The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-28-2018, 11:44 AM

Default MXL 990/ 993 combo info

Hey all. I’m wondering if anyone has any insights into these Mics?
Backstory.
I run an Open Mic at a coffee shop and am also starting to play solo acoustic gigs at some local long term care facilities in my area.
Currently I run my guitars and vocals through my Crate CA6110 Gunnison Acoustic amp.
My vocal mic is a Shure Beta 58.
The tone is good but I’m kind of wanting to switch to a condenser setup for vocals and guitar for the solo gigs. At the Open Mic I’ll probably leave it the way it is, there I turn the amp around and use it as a monitor and send the signal to the board through the line out. Works very well as there are no real monitors in that chain.
Anyway to my question. I realize the 990 will need phantom power supplied as I don’t believe my amp will power it. My question is will the 993? I’d like to Mic my Guitars with it so I can change out between them without unplugging and plugging in, and I’m thinking the mic’d tone will be a bit better than the Expression Systems put out.
Thought, questions, comments or concerns?
Appreciate all input.
Thanks!
Old 02-28-2018, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

You can get inexpensive oxes to provide phantom poer. here is one...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...QaAvdhEALw_wcB
Old 02-28-2018, 07:22 PM

That’s a good price for sure. Thanks. I was wondering if anyone knew if the 993 needed phantom power, but I have discovered that it does. Now I’m just wondering if anyone has used this set like I intend to and has any insights or thoughts on it.

Last edited by JLed79; 02-28-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:15 AM

Just don't do it. Years ago I bought the 550/551 set (from what I understand, very similar mics) thinking I'd have live application uses. I bought it as a Stupid Deal of the Day and boy, did I feel stupid! I'm no slouch when it comes to working a board and I couldn't EQ those into any sort of usable product.

I'm personally a huge fan of the AKG C1000S as a small diaphragm condenser mic. It's bigger than other "pencil" mics because it'll house a 9V battery if no phantom power is available. The sound is clear and crisp without being at all brittle or harsh. I've been using them for about 17 years and they still satisfy my needs for everything from what you described to choral and orchestral applications. The only thing I don't love them on are individual horns. As a section, they're fine, but a bit too strident on an individual.

I know these are very differently priced options, but you can find the AKGs in the $125-$150 range ($199 new).
Recording King RD-328
Epiphone 1934 Olympic
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Recording King ROS-11-FE3-TBR
Alvarez AJ-417/12
Silvertone 1958/9 620 Jumbo
Supertone 1941 3/4 Scale (Terz?)
Oscar Schmidt 3/4 Scale
Kepler Biscuit Reso
Old 03-03-2018, 03:32 PM

Good to know Kep. Thanks for the insights!
Old 03-19-2018, 02:56 PM

So a follow up. I’ve decided against this combo and have decided to go with a Rode NT1A and a pair of Rode M5s. Should do the job a bit better then the MXLs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification