The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: New Saddle before selling?
No buzzing, sounds great? Saddle is dandy. Keep playing and carry on. 17 77.27%
Sheesh - string angle is a real thing, buddy! Get that sucker a new bone saddle. 5 22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2020, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Without measurements, those photos tell us very little other than that there is very little break-angle at the bridge. To be able to take measurements, all you need is a set of feeler-gauges (available via any automotive parts/tools store), a steel rule with divisions that go right to the end of the rule, and a decent 24” straight-edge.

1) To check neck-relief - Tune the guitar to EADGBE at concert pitch (A = 440hz), put a capo on the neck at the first fret, hold down the low ‘E’ string at the 14th fret, and use the feeler gauges to check the gap between the underneath of the string and the top of the 7th fret. The generally accepted range is 0.004“ - 0.010”. My guitars are all set at ~0.006”.

2) To check 12th fret action, remove the capo and measure the gap between the top of the fret and the underneath of the low ‘E’ and high ‘e’ strings. The generally-accepted ‘good’ numbers are ~3/32” low ‘E’ and ~5/64” high ‘e’, but those are variable according to the player’s taste and style of play.

3) Nut slots should be the same level as, or a tiny hair higher than, the height of the first fret. To check nut-slot height, hold down each string in turn between the 2nd and 3rd frets, and eyeball the gap between the top of the first fret and the bottom of the string - the gap should be barely visible but, if you lightly tap the string over the fret, you should hear a ‘click’ indicating that there is actually a tiny gap (one or two thou only). If there’s no visible gap and no ‘click’, the nut-slot is probably too deep.

4) Neck-angle - Here’s a good article from Frank Ford, describing better than I can the method for checking neck-angle... http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...neckangle.html

Without a decent set of measurements, it’s really not possible for anyone to make a judgment on the condition of the guitar without having the instrument in their hands.

And, like others here, I seriously doubt the standard of a ‘qualified tech’ who recommends compression fretting to correct neck-relief in a guitar that has an adjustable truss-rod, or as an alternative to a neck reset on any guitar.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

If I get the tools before selling, I'll submit an update.

As previously posted, low E at 12th fret action is 3/32nd/2.2mm and high E is 4/64th or 1.5mm.

Once again, he didn't recommend compression fretting, he was telling me what Martin offers as options. He's a good luthier, formerly at a Martin repair shop, now building high end guitars on his own with a waiting list.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 07-11-2020, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Based on the new pictures, I would say the neck looks fairly straight. A proper relief measurement would be good. Again, it’s hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like the nut has probably been slotted too low. You can test nut slot height roughly by fretting at the 3rd fret and seeing what the clearance at the 1st fret is. Generally speaking, if there’s no gap at the first fret, it’s probably too low (unless you play with feathers on the tips of your fingers).

Based on my view of the photo and your description of the action at the first fret, the nut slots are probably too low for many players. I would probably make that guitar buzz horribly in the lower frets if I were playing with fingerpicks. If it were my guitar, I would disclose that to the potential buyer.

I assume the stated action is in mm. Those numbers would be too low for me, particularly on the treble side. At 1.5 mm, you have 0.060” action on the treble side. That would buzz terribly for me. The only solution there would be to shim the saddle or replace the saddle.

Some people may not notice the difference (or care), but I would advise a prospective buyer that if they don’t like lower-than-average action that they will likely need to replace the nut (some repair guys can backfill) and either shim or replace the saddle. Based on these new photos, I don’t see that a neck reset is imminent, but the saddle is still pretty low. For average action, you’d probably need to add 0.020” on the treble side and 0.010” on the bass side.
Thanks - this is great. The guitar doesn't buzz at all which surprised me when I first played it, and I can dig in with the best of them. I play with a pick though, not fingerpicks. Not sure if those make a difference, but no doubt the action is LOW. I used to own a Ted Thompson and it had the lowest action of any guitar I'd ever owned. This guitar rivals that, hence this whole thread.

And really, if people want a new nut and saddle, no problem, they can factor that into their offer - its a simple enough job for someone to take it to their trusted luthier and have both replaced.
Line 6 Helix.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
Thanks - this is great. The guitar doesn't buzz at all which surprised me when I first played it, and I can dig in with the best of them. I play with a pick though, not fingerpicks. Not sure if those make a difference, but no doubt the action is LOW. I used to own a Ted Thompson and it had the lowest action of any guitar I'd ever owned. This guitar rivals that, hence this whole thread.

And really, if people want a new nut and saddle, no problem, they can factor that into their offer - its a simple enough job for someone to take it to their trusted luthier and have both replaced.
Now post some photos of that Cusstone Plexi!
Old 07-11-2020, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Now post some photos of that Cusstone Plexi!
Lol, I aim to please

Untitled by steveandlisa123, on Flickr

I built it from one of those 5 watt Epiphone Chassis based on the 'Baby Will' conversion project. It is a pair of EL84s at 18 watts and just Gain and Tone as God intended.

Here's an excellent YT video showing what this little monster can do. Not my actual amp, of course, but these tones are so good.

I messed around in Photoshop to design the logo and had a local engraving shop make the face plates. I really had fun building it and its a wonderful amp. Cabinet is Epiphone 112 with a Weber Blue Alnico speaker in it.

Definitely a first amp build. Not the cleanest inside and I really should replace the black backing that has torn, but hey, it's a fun little fellow.
Line 6 Helix.

Old 07-11-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Lol, I aim to please

Untitled by steveandlisa123, on Flickr

I built it from one of those 5 watt Epiphone Chassis based on the 'Baby Will' conversion project. It is a pair of EL84s at 18 watts and just Gain and Tone as God intended.

Here's an excellent YT video showing what this little monster can do. Not my actual amp, of course, but these tones are so good.

I messed around in Photoshop to design the logo and had a local engraving shop make the face plates. I really had fun building it and its a wonderful amp. Cabinet is Epiphone 112 with a Weber Blue Alnico speaker in it.

Definitely a first amp build. Not the cleanest inside and I really should replace the black backing that has torn, but hey, it's a fun little fellow.
Fantastic tones.!!!! Wow.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

That is so, so awesome. Love it. You have great taste!

Old 07-11-2020, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That is so, so awesome. Love it. You have great taste!

That is a gorgeous stack. This thread has taken a fun turn here at the zero hour.
Line 6 Helix.

Old 07-11-2020, 02:11 PM

CussTone Amps - You'll swear it sounds freakin' great!

Funny about the saddle being in backwards. I appreciate your openness with disclosing all this information to potential buyers.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
CussTone Amps - You'll swear it sounds freakin' great!

Funny about the saddle being in backwards. I appreciate your openness with disclosing all this information to potential buyers.
Yeah might as well have fun with my last name. I'm Aussie and 'cuss' doesn't really have meaning at home, so it was entertaining when I came to USA. Plus, I'm a pastor, which adds to the fun.

'Sometimes cussing provides relief not even afforded to prayer.' Mark Twain.

The backward saddle - I'm sheepish I didn't notice it. The disclosure - I prefer that over dealing with a returned instrument.
Line 6 Helix.

Old 07-11-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah might as well have fun with my last name. I'm Aussie and 'cuss' doesn't really have meaning at home, so it was entertaining when I came to USA. Plus, I'm a pastor, which adds to the fun.

'Sometimes cussing provides relief not even afforded to prayer.' Mark Twain.

The backward saddle - I'm sheepish I didn't notice it. The disclosure - I prefer that over dealing with a returned instrument.
Sorry, I meant no disrespect - I think it's an awesome name for an Amp. For us North Americans, there's going to be that association. But it works really well and is a plus.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
Sorry, I meant no disrespect - I think it's an awesome name for an Amp. For us North American's, there's going to be that association. But it works really well.
None at all! I named my amp and all jokes about my name are truly welcome!
Line 6 Helix.

Old 07-12-2020, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

I've got to say that looking at this pic;

With the action set at 6/64-4/64, there is nothing wrong with this guitar at all. Sure, someday it's going to need a neck reset but so is every Martin guitar.

If you want to raise the action to 7 and 5, you'll have more than plenty of saddle showing and the guitar will still be wonderfully playable.

Over on the UMGF they did just show a Jc-40 for sale on Craigslist that sold for $1600
Old 07-12-2020, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I've got to say that looking at this pic;

With the action set at 6/64-4/64, there is nothing wrong with this guitar at all. Sure, someday it's going to need a neck reset but so is every Martin guitar.

If you want to raise the action to 7 and 5, you'll have more than plenty of saddle showing and the guitar will still be wonderfully playable.

Over on the UMGF they did just show a Jc-40 for sale on Craigslist that sold for $1600
Thanks. That is right in line with my Luthier’s examination.

Yeah, they seem to be all over the map, price wise. They’re oretty rare. $1600 seems like a steal, although sometimes on CL things can be low due to lack of viable buyers, Norm’s Rare Guitars has a non cutaway for $3100. I landed on $2650 and we’ll see.
Line 6 Helix.

Old 07-12-2020, 04:46 PM

"I bought it from the original owner and I'm be selling the guitar although my son is begging to keep it. Its magnificent sounding"

Quite honestly, I think you are missing the boat on this one. I think you should give it to your son and find another way to pay for the Eastman.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermithollow View Post
"I bought it from the original owner and I'm be selling the guitar although my son is begging to keep it. Its magnificent sounding"

Quite honestly, I think you are missing the boat on this one. I think you should give it to your son and find another way to pay for the Eastman.
It's a good word. It may well be one that I regret selling and maybe I'll bite the bullet and not. Its quite an instrument.

My son is 16. I have one lifetime guitar, my magnificent Mcilroy that I'll never part with. And for my second guitar, I enjoy owning for a while and then passing on. Sometimes months, sometimes years. We once had a Bourgeois OM Brazilian Rosewood for 5 or 6 months. My son was 14 then and just starting. It was the most I'd ever spent on a guitar, but I did it because I knew I could get that money back when it was time to move it on. We also had a glorious Collings 000 12 fret for a while there. It has been so fun trying so many different guitars over the last 5 years.

But all that to say, my son now has a keen ear for good acoustic tone and taste that belies his budget!
Line 6 Helix.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion