The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 01-20-2020, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Exceptional musical experiences

Last night I was fortunate to experience what I think has been the most amazing concert experience. I heard/saw the International Guitar Night. Four fantastic acoustic guitarists, Jim Kimo West (slack key master), Olli Soikkeli (gypsy jazz extraordinaire), Cenk Erdogan (fretless genius) and Mike Dawes (percussive fingerstyle genius). ING has been doing this concert series for 20 years but this was the first time I was able to catch one of their concerts. They played individually, in pairs (everyone with everyone) and finally all four together. Each master’s in their own style and yet so good in various combinations and together. It’s what I want to be in my next life. Wow is all I can say. If you’ve never seen one of their shows find one, if you have seen one then you know what I am talking about. Each year it’s 4 different guitarists. This was their 4th concert in an ongoing series of 33. Catch them if you can.
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 01-20-2020, 04:49 PM

That sounds amazing. And yes I can relate - I saw Mark O’Connor play hot jazz violin with Frank Vignola on guitar, then welcome Chris Thile and Bryan Sutton out to play come bluegrass fiddle, mandolin and guitar.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:30 AM

Here's a link to the 2020 North American Tour:
https://internationalguitarnight.com...-america-tour/

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-21-2020, 03:13 PM

Thanks to the OP for a great reminder, I just picked up tickets for March 4th.

I've seen two of these. They are a valuable discovery mechanism since most of the artists are not well-known. If you have tastes leaning towards the eclectic this series is made for you.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 01-22-2020, 06:54 PM

I have had a few of those amazing musical experiences. Tony Rice and the all stars around 2000 at a small park outside Columbus,OH one summer night. Nickel creek around that same time. Mark O’Conner at a beautiful theater in VA. Many other concerts over the years... Tommy Emanuel at the Song Bird this past summer.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

I saw / heard a lot of incredible music in the ‘70s and ‘80s, including some incredible jazz, bluegrass, Americana, rock, reggae, etc, But very possibly the most transcendent night of music I ever experienced was my second Grateful Dead show, in Eugene, OR, 42 years ago tonight. One of those rare total mind melds between musicians and then with the audience. I have a whole list of concerts the were incredible, Doc Watson, Dexter Gordon, Dylan, Richard Thompson, Tony Rice, Bonnie Raitt, Van Morrison, John Abercrombie, Ella Fitzgerald, John McLaughlin, Bruce Springsteen, the Stones, Rory Block, Newgrass Revival (Bela before I had a clue who he was) and on and on and on. But that Dead show that night was on a different level, including relative to the many other times I saw the Dead. I knew it that night and the recordings confirm it...

-Ray
Old 01-23-2020, 05:46 AM

17 years old and seeing Jimi Hendrix play,
March 16, 1968 in Lewiston, Maine
Old 01-23-2020, 06:19 AM

First time I saw Michael Hedges play at Convocation Hall, Toronto in 1990...tickets were a gift from my wife.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwebguy View Post
Last night I was fortunate to experience what I think has been the most amazing concert experience. I heard/saw the International Guitar Night. Four fantastic acoustic guitarists, Jim Kimo West (slack key master), Olli Soikkeli (gypsy jazz extraordinaire), Cenk Erdogan (fretless genius) and Mike Dawes (percussive fingerstyle genius). ING has been doing this concert series for 20 years but this was the first time I was able to catch one of their concerts. They played individually, in pairs (everyone with everyone) and finally all four together. Each master’s in their own style and yet so good in various combinations and together. It’s what I want to be in my next life. Wow is all I can say. If you’ve never seen one of their shows find one, if you have seen one then you know what I am talking about. Each year it’s 4 different guitarists. This was their 4th concert in an ongoing series of 33. Catch them if you can.
Just curious...how many people do you think were in attendance....???
Old 01-23-2020, 07:28 AM

Hendrix, Hedges, D’Gary, DeGrassi, Bensusan and Renbourn, O’Connor, McManus, Clive Carroll, Billy Strings, the Grateful Dead, Hot Tuna, Country Joe, Merle Haggard, Marty Stuart, Trey Anastasio, John Mayer, John Fahey, the Chieftans, Pat Metheny, Airto, Sons of Champlin, Dave Mason, Big Brother, Jefferson Airplane, Diga Rhythm Band with Garcia, Del McCoury and Grisman,
Old 01-23-2020, 07:57 AM

The best experience for me was not going to see a band or individual. It was in high school band. We were invited to march around the track on race day at the 1974 Indianapolis 500.

Largest crowd I have ever played in front of. Even though it was with 65 or so others. An experience I will never forget. Our director had us so well prepared it seemed like another rehearsal. And something I will never have opportunity to do again.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 01-23-2020, 08:13 AM

My first trip to Broadway in Nashville this past November.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:19 AM

I've seen lots, but the two that stick out the most in my mind are jazz guitarist John Pizzarelli and Vince Gill.

I saw Pizzarelli at an intimate club in Decatur (Atlanta), GA, and he is absolutely the finest player I've ever heard.

I know we normally think of Vince Gill as a singer, but he is a great guitarist. I saw him perform in Nashville with the Time Jumpers. He sang a few songs, but mostly he just played. He did some solos that just blew my mind.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

In response to GHS’s question, about 800 people
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 02-04-2020, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

The first concert I ever saw was Pure Prairie League in 1974. I still remember that one very fondly as it sparked my love for live music. Here are a few highlights since then:

Nils Lofgren many, many times. He once dedicated a song to my daughter on her 21st birthday, that was pretty special

Pat Metheny many times, most memorably in a duo with Ron Carter a couple of years ago.

Vince Gill. A national treasure.

Sonny Rollins and Freddy Hubbard on the same bill.

Jerry Garcia/Grateful Dead, many times, especially in the late 70's. They could be hit or miss, but there were magic moments for sure.

Bruce Springsteen, dozens of times, especially the 1978 tour. The most complete entertainer I have ever seen (I missed Elvis and Sinatra who apparently could work a room).

Little Feat. Lots of concerts, but the best was seeing Lowell George and Richie Hayward jam with a local band in a tiny bar.

Stephan Grapelli, David Grisman and Yo Yo Ma, my only time at Carnegie Hall!

Billy Joel, most notably at the Orpheum in Boston touring after he released The Stranger. I remember him playing 4 separate encores, which I have never seen before or since. I tried to verify my memory online but the set list does not seem to be available. I'll be seeing him with the whole family and their spouses in a couple of months.

The Eagles (with Vince Gill) on recent tour. I liked it a lot, but it deserves mention here mostly because this was my wife's favorite concert ever (I drag her to a lot of stuff she doesn't exactly love)...

...like Tommy Emmanuel, which she said was not as bad as she thought it was going to be (she is not a fan of instrumental music).

But how about the ones that got away? I never saw Miles Davis or Merle Haggard or Joe Pass or Guy Clark (RIP), or Linda Ronstadt, Elton John or Paul Simon (probably too late now).

Disappointments? I love Bob Dylan and Van Morrison, but their concerts were never memorable for me. And I probably saw Clapton too late in the game. Not that I didn't enjoy myself

And the ones still on my bucket list...Jason Isbell, Verlon Thompson.....suggestions??

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN