the voicing of the top.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westman View Post
love Teddys sense of humor - hope that translates into the voicing of the top.
Lol.....looking at the size of that shavings pile,I think those braces must be pretty thin by now.....could make for a very active top ....of course he might just like using paring chisels and it's all gone wrong

I own some really nice Japanese paring chisels and it takes all my self control not to bevel every piece of wooden furniture I own.very therapeutic.

Last edited by Scottish0177; 01-26-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:53 PM

Scott,

Great build thread, great builder, and your going to end up with an amazing guitar. I met Ted last year at the Santa Barbara show as our tables were next to each other and really enjoyed his company. Thanks for sharing and I love my pairing chisels as well

Warm regards,
Stephen

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop