The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-07-2011, 02:22 PM

I've seen this guitar, played it & enjoyed listening to Michael playing it. It's awesome. JK builds amazing guitars.

Vic
Old 07-27-2011, 05:24 AM

Default Don't you hate it when...

You've been watching a really cool build thread for the best part of a year, the guitar's ready, delivered and...

SILENCE... the guy just disappears!

Oh the guilt!

Suffice it to say things have been extremely busy here with work, an impending addition to the family and "life in general" and until now I haven't had the chance to sit down and collect my thoughts about this instrument.

Bearing in mind that attempting to quantify the performance of any instrument is often an exercise in futility I can objectively say that this guitar does everything that I hoped it would and given that the initial brief was fairly specific I am nothing short of delighted.

Throughout the course of this thread I have shared the various aesthetic and ergonomic considerations that Jason factored into the building of this guitar but I barely touched upon the sound I was searching for. As has been proven time and again it is surprisingly difficult to talk about tone with any degree of shared meaning so when Jason and I spoke about the guitar's voice I used the examples of other guitar's tones where Jason and I shared a frame of reference.

I am obsessed with tone generation, and the finger style guitar approach allows both hands to be active in the "molecular structure" of the note from its attack to the end of the envelope. To this end I had gone into quite some detail with Jason about what I expected this guitar to be able to let me do.

I enjoy "working the bass" of a guitar. Colourful chord voicings on the bass strings and big bends and slurs are my idea of a good time but I do not want the bass to be too smooth... I had said "I want it to growl like a good vintage D-18, ideally a 12-fretter". I had sat with Jason and demonstrated some of the attacks I use on the guitar particularly with the thumb and pinky finger and some "nail return" techniques so he could further understand how to approach the voicing.

The trebles of a guitar are the element of the voice that is most likely to give me issues, however it was the trebles of the first guitar that Jason had sent me that really impressed me. I had a hunch that the clarity and separation that Jason had achieved in his own guitar (Mad rose/German) could prove to be something that I would get a lot out of when applied to the less vitrious mahogany that I had chosen. This hunch (for which I can claim absolutely zero credit!) proved to be right. The guitar, as I'd hoped, rewards my lighter touch on the trebles (with very short, polished nails/flesh) with a warmth and immediacy that I hadn't found anywhere else. The points of reference in this case had been the work of Ervin Somogyi (naturally), Michael Greenfield, Stefan Sobell and Bruce and Matt Petros all of whom have a very different signature sound of course!

The issue of sustain reared its head soon after the initial "spec meeting" with Jason. I have nothing against sustain but if a sound is to last then it must be a "good"(subjective) sound from the the initial attack to the decay. I have encountered many guitars (and singers...) whose voices are capable of notes that go on for ever but lack the tone I'm looking for within the duration of the note. "Space" is a vital part of my approach to music and I need an instrument that can support a pause with sustain but also let a note decay to total silence in a usable and beautiful (very subjective) way. I love the explosive attack of a great flamenco guitar, the initial swell of a pizzicato'd cello, the chop of a fine mandolin and I don't find myself wishing that those notes would ring on longer than they do. But I also need a note that will last long enough for me to bend, slur and generally speak with while it decays.

All this "dancing about architecture" is all very well but without you hearing the guitar at work you'd be forgiven for nodding and smiling in all the right places while wondering when I'll start to make sense!

A couple of nights ago I sat down to record a new piece inspired by and dedicated to one of my musical heroes the French composer Erik Satie.

It is a work in progress demo recorded with a DPA 4099 clipped to my desk (not on the guitar) and rough as it is it I hope demonstrates some of what I've written about in this post.

SATIE

That's all for now!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

Nice review and tune, Michael. I'm looking forward to meeting you in a couple weeks at Healdsburg!

Kindly,
Danny
Old 07-27-2011, 11:11 AM

Please promise mine will be just as good.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 07-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

I think it might be the ultimate pimp guitar- nice job Coastal!
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s
Old 08-10-2011, 02:08 AM

Congratulations Michael, what a beautiful guitar! How satisfying to be so involved with the design process... bet you didn't sleep on the flight out last month

How's the album coming along?

I just part-ex'd a couple of others for the Hamblin GC German spruce/firestorm cocobolo at TAMCO - you can colour me very happy right now

Jon B
Old 08-22-2011, 10:58 PM

Michael, I absolutely loved hearing you (a marvelous guitarist) play your guitar (an outstanding guitar) at Healdsburg. Truly, it was a highlight of my Healdsburg trip this year. Thank you!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:37 AM

Some new pics...

been snowed under but some new studio vids are planned soon. The guitar is sounding wonderful. The most common thing I've been hearing is "It's amazing, I've never heard anything like it" and "it completely suits your playing" which I have to agree with!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 10-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

looks beautiful! seems like its a very "balanced" guitar

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 10-20-2011, 12:55 PM

Default Videos!

Ok, got together with my partner in crime Bradley Steenkamp of Sound on Sound Magazine to shoot some video.

The seasons are changing here in the UK with the leaves on the trees outside turning deep red. I spent the morning listening to George Winston's legendary record "Autumn" and got inspired to get out into nature and make some music.

This was filmed in the beautiful countryside of the South Downs in East Sussex with a close stereo mic set-up. There was a lot of wind noise so we took a line from the K+K just in case but ended up not using it. A parametric eq got rid of the worst of the traffic/wind noise.

So here it is, click here and I hope you enjoy it. Please feel free to comment/like/share etc and thanks as always for your support guys, it really does mean a lot to me

Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 10-20-2011, 01:16 PM

Seriously excellent Slasher.....

Cheers
Old 10-20-2011, 01:54 PM

Cheers Vic, there's more to come, I'm playing with Erik Mongrain this Saturday and it's getting filmed too.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 10-20-2011, 02:26 PM

Michael, I seriously can't wait for you to release a cd! Great video and song, I hope there's more to come!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:42 AM

great video!! Can’t wait for more...the guitar sounds and looks amazing!

’11 Bashkin Belleza - GC (Cedar/Mahogany)
’89 Taylor 712
Takamine EN-50
ESP Ltd MV-200
Old 10-21-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicov View Post
Seriously excellent Slasher.....

Cheers
More like "seriously cold weather"...

Very impressed with the recording given that it's out in the wild.

Also, LOVE that tune!

Cheers,
Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop