The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-18-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
Funny- my Mahogany guitar (SWS) is scooped, with a huge bass, and my Koa (Tacoma) is strongest in the midrange. Just the opposite of what the chart indicates. Maybe the tops make the difference. The Seagull is Spruce, and the Tacoma is Cedar.
I think the guitar body size makes a lot of difference too.
That chart has an accurate flat tone line for maple but pushes it all up toward the 'High Frequency' end - I can tell you that maple Guild jumbo's have plenty of bottom end.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-18-2020, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

The “body” of a guitar’s tone is its midrange. When a guitar has too little midrange, it can feel anemic. A guitar with too much midrange, will almost sound honky. It’s very easy to tell the difference on an electric guitar because you can EQ out the mids and hear the effect.

In a band setting, a guitar without midrange gets lost in the mix. The treble competes the cymbals and the bass competes with the bass guitar. Some will then try to compensate by increasing volume. That can make for some ear bleed because the drummer will just kick harder and the bassist will turn up, too.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I think the guitar body size makes a lot of difference too.
That chart has an accurate flat tone line for maple but pushes it all up toward the 'High Frequency' end - I can tell you that maple Guild jumbo's have plenty of bottom end.
My Tacoma is a Little Jumbo (15" bout, long scale), the Seagull is a Mini Jumbo (16" bout, short scale).
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion