The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-27-2020, 12:28 PM

Default 12 Fret Taylor

Hi,
I was looking for any advice on the Taylor 12 fret guitars. Has anyone tried them? I have a GS Mini and I reckon it's wonderful. It has a 111/16 inch nut and the 12 frets are all 3/4 inch. I have medium- smallish hands and do mostly blues fingerpicking but the GS Mini is great because the fretboard gets much wider as you go up, and as far as I can see, the string spacing is a lot wider than most acoustics with 111/16 inch spacing at the nut, so fingerpicking on the GS Mini is mostly fine, but I sometimes hanker for just a little more room for the left hand.
So what I really would like to know is, has anyone tried one of Taylor's 12 fret guitars and how do you find the playability?
My biggest concern is getting my thumb working on the low E as you often do when playing blues chords. I can manage it on the GS Mini but don't want to spend a lot of money on a Taylor 12 fret only to find the neck's too wide. I can't get my hands on one locally.
Any advice welcome.
Thanks.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

The Taylor GC’s are fantastic guitars whether 12 or 14 frets. Much more guitar than the GSM in terms of tone. I had a GSM and found the neck on the GC’s is just as friendly. If you work with a company like Sweetwater, they have a great return policy and are one of the best online dealers for Taylor guitars.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 07-27-2020, 12:50 PM

This might be sacrilege around here, but the only thing I don't like about my 12 fret Taylor (522c) is the slotted peghead. I'd really prefer a standard "paddlehead" peghead.

I use my fretting thumb to fret the low E string a lot, in fact I almost always do it that way to play barre chords, and the 1+3/4 nut and neck contour suits me just fine. For reference, my hand, fully spread out, measures just over 9" from tip of pinky to tip of thumb.

It's worth mentioning that when I first started using the thumb to fret the low E, it was very awkward and I never thought I'd be able to reach it. With a bit of practice, it's basically "the way" for me, now.

The Taylor 12 fret grand concerts are great little guitars that provide a nice, compact and intimate experience, without compromising tone. I've played the GS mini several times and have never been impressed with it as much more than a toy. The 12 fret Taylors are in a whole different league - and they're really not much bigger.

I'm not really into cutaway guitars, but I chose a cutaway 12 fret so that I could essentially get equal access to the higher frets as I get with a non-cutaway 14 fret guitar. It's worked out well for me. I really enjoy mine.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:55 PM

Not a Taylor expert or a Taylor fan, except - the only Taylor I've ever really liked was a 12-fret GC, and I liked it a lot. Tone was sweeter and rounder, more of a vintage sound. Slim, fast neck, very comfortable to play. I have largish hands with relatively short fingers, and had absolutely no issue getting my thumb around to the low E. I will add, I've played a GS Mini, and as said above, the GCs are in a completely different weight class.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
This might be sacrilege around here, but the only thing I don't like about my 12 fret Taylor (522c) is the slotted peghead. I'd really prefer a standard "paddlehead" peghead.
I'm there with you. I much prefer the standard peghead to the slotted design...cosmetically as well as functionally.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

I have a 322e 12 fret and absolutely love it! Very easy to play. Wonderful sound!

I am a little guy, 5'-6" tall, with small hands and have no problem with the 1-3/4" nut or neck size. I have not progressed enough yet to fret the low E with my thumb but will most likely be ok

The Taylor 12 fret's I've played have have a nice full mellower tone than the 14 fret Taylors I have owned.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 07-27-2020, 01:47 PM

I had a Taylor 712 vintage sunburst which I regret selling. That guitar had an unbelievable tone and I loved the compact body and really good 12 fret neck. Everyone that dropped by and played it complimented the full tone and superb playability.

I thought I need a bigger, 14 fret guitar so I sold it and the guitar I replaced it with rarely gets played at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4SIObZhpqg
Old 07-27-2020, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
I'm there with you. I much prefer the standard peghead to the slotted design...cosmetically as well as functionally. Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme, This might be sacrilege around here, but the only thing I don't like about my 12 fret Taylor (522c) is the slotted peghead. I'd really prefer a standard "paddlehead" peghead.

Poor misguided souls !

I love Taylor's slotted headstock. IMHO it's classy and really not any harder to change strings.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 07-27-2020, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

From what the OP wrote, it sounds like a 12 fret Taylor GC would be exactly what the doctor ordered. You will indeed get more room with the wider nut, yet maintain the small body that isn't that much bigger than the GS Mini. You will likely get a better tone out of the all solid wood construction, but only you can be the judge of that.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 07-27-2020, 03:04 PM

Slothead Taylor 812ce owner here. Really like it. Wonderful finger picking or solo type stuff. Not a big fan of the strumming, takes a real light touch to keep it civilized. Comes thru the amp well.

Really like the slotted head. It sounds different from the other 800 series Taylors I'v had.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:06 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone. I live in the UK and the Taylor 12 Fret costs the equivalent of about $2,300 here, so it's a pretty big investment but I guess there's no point in just wondering for ever so I think I'll go for it. It's the 12 fret soiund and smaller, more comfortable body size that appeals, as well as the tone, so here goes. Thanks again.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:13 PM

i've got a 322ce 12 fret and it's a great little guitar( hog. top and blackwood b+s) i call it the anti taylor because of its mellow tone. if possible i suggest you give this model a try especially if you are a blues player. the slotted headstock is classy looking and no harder to change strings than a solid headstock.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

I have a Taylor 322ce 14-fret and prefer its more comfortable, fretting-hand playing range over the Taylor 812ce that I owned a few years ago.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 07-28-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:28 PM

I have a 322 14 fret, but I use the extra real estate often because I capo as high as the 9th fret.

The 12 fret GC is an excellent guitar. I prefer all my guitars to be slot heads, so that wouldn't bother me in the least.

The big difference between the larger GC Taylors and the GS Mini (I owned a mahogany mini) is scale length. The longer scale length of the standard GC is going to make a lot more of a difference in feel than the extra 1/16" in width at the nut.

You can do a thumb wrap on either neck width, but it's not a technique you see many players use. I'd venture that you'll get away from that as you get a few more years playing under your belt using the wider neck.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Default Taylor 12 frets are Sweet

While not a “Taylor guy” I have had a few. I currently have a 12 fret 12 string. Had my old Taylor 12 fret a wider string spacing, I would still have it.
I personally believe the 612 with Maple is the best sounding Taylor guitar I’ve played regardless of scale or model.
I think the OP will have no trouble with the wider nut since the string spacing at the saddle is still pretty narrow for my choosing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion