The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-28-2019, 12:23 PM

Default Fishman SoloAmp users - Did you add anything else?

For guys using the Fishman SoloAmps (I have the SA220)...did you add anything else to your vocals or guitar to make things sound better?
The Fishman's reverb and EQs are pretty good...but I was wondering about adding more pedals to the system for additional effects to enhance the vocals and guitar sound.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:58 PM

I added the TC-Helicon "Play Acoustic" to my SA220. It can improve both the voice and the guitar tone. Having used it for a few years my experience has taught me that "less is more". That is don't over do the effects. Find a sound enhancing "sweet spot" and stick to it. - YMMV
Old 01-28-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostpicker View Post
I added the TC-Helicon "Play Acoustic" to my SA220. It can improve both the voice and the guitar tone. Having used it for a few years my experience has taught me that "less is more". That is don't over do the effects. Find a sound enhancing "sweet spot" and stick to it. - YMMV
How do you hook it up? Do you go from the Helicon to Channel 1 or in through the Aux In or Monitor In?

So it does improve the guitar AND the voice? Could you offer some details on how you hook everything up and the settings?
Old 01-28-2019, 02:59 PM

I also use the Play Acoustic. You simply run your mic cable into the mic in and guitar cable into the guitar in. Then run an XLR cable from both the guitar and voice outs and into the two channels of the Fishman. There a lot of presets that might work for you. It can do a lot of things and is really flexible. I'd suggest you watch a few YouTube videos to learn more about it. If you're tech savvy at all, you'll spend hours getting the best sounds possible. If not, you might not get all the potential this unit offers. Personally, I feel what this box does for my vocals is absolutely fantastic. I don't leave home without it!
Old 01-28-2019, 03:28 PM

I use a TC-Helicon "Play Acoustic" and a Tonedexter, through a Mackie 802 mixer, going into the SA220 Aux in on the back. That bypasses all the preamps and effects in the 220 and treats it like a PA.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 01-28-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaurman View Post
I also use the Play Acoustic. You simply run your mic cable into the mic in and guitar cable into the guitar in. Then run an XLR cable from both the guitar and voice outs and into the two channels of the Fishman. There a lot of presets that might work for you. It can do a lot of things and is really flexible. I'd suggest you watch a few YouTube videos to learn more about it. If you're tech savvy at all, you'll spend hours getting the best sounds possible. If not, you might not get all the potential this unit offers. Personally, I feel what this box does for my vocals is absolutely fantastic. I don't leave home without it!
Does the Play Acoustic also enhance the guitar sound noticeably? Do you leave the reverb on the Fishman off and use the reverb on the Play instead?
Old 01-28-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
I use a TC-Helicon "Play Acoustic" and a Tonedexter, through a Mackie 802 mixer, going into the SA220 Aux in on the back. That bypasses all the preamps and effects in the 220 and treats it like a PA.
Is the Tone Dexter really necessary with the guitar processing available from the Helicon Play unit?

Also....someone above is going from the Play Acoustic into the main channels of the SA220. Isn't that amplifying the signal twice?
Old 01-28-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Is the Tone Dexter really necessary with the guitar processing available from the Helicon Play unit?

Also....someone above is going from the Play Acoustic into the main channels of the SA220. Isn't that amplifying the signal twice?
A lot of folks here like the Tone Dexter. Is it "necessary?" That's your call. I don't use one.

The Play Acoustic has a body Rez function that helps get a more natural acoustic guitar tone. the Play Acoustic is an effects unit not an amplifier, While it does serve as a preamp for guitar and match impedance, you can plug it into the input channels of your Fishstick. That way you can adjust the separate volumes (gains) and eqs for the vocals and guitar for balance. You also have separate feedback controls on the Fishman that can be very useful. As I said before, watch some YouTube videos on the Play Acoustic. There is a lot to learn about it, especially if you get one.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:

A lot of folks here like the Tone Dexter. Is it "necessary?" That's your call. I don't use one.

The Play Acoustic has a body Rez function that helps get a more natural acoustic guitar tone. The Play Acoustic is an effects unit not an amplifier, While it does serve as a preamp for guitar and match impedance, you can plug it into the input channels of your Fishstick. That way you can adjust the separate volumes (gains) and eqs for the vocals and guitar for balance. You also have separate feedback controls on the Fishman that can be very useful. As I said before, watch some YouTube videos on the Play Acoustic. There is a lot to learn about it, especially if you get one.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:40 PM

OP: There are several ways to connect. I go from the Play Acoustic to the Monitor-In. I've also used the Aux In. (That leaves channel 1 and 2 open for other things - like a 2nd guitar or singer.) Sometimes just for fun, I hook up a second powered speaker and set the Play Acoustic to stereo, then run an XLR to the monitor-in on both the SA220 and the 2nd speaker.

In another question you asked about guitar sound improvement and settings. Discussing settings could be a long conversation. There are many options and there are times when I use a Fishman Aura Spectrum and turn the guitar enhancement off on the Play Acoustic. I'm guessing that anyone lucky enough to have a Tonedexter probably does the same. I use the reverb on the Play Acoustic unit and not on the SA220. But that's just me. As I said, there are a lot of ways you can set it up. A lot of trial and error goes a long way. You'll get lots of good advice here on the forum, most of it from those much more knowledgeable then me. I just know what works for me. If you'd like to know more about settings I use, drop me a PM and I'll try to answer any questions you might have.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:00 AM

Interesting idea leaving the 2 main channels open for others just in case.
The Play acoustic has enough amplification by itself to go into the monitor or aux in without any issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostpicker View Post
OP: There are several ways to connect. I go from the Play Acoustic to the Monitor-In. I've also used the Aux In. (That leaves channel 1 and 2 open for other things - like a 2nd guitar or singer.)
Old 01-29-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Interesting idea leaving the 2 main channels open for others just in case.
The Play acoustic has enough amplification by itself to go into the monitor or aux in without any issues?
Yes, there is a volume control on the SA220 for the Monitor-In that gives plenty of volume.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:42 PM

As stated above, a Tonedexter is not necessary but it is vastly superior to the Body Rez in Play Acoustic in making your guitar sound more acoustic and removing the unpleasant quack and electronic tone of most pickups (though Body Rez does a pretty good job). My experience is that nothing works better than the Tonedexter to make your guitar sound like an acoustic guitar through a microphone, but some people really like the unprocessed sound of a pickup. To each his own.

I go into the Aux in to avoid adding preamps I don't need to the signal chain. And of course it leaves the two Soloamp channels available if you need them for something else.

Quote:

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 01-29-2019, 03:43 PM

Sure, you can go into the Aux in or Mon in and it will work fine, but you lose the capability to adjust the separate volumes of the guitar and vocals and eq tweaking that you have by going into the front panel channels. Going into the back is probably okay if nothing changes during your performance, but when it does, it's nice to be able to reach over and tweak what you need. You can accomplish the same things by tweaking the Play Acoustic, but that's way more awkward and time consuming, not to mention "unprofessional" to the audience. Now if I'm using a mixer for additional performers, I'll go right into the Mon in on the Fishstick because I have all the eq and volume controls handy.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:06 PM

Maybe I wasn't clear, Guitaurman. I go from a mixer into the aux in on the SA220 so eq tweaking and level adjust happen there and the mixer is right next to me on a music stand. Sorry if I was confusing things.

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification