The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-31-2012, 09:42 AM

Default Hardware Effects in Logic

Hi,

I am trying to add hardware effects (Lexicon PCM92) to my tracks in Logic Pro 9, but this is quite a challenge for me. Any assistance would be most appreciated. So far, I have created an auxiliary bus with the I/O inserted. I chose the hardware input where the Lex unit is plugged into my interface. I had to adjust the levels on my interface to keep the input under control. I can hear my effects! So, how do I save a wav file of my tracks with the effects?

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 01-31-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
Hi,

I am trying to add hardware effects (Lexicon PCM92) to my tracks in Logic Pro 9, but this is quite a challenge for me. Any assistance would be most appreciated. So far, I have created an auxiliary bus with the I/O inserted. I chose the hardware input where the Lex unit is plugged into my interface. I had to adjust the levels on my interface to keep the input under control. I can hear my effects! So, can I just bounce to a wav file?

Sure! The track and the aux return will have to be highlighted (for bounce length ) and solo'd then you can tell Logic to auto bounce to a new track.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:54 AM

Joseph, thanks! I am such a newb! How do I highlight for bounce length as you say? I also don't see anything about bouncing to a new track.

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 01-31-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

If you simply bounce your mix, it should be part of it. I used to do with with my TC reverb
Old 01-31-2012, 11:16 AM

Rick, I'll get you through it. It's easy. I'm out running errands this moment. Stand by
Old 01-31-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
If you simply bounce your mix, it should be part of it. I used to do with with my TC reverb
Hi Doug, I tried that and I just get the dry mix.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Doug, I tried that and I just get the dry mix.
Is your bus routed to the stereo out? Oh, you also need to set the bounce mode to "realtime" in the bounce dialog that comes up. Since this isn't software, you actually have to play the track in real time thru your effect
Old 01-31-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Is your bus routed to the stereo out? Oh, you also need to set the bounce mode to "realtime" in the bounce dialog that comes up. Since this isn't software, you actually have to play the track in real time thru your effect
Got it Doug. Works like a charm! Now the task of applying it to only certain tracks, which is where I think Joseph was headed. I will be adding vocals, which will need different a different type or amount of effects.

I must mention, after using the space designer effects in Logic, the quality of the effects from the Lexicon PCM92 are much nicer, IMO. I can't wait to share some audio files!

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 01-31-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:46 PM

Naw you're on the right track here. You just have to solo each track and bounce each track individually. In other words create a new track printed with reverb.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Why bother bouncing, Joseph? Once you do that, you're locked in. Seems fine if you have tons of tracks and performance concerns, but I just treat the hardware like any other send, and let it do its thing during the final mix. That way, it's easy to change, and takes less time (don't have to bounce individually AND then again for a final mix)
Old 01-31-2012, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

I agree with Doug. Why freeze the track (or bounce to disk) with outboard processors? I've used several different outboard units, eqs, compressors, effects units. I've always either (i) inserted them (or one of their channels) on a track, (ii) inserted them on the master mix bus (as dual mono or stereo) or (ii) put them on an auxiliary track routing tracks to and from that track with busses. More simply, I treat them the same as a software plugin.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:25 PM

Joseph, Doug, sdelsolray

Thanks for responding.

I would like to be able to send different amounts of reverb to different tracks: In my case, guitar and vocals. I don't mind using the same reverb type for both.

As I stated earlier, I created and auxiliary channel strip, then applied the I/O and input the 100% wet effect from the PCM92 into it. So, at this point, the effect is applied to the whole mix. If I want to apply a different amounts to different tracks, I need to do some more creative routing. If I bounce the guitar tracks to new tracks with the effect, then do the same with a vocal track, the combined result would not sound right because you lose some of the effect result when the tracks are combined.

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 01-31-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If I want to apply a different amounts to different tracks, I need to do some more creative routing.
I dont think you'll end up with any difference from just varying the amount of signal you send to the reverb. Just set the overall reverb level with the fader on the bus, and control how much reverb is on the vocal vs the guitar by the send on the vocal and guitar tracks.

I used to sometimes bounce reverbs when I wanted an actual different reverb algorithm on different tracks - so I'd send one track to my hardware unit, bounce it, then change the settings on the reverb and do it again.

But if all you care about is the amount of reverb, that's what the sends are for.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:22 PM

Problem is, I am unable to figure out how to send the effect to the tracks. When I try to create a send on the auxiliary channel, it only allows me to send to a bus.

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 01-31-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Problem is, I am unable to figure out how to send the effect to the tracks. When I try to create a send on the auxiliary channel, it only allows me to send to a bus.
Create a bus, then add the reverb to the bus. Then on each track, you can send to that bus, and set varying amounts. Your mixer should look like this:

The track that says "Reverb 40" said "Aux 1" before I changed it. I have a reverb plugin on my track, you'll have the I/O plugin that sends to your reverb and receives the return. if you already have an Aux track you're using, you can set it's input to be Bus 1 (the drop down right above "Stereo Out" in my screen snap.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD