The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
I'm thrilled and honored!

As for the guitar, it's a 1943 Banner SJ, which a young soldier bought it in late 1943 and took it to the European battlefront during WWII.

I'll have a very rough cut of the evolving documentary film of the guitar being played by the artists Tom named, in places like the Rosie the Riveter Museum, Pearl Harbor, the beaches of Normandy, Hiroshima & Nagasaki, etc. I'm honored to be able to share the guitar and project with you (the project is being underwritten by BandLab and The Guitar Magazine).

Oh, and I'm excited to be able to spend some time in the US Southwest, where I grew up and which is the subject of my most recent book.

Thanks, Tom and Kathy!

See you all in Texas!
The pleasure is ours. You have gotten me excited to learn about the WWII Gibsons, the Kalamazoo Gals, and to play this one know where it has been and the great musicians who have played it, Wow.

I hope all you Gibson lover's take the chance to come on down and meet John and this guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Dang, Tom, there's too much to do now. You're going to have to tack on another day.
Too funny Stan, you must have ESP as Kathy and I had that exact conversation today. There will be no more added at this point and we may start at 10 on Saturday and go a little longer and expand Sunday a bit. We will be emailing all of those who have signed up once we have figured out the exact schedule of events. We do want to leave down time for some impromptu jamming. I know I look forward to showing Micheal Watts some of my favorite licks!!!!
Old 11-12-2018, 07:50 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I know I look forward to showing Micheal Watts some of my favorite licks!!!!
Oh, me too. I'll show him the lead part of "Nowhere Man." I'm sure he's never seen that before.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

I will be attending, assuming riff raff is invited. I'm not sure which guitar I will bring. This will be my first time flying with a guitar. The idea makes me nervous!

But I think it'll be a blast to hang out with other guitar nerds and play guitars!
Old 11-13-2018, 09:19 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Juston coming out of his gimp cage and the addition of my buddy John Thomas has pushed me over the edge. I'll bring the OM, and ship another few guitars. See you folks soon!
Old 11-14-2018, 04:27 AM

Juston and Matthew in the house! Fabulous.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I will be attending, assuming riff raff is invited. I'm not sure which guitar I will bring. This will be my first time flying with a guitar. The idea makes me nervous!

But I think it'll be a blast to hang out with other guitar nerds and play guitars!
Oh my VIP riff raff, poor Kathy, she has no idea!!!! Shhhhhhhh.

I fly a lot on Southwest and I am always seeing folks carrying on guitars. One time I flew with an entire Bluegrass band and they were all carrying. Banjo, a couple of mandos, a guitar, and a stand up bass (OK, kidding on the bass). I asked them if it was a problem and they said no, they fly SW specifically because they let you put instruments in the overhead as long as you get an early enough boarding pass. I plan to bring some down this way as well as shipping some. You can pay the extra 25 bucks to get earlier boarding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Juston coming out of his gimp cage and the addition of my buddy John Thomas has pushed me over the edge. I'll bring the OM, and ship another few guitars. See you folks soon!
We will be ready for you Matthew. I am glad John Thomas can make it too. I am anxious to try the two Vintage guitars out (if I am allowed that is).
Old 11-14-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Juston and Matthew in the house! Fabulous.
Hmmmm, don't make any assumptions JT, they may be restricted to yard access only!
Old 11-14-2018, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Default B.I.G. 2019

...and this fabulous event just keeps getting more and more so!
Old 11-14-2018, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hmmmm, don't make any assumptions JT, they may be restricted to yard access only!
Yes, and I know Matthew tends to mark his territory, so we'll have to be careful how much he drinks.

Hard to say which guitar I would bring. I'm inclined to bring the Brondel. Probably the A-2 since it's settled in and representative of the stuff he does.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Default Big guns at B.I.G.!

Wow, this is awesome! It's looks like all the heavy hitters are going to be there now!

I'm starting to feel a bit out of my league.....
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 11-14-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
...and this fabulous event just keeps getting more and more so!
Well, I think this is about it for anymore add on events to the schedule or as mentioned above, we would need 3 days. Now K and I will just focus on the details! We even have a golf cart and driver to drive people from their cars to the house as needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Wow, this is awesome! It's looks like all the heavy hitters are going to be there now!

I'm starting to feel a bit out of my league.....
Don't worry, you can hang out in the corner with me with my mouth slightly agape .
Old 11-14-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Yes, and I know Matthew tends to mark his territory, so we'll have to be careful how much he drinks.

Hard to say which guitar I would bring. I'm inclined to bring the Brondel. Probably the A-2 since it's settled in and representative of the stuff he does.
A Brondel would be wonderful, I have not had the pleasure! Email me if you need more info on hotel etc. I can't remember if I sent that to you.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Oh, please, don't be ridiculous.

At least in Matthew's case (I've not yet met Juston), we at guitar shows have worked this out. We keep him on a, well, wee leash. Hook the leash to a table leg at each luthier's table. When he starts to get antsy, the host, which is, uh, you, takes him outside for a bit.

Can't see why this method wouldn't work with Juston.

No need to thank me.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh, please, don't be ridiculous.

At least in Matthew's case (I've not yet met Juston), we at guitar shows have worked this out. We keep him on a, well, wee leash. Hook the leash to a table leg at each luthier's table. When he starts to get antsy, the host, which is, uh, you, takes him outside for a bit.

Can't see why this method wouldn't work with Juston.

No need to thank me.
I will usually start to claw at the table leg with my fingerpicks when I need to go out.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Don't worry, you can hang out in the corner with me with my mouth slightly agape .
OK--this works for me as long I have company!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop