The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-04-2020, 08:32 PM

Default 1st nice guitar

Hello, I’m about to purchase my first solid wood guitar. I currently have a Martin 000 X1AE. I mostly fingerpick. I’m leaning towards the Martin 000 28 for my new guitar. Is it a mistake to have 2 small bodied guitars? I feel like I have a light enough touch that I might not get the best sound from a dread. I doubt that I will ever be someone who owns more than 2 guitars, although there are so many amazing ones out there I can understand how it happens! Thoughts?
Old 08-04-2020, 08:36 PM

Whatever works is just fine.
Some folk have varieties of sizes and some folk don’t.
That’s the great thing about guitars, it’s all up to you.
Enjoy whatever you like.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:39 PM

You have thought this out.
Having 000 already and liking the size makes getting a better quality guitar in the same size a great idea.

You will have a great guitar with a very nice back up for times that you may not want to expose the nicer guitar to an unknown environment.

Enjoy your new guitar.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:02 PM

Not a mistake at all. I haven't known many fingerpickers to have dreads. A Martin 28 is a very desirable guitar for most any style. Great choice.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:09 PM

I believe someone here (finger picker) said it takes a pick to pull the volume out of a 28 compared to an 18, but he might have been referring to dreads. Maybe try them both.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:24 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input. I’m feeling more confident. ‘Bout ready to pull the trigger!
Old 08-04-2020, 09:32 PM

If you want a little more power with a light touch, you may want to try an OM before you commit (longer scale length)
Old 08-04-2020, 09:44 PM

I think it's a good choice, but I agree you should try an OM. Personally I prefer an OM (longer scale and wider nut) for most fingerstyle.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:47 PM

Hmmmm, I didn’t realize longer scale=more power. I was told short scale is easier fretting that’s the main reason I was staying with the 000. I may have to get my hands on an OM now before I decide.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
I think it's a good choice, but I agree you should try an OM. Personally I prefer an OM (longer scale and wider nut) for most fingerstyle.
The nut is the same on recent models in the standard series, just the scale length and the pickguard that differ now.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 08-04-2020, 11:11 PM

Definitely try OM sized instrument. I recently gave away my OOOX1 to a neighbour's son after having lent it to him last Summer and he loved it. Wasnt really playing it having bought OM28 in 2018. Mainly fingerpick with thumb pick/fingerpicks. OM body size very versatile, popular size. As regards loudness, remember OM was originally requested from Martin by dance band leader Perry Bechtel in 1929 and the longer scale length immediately made it very popular partly because it was somewhat louder with an enhanced base and more able to compete with other instruments in a dance band era orchestra. They're not quiet. Try and find a Reimagined. For some reason they're about 1K + cheaper than the current Martin OM28 Modern Deluxe. No idea why. This hike in price only brings them into competition with other excellent OM's from other companies.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

I prefer an OM to a 000 but I also prefer standard scale length. I own mostly dreads (all but one OM) and fingerpick every one of them. Not trying to dissuade your line of reasoning but people fingerpick on whatever suits them. It's not the guitar...it's the player. If you prefer a 000/OM size guitar that's fine but it might be worth your while to at least try a D-18 or D-28 prior to making your decision. Best of luck with whatever you get!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 08-05-2020 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:39 AM

I agree with many of these responses. The OM would be an excellent choice unless you're playing blues and bending strings. You can absolutely finger pick on a dread as well. Do what most of us do: get both.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:52 AM

Well, if I'm buying it, I want the 000 'cuz I happen to like 000s, Dreads being WAY too bass heavy for my playing.

Try them ALL. Get the one you fall in love with, not the one you think you "should" buy.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:11 AM

Certainly try as many guitars as you safely can in these crazy times. Bring hand sanitizer?

I had a wonderful dred, but found it wanted more RH finger pressure than I wanted to give to sound up to potential.

The two guitars left in my collection are both 000 size. I much prefer the shorter scale for fingerstyle, but definitely decide for yourself.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
small body guitar