The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-20-2018, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
As suggested above, the room and the speaker (and added reverb) had too much effect on the comparison to make it fair, so here is a direct recording of both, first Tonedexter and then Behringer ADI21.

ToneDexter !

Gets rid of the brittleness.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:14 AM

Default Tonedexter vs Behringer ADI21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Actually everything sounds the same through my iPhone Speakers anyway lol

The sad thing is that people use their phone, pc or tablet for listening to music [emoji30]. Don’t we all remember when everyone had a stereo system and music sounded good!

That’s why tests like this topic regardless of how well done produce questionable results. If the listener isn’t hearing the sound on a good system how can they make a decision based on what is reproduced. The most accomplished player using a plastic guitar will have the tone of a plastic guitar regardless of the wavemap.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

Last edited by BT55; 08-20-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
ToneDexter !

And now I'd be surprised if still someone likes the ADI better!
Old 08-20-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
The sad thing is that people use their phone, pc or tablet for listening to music [emoji30]. Don’t we all remember when everyone had a stereo system and music sounded good!
Long time ago, isn't it?
Old 08-20-2018, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
. . . , As to the last point, no, that statement is not correct. CH0 is all WaveMap, no blend. CH0 strips the excess phase and time information out of the full mic sound CH2. CH1 splits the difference. There are no tonal balance differences between CH0, CH1, Ch2, only the sense of dryness or closeness. CH0 is often a good choice for live. In order to blend you need to go CCW from the straight up CH0 position.
I've often wondered why anyone would mix in some pickup sound with processed sound with any of these sound-correcting-devices. It's sort of like the analogy of putting lipstick on a pig. If you're not happy with the color of the lipstick, . . . , how is it going to be any prettier if you mix in more pig?

Old 08-20-2018, 02:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I've often wondered why anyone would mix in some pickup sound with processed sound with any of these sound-correcting-devices. It's sort of like the analogy of putting lipstick on a pig. If you're not happy with the color of the lipstick, . . . , how is it going to be any prettier if you mix in more pig?

The blend feature was added primarily for upright bassists who have more difficulty properly miking the "meat and bones" of their instrument, due to the physics involved, and due to the weakness of some bass's reproduction of the low fundamentals.

Some guitarists with quacky pickups use a bit of blend to bite through a band, at the expense of natural tone, of course.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 05-08-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
ToneDexter !

Thank the lord. I read this thread in bed last night and couldn't listen to the link. As a Tonedexter owner who had happened to have a Behringer pre lying around in storage for lending to my violinist I was gutted to read the comments. Hearing it now I'm relieved.

Nothing is perfect but the TDs sound has a complexity to it that I've found I haven't been able to deliver even using the advanced Bodyrez setting on an a TC Play Acoustic. There's so much happening in the mids on an acoustic I'll trade two sweep able mids with Q control for AI any day.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:38 PM

Oh I might as well throw my 2 cents in here. The first demo through the speaker it was Behringer all the way for me. The second demo with direct recording it was Tonedexter all the way. What a huge difference between live power amplifer sound and direct in recording. But my only criteria is live sound so Behringer wins it for me. The fact that I own one makes me even happier. Yes I listened with good headphones.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:09 PM

Interesting thread. I thought the Tonedexter (#2) sounded more natural on the first demo, but I agree that hard strumming is not the ideal for Tondexter use. I am a finger-picker with metal picks and the Tonedexter was a major game changer for me.

But the question of whether the real sound is in the quiet of your headsets or in a live room with drunks, is a dilemma that is just depressing to me because every room and situation sounds different.

I have always felt if you go in with the best you've got (the sound you liked in your headsets), then tweak and eq with what little time you may have on site you have done your duty. Trying to chase the butterfly of audio perfection in the real world environment of little bistros, bars, outdoor events and worse just adds to my already significant headache.

My starting place has always been the live acoustic sound of the best guitar I could own. The Tonedexter has provided far and away the best amplified version of that expensive guitar. Sometimes I tweak it, but for the most part, I just let the Tonedexter do its mighty work...
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification