The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-03-2018, 03:20 PM

Default Experience with Yamamoto Guitars/OM Talus?

Hey AGF, I was wondering if there are any owners of Tony Yamamoto-built guitars out there, specifically the Talus (his OM size) who might be willing to share experiences with their guitars. I'm interested in

- what you think of the dual bevel/manzer wedge design
- tonal signature/tonewood comparisons to other guitars you have
- general impressions and the style of play you enjoy with it.

Comments on Tony's other guitars also welcome, but I'm more interested in feedback on 6 string instruments than his baritone, 7 string or 12 string instruments.

Thanks!

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 06-03-2018, 04:22 PM

Default Despite their vested interests...

If I had your questions, I would call both Eric Schoenberg's (http://www.om28.com/) and also Stevie Coyle at Mighty Fine Guitars (http://mightyfineguitars.com/.) I wouldn't expect them to say anything bad about Tony's guitars; they've each had a number of them come through their shops. But they would give you an honest comparison with other luthiers. And, I can't speak for Stevie, but I would ask if he could set up a Skype demo for you.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

I briefly owned one of his earlier builds. It was a OM size but not certain if it's the model you mention...sold it here on the forum as I was leaving the country...but I thought fit and finish were exceptional! I love it when engineers become luthiers...good things happen and you know it's gonna be precise (i.e. Tony Yamamato, Rod schenk, Kevin Ryan, etc..). Good luck.

2020 Brad Goodman J185
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 06-03-2018, 05:42 PM

Tony’s work is exceptional. I’ve played a lot of his output, and find them all worthy instruments. The pawlonia wood instruments are surprisingly nice given that they’re weightless - super light and tremendously responsive.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Sagatagan View Post
If I had your questions, I would call both Eric Schoenberg's (http://www.om28.com/) and also Stevie Coyle at Mighty Fine Guitars (http://mightyfineguitars.com/.) I wouldn't expect them to say anything bad about Tony's guitars; they've each had a number of them come through their shops. But they would give you an honest comparison with other luthiers. And, I can't speak for Stevie, but I would ask if he could set up a Skype demo for you.
Thanks! I actually discovered them through MFG. Stevie's got some construction outside his place and we're due to connect when that's quieted down, so I thought I'd do some informal asking around in the meanwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenpalms View Post
I briefly owned one of his earlier builds. It was a OM size but not certain if it's the model you mention...sold it here on the forum as I was leaving the country...but I thought fit and finish were exceptional! I love it when engineers become luthiers...good things happen and you know it's gonna be precise (i.e. Tony Yamamato, Rod schenk, Kevin Ryan, etc..). Good luck.
Thanks for the commentary - did it make a strong enough impression to compare to other luthier built guitars you've played/owned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
Tony’s work is exceptional. I’ve played a lot of his output, and find them all worthy instruments. The pawlonia wood instruments are surprisingly nice given that they’re weightless - super light and tremendously responsive.
I did see a Doug Young YT video on the pawlonia instruments and it piqued my interest, but the recording quality wasn't the absolute best - would you describe them as nice despite the weight (i.e. if weight matters, this is a good compromise), or nice because of the weight (i.e. the quality of the tonewood does something other woods don't). I did see Doug ordered a small sized 12 string guitar in pawlonia, and I wondered if that was because he felt the wood carried treble well and what that meant in terms of midrange and bass responsiveness. But definitely piqued my interest...

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Old 06-04-2018, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Whenever I’ve been able to drop by Mighty Fine and say hi to Stevie, the Yamamotos are always on my must try list. I’ve not played a bad one, and the Talus is definitely my favorite model. I’ve been lucky to catch a couple that were pre-sold, so never made it onto the wall, and I certainly understand why. They are very well built, and are incredible examples of modern guitar sound. Stevie has been working with Tony for a while, and is one of the best people I’ve met at listening to guitars, as well as to players, and he would be a tremendous resource if you wanted to spec a Talus for yourself, or just have Stevie put a sold tag on one before it makes it onto the wall.

If I had a larger house, I’d love to have one myself -
Old 06-04-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippygreen View Post
Hey AGF, I was wondering if there are any owners of Tony Yamamoto-built guitars out there, specifically the Talus (his OM size) who might be willing to share experiences with their guitars. I'm interested in

- what you think of the dual bevel/manzer wedge design
- tonal signature/tonewood comparisons to other guitars you have
- general impressions and the style of play you enjoy with it.

Comments on Tony's other guitars also welcome, but I'm more interested in feedback on 6 string instruments than his baritone, 7 string or 12 string instruments.

Thanks!
I have that model here at the moment. It's a very impressive instrument that is extremely responsive and well balanced. Fit and finish are 1st rate.

RR
Old 06-04-2018, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

I have one of Tony's OMY built for me in 2007.

It is a truly fine guitar. Lite as a feather, plays like butter, and, the sweetest sounding guitar I have ever heard with tons of sustain. A finger picker's dream.

Steve

Last edited by El Conquistador; 06-04-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
I have one of Tony's OMY built for me in 2007.

It is a truly fine guitar. Lite as a feather, plays like butter, and, the sweetest sounding guitar I have ever heard with tons of sustain. A finger picker's dream.

Steve

Pretty guitar.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:42 PM

That's gorgeous!

And thank you everyone for the additional feedback. Certainly everything is consistent with what my own ears are telling me from the several videos that are out there.

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Old 06-04-2018, 09:29 PM

Default video clips

I'm not sure you can see this link but this is my Facebook video page.
There are a lot of casual video clips....

Tony

https://www.facebook.com/tony.yamamo...OUZZd2pSc2c%3D
Old 06-04-2018, 10:01 PM

What I meant by the weightless comment was that they sounded amazing even though they’re much lighter than comparable instruments.....the sound is everything you could want - rich, clear, full - like a good classical in terms of wringing every drop of sound from the materials.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyamamoto View Post
I'm not sure you can see this link but this is my Facebook video page.
There are a lot of casual video clips....

Tony

https://www.facebook.com/tony.yamamo...OUZZd2pSc2c%3D
Boy, there are some really interesting videos here. Well worth a look.

Olson SJ CED/IRW, Charis SJ SITKA/MAP, Charis SJ ENG/IRW, Charis GC Thinbody SITKA/IRW, Lowden O25c, Larrivee C19, Larrivee OM-03R, Voyage Air VA-OM 04
Old 03-07-2024, 08:12 PM

I just found this thread! I assume the OP got one?

I have a Talus VS-12 that I bought from Tony in 2016. It has a paulownia top with cocobolo back and sides, plus lots of other great woods throughout the guitar. Mine has the Manzer Wedge™ and three bevels (arm, chest, and leg).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion