The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-20-2009, 08:06 AM

Default Anyone know of a good tab for "Walkin My Baby Back Home"?

I don't know if anyone has come across a compilation CD called "Contemporary Guitar Workshop". It's available from guitarvideos.com and features songs played by the likes of Duck Baker, Leo Wijnkamp and Jim McLennan. The CD has a PDF file with the tabs and score for all the songs...except one! And that one is a beautiful rendition of the old pop tune "Walkin' My Baby Back Home" by Duck Baker. I've searched around for a good tab/music but have so far drawn a blank. The infamous "Fingerstyle Guitar" apparently had a version in one of their old issues, which I ordered, but, true to form, "Fingerstyle" never sent me the issue. If anyone can point me in the direction of the tab and music for this song, I'd be very grateful.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:13 AM

I'll be home in a few days. I have about 10 issues of fingerstyle, do you recall which issue?
Thanks
Hank
Old 09-20-2009, 10:36 AM
The Foreigner

ohhh my!!! If you can send me the MP3 I'll gladly tab it out for you (me!!)

I'm assuming it's a solo fingerstyle piece? I love the "standards" on solo guitar

(of course, we can wait for Hankak too )
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 09-20-2009, 12:26 PM
The Foreigner

I couldn't resist!

Found a sample clip online and drafted the first verse:

http://www.box.net/shared/x1g14gtehd

If I can get my hands on a complete MP3, maybe I'll ask Mr. Baker for his permission to share the tab with those who are interested
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 09-20-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
I couldn't resist!

Found a sample clip online and drafted the first verse:

http://www.box.net/shared/x1g14gtehd

If I can get my hands on a complete MP3, maybe I'll ask Mr. Baker for his permission to share the tab with those who are interested
Brilliant!! Thanks a lot Mmmaak! Did you manage to hear Duck Baker playing it? Isn't it great! If you haven't already downloaded the song, I'll see if I can get the techs at the university to help me copy and send it.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankak View Post
I'll be home in a few days. I have about 10 issues of fingerstyle, do you recall which issue?
Thanks
Hank
Thanks a lot, I'll see if I can dig up the email I sent to Fingerstyle with the issue number on it.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:56 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Did you manage to hear Duck Baker playing it? Isn't it great!
I did, but only a very low-quality 34s clip. I love these sorts of simple but "complex" arrangements. Fabulous!

Quote:
If you haven't already downloaded the song, I'll see if I can get the techs at the university to help me copy and send it.
I can't seem to find a full-length file online (I'd probably buy the album if an MP3 version was available). You can send it to my email if you decide to

Play the draft and let me know if there are any errors. It's 4am here so I wouldn't be surprised if there were
Transcriptions

Old 09-20-2009, 06:43 PM

I have that issue of Fingerstyle at home. Happy to make you a copy of the tab and fax or mail it to you. You can get a hold of me at
[email protected]
Christian
Old 09-21-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkenweg42 View Post
I have that issue of Fingerstyle at home. Happy to make you a copy of the tab and fax or mail it to you. You can get a hold of me at
[email protected]
Thanks a lot! Email sent.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I did, but only a very low-quality 34s clip. I love these sorts of simple but "complex" arrangements. Fabulous!

I can't seem to find a full-length file online (I'd probably buy the album if an MP3 version was available). You can send it to my email if you decide to

Play the draft and let me know if there are any errors. It's 4am here so I wouldn't be surprised if there were
Mmmaak, I have the song ready to send to you if you'd like to give me your email. The tab looks great so far, by the way, although I haven't got my fingers round all of it yet.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I don't know if anyone has come across a compilation CD called "Contemporary Guitar Workshop". It's available from guitarvideos.com and features songs played by the likes of Duck Baker, Leo Wijnkamp and Jim McLennan. The CD has a PDF file with the tabs and score for all the songs...except one! And that one is a beautiful rendition of the old pop tune "Walkin' My Baby Back Home" by Duck Baker. I've searched around for a good tab/music but have so far drawn a blank. The infamous "Fingerstyle Guitar" apparently had a version in one of their old issues, which I ordered, but, true to form, "Fingerstyle" never sent me the issue. If anyone can point me in the direction of the tab and music for this song, I'd be very grateful.

Sorry I can't help, but I saw Tommy Emmanuel this past Saturday night and he did a beautiful version of that song...maybe it would be in some of his books/videos.

BTW, I subscribed to Fingerstyle magazine and just realized that I haven't received even one issue, but have received 2 issues of Acoustic Guitar magazine and I subscribed to both at the same time.

2006 Taylor 410 acoustic
2008 Baby Taylor
Old 09-22-2009, 02:23 PM

Don't think anyone has brought this one up. I'd suggest that you look up the version in Fingerstyle Quarterly by John Knowles.

[URL="http://www.johnknowles.com/"]

His version is fantastic. If you want to hear what it sounds like, see FrostyMorn doing it on YouTube. Just flawless!

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLejsu9urFA&feature=channel_page"]

I'm still working on this.....good luck with it.

Larrivee OMV-50
La Patrie Concert
Republic O-Style
'62 Silvertone
Old 09-22-2009, 06:20 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Mmmaak, I have the song ready to send to you if you'd like to give me your email. The tab looks great so far, by the way, although I haven't got my fingers round all of it yet.
Thanks! I can't PM you, by the way, since my box is full (again)

Please click on my member name to see my email, or simply send to: mmmaak [at] gmail [dot] com

I've been wanting to buy that Finger Aerobics DVD by Duck for some time now. Maybe in the next shipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrivers View Post
His version is fantastic. If you want to hear what it sounds like, see FrostyMorn doing it on YouTube. Just flawless!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLejsu9urFA&feature=channel_page"]
Hey, thanks for sharing! That's a "smoother" version; I did think Duck's arrangement has a very nice "bounce" to it that's reminiscent of Nat King Cole's slightly "mischievous" delivery
Transcriptions

Last edited by mmmaak; 09-22-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorGirl2008 View Post
Sorry I can't help, but I saw Tommy Emmanuel this past Saturday night and he did a beautiful version of that song...maybe it would be in some of his books/videos.

BTW, I subscribed to Fingerstyle magazine and just realized that I haven't received even one issue, but have received 2 issues of Acoustic Guitar magazine and I subscribed to both at the same time.
Wow, I'd love to hear Tommy Emmanuel playing it! Duck Baker's version is great, though. It has a lovely, sort of laid back, even slightly lazy feel to it. And the chords have that delicious bluesy/jazzy touch.

I hope you have better luck with Fingerstyle than I did, by the way. Apparently, they've got new management now, but if you're overdue a copy or two, perhaps they've re-elected the same people on the board!
Old 09-22-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I can't PM you, by the way, since my box is full (again)

Please click on my member name to see my email, or simply send to: mmmaak [at] gmail [dot] com
It's on its way. Don't worry if you're too busy to transcribe it, by the way (but if you do, let me know! .... ), it's a great song to listen to anyway.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write