The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-14-2017, 01:56 PM

Default Happy New Year from 36,000 feet

I am currently on a flight from Dublin to LA for NAMM show and finally I can find the time to check into the forum and share a few thoughts about the year past and the one just beginning.
Firstly I want to thank everyone on here for creating a great place to discuss and further the development of carbon fibre instruments. I dont get much time to really get involved in the forum but I do check in from time to time and Sean has been doing a great job answering many of the questions you pose.
2016 was a very successful and transitional year for Emerald. We started the year off with making our move to only selling direct. a move that I was nervous about but my gut told me it was right for our company and for our customers. Thankfully my gut was right and we have just completed a year that saw our sales increase by 74% while at the same time giving us the opportunity to work much closer with our customers and give a more bespoke, custom and personal experience.
The success of this has certainly kept us all on our toes but over the year we really focused on developing our team and facilities to be able to cope with expansion while at the same time ensuring quality doesn't slip. I can assure you that is a challenge but one I am committed to overseeing personally. I sign every guitar after doing a quality check so if there is a problem the buck stops with me and I take responsibility to solve any issues that do arise.
I say this to let you know that while we are not represented in dealers any more you can still expect full back up and I hope maybe we can be even more responsive than we could be previously.
One thing that has been very rewarding this past year is the variation of builds we now do. We have been doing much more custom builds which as you all know is the area that really excites me and gives us the opportunity to be creative and show what is possible.
We launched three new instruments in 2016 , Synergy X20 Harp Guitar, Synergy Harp Ukulele and the Balor Bass.
All 3 of these have proven to be exceptional instruments and we are very excited about developing them further over the year ahead.
The 2 new Harp models completes a very exciting line of alternative instruments, Yes they are a niche but this is a niche where carbon truly excels over wood. I have loved developing these instruments and I adore the music they create. We are just getting started down the harp guitar road but its a road we are loving.
The Balor Bass has been a revelation. I first developed an acoustic bass back in 2002 and it didn't change much since then. I set out with the goal to not just build another acoustic bass guitar but to create a new instrument that embraces everything that our construction techniques allow us to do and everything we have learned from the development of our previous models.
It was always going to be unconventional but had to live up to the criteria I set.
Loud enough to be heard acoustically and compete in an acoustic jam with other guitars
Musical with a sweet voice and warm tone
Playable and accessible to the 24th fret
Ergonomic and comfortable to play both sitting and standing.
I am happy to report that it has met all these criteria and more. The first time I tuned up the prototype I was amazed by its power of projection and it has been a thrill to work with some local musicians in developing this instrument and making it known to a wider audience.
I want to dedicate the Balor to Brian McHale who was an avid member of the Forum who passed away last year. He commissioned me to build a custom 8 string acoustic bass to achieve more volume when playing unplugged. We talked often about the frailties of acoustic bass guitars and I would be very proud to have shown him the Balor. He helped inspire the new model and made this forum a better place with his contributions.
Thank you Brian, May you rest in peace!

Another highlight of 2016 was the opportunity to build a violin for the first time. A highly customised 6 string electric violin made from carbon and carved in the shape of a flying Phoenix. I think we will do a separate post on that in the coming months.
Looking ahead to 2017 it will be quite a different year. Last year was a step into the unknown but this year our direction is very clear. It will be a year of focusing on developing the products we already have, perfecting them further and making more steps to improve processes and maintain quality control.
Dont expect any new product launches in 2017. We will be working on things but won't be launching any new models this year.
We have just completed a renovation of our existing work space and added a new finishing and setup room. Its a better environment for us to work and helps us build better guitars. Im loving it every day. Maybe some of you saw that little video I posted from it a few weeks back.
We just launched our new custom select series which will be a monthly showcase of our custom abilities. Each month I will select options from our custom shop to create a limited number of exclusive custom guitars. Im looking forward to stretching my creativity with these and creating some beautiful instruments.

There is one thing I repeatedly tell my team,
It is a privilege to have the opportunity to build guitars, We are not just making boxes with strings on, rather we are building dreams that have been thought over long and hard and we have been chosen to bring that dream to life. Guitars are incredibly personal and intimate objects that we become attached to and entertain and inspire others with.
I feel blessed to be able to do this daily with the assistance of a great team and you are all part of that creative team.
Thank you and I hope you all have a fantastic 2017
Alistair
Old 01-14-2017, 02:19 PM

I enjoyed reading all of Emerald Guitars highlight for 2016, a very impressive year for Emerald Guitar.

My first carbon fiber acoustic guitar was an Emerald X7 Artisan Amber that I received 2016, and very soon an Emerald X20 Artisan Amber should be arriving at my door.

Thank you Alistair for developing such wonderful instruments.
I wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors, and have a good time at NAMM 2017

bill

Last edited by 121; 01-14-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:52 PM

Default Have A good NAMM and thanx

Nice tomread the uppdaterad and your thoughts and ideas. I really appreciate and give A deep bow and hats off for your attityden and approach. Looking forward to seeing and hearing the future developments.
Will soon be getting My own artisan with teardrop mahogany.

Cheers
Ken
Old 01-14-2017, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the update Alistair. I appreciate what you have each and every day when I pick up my X10
Old 01-14-2017, 03:29 PM

Still loving my X20 woody (and the mug!) Happy New Year and hope 2017 is even better. Great products and amazing customer service.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:04 PM

Safe travels Alistair. Thank you for all you do. Hopefully you are leaving some of your exotic creations for a road trip or two after the show.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 01-14-2017, 04:09 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Hay View Post
.....The success of this has certainly kept us all on our toes but over the year we really focused on developing our team and facilities to be able to cope with expansion while at the same time ensuring quality doesn't slip. I can assure you that is a challenge but one I am committed to overseeing personally. I sign every guitar after doing a quality check so if there is a problem the buck stops with me and I take responsibility to solve any issues that do arise.....
Thanks for your note to the forum, Alistair!

I quoted the above segment of Alistair's post because I happen to know first-hand to what extent he backs his guitars, like no other, and provides customer service and support extraordinaire. It's so nice for the owner/innovator of a company to take the time (yet again) to update us about what is happening. My experience with the company has resulted in my admiration for everything Emerald is about.....from their business model, to the history of where and why they produce their guitars at their facility in Donegal, to their vision and innovation, flexible build processes, attention to customer ideas and requests, and overall value. I just can't speak highly enough about this company. For those of us that remember Brian, mainly from the past MacNichol forum, it's nice to read of him being remembered in such a way.

I wish Emerald every success in the future!
Old 01-14-2017, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Great to see your post here, Alistair. I'm sure I speak for others when I say we appreciate your willingness to share this information, as well as your vision for what 2017 brings for Emerald. Glad to see that selling direct has worked for you. I have to say, my buying experience with Emerald this past year was outstanding. And, the X7 exceeded my expectations.

My thanks to you, Sean, and the staff at Emerald. Best wishes for continued success.

Captain Jim
Old 01-14-2017, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Alistair....

Thank you for posting this, and acknowledging this forum. I currently have a woody x 20 - 12 on order and have been working with Sean on potential options, so I'm probably one of those that Sean comes to you about and bugs you with all of my crazy ideas...lol. As a matter of fact I sent him more crazy ideas today. And it is funny that you talk about dreaming, because there certainly is something about Emerald guitars that makes one dream big with the possibilities. As far as I know you are the only company right now that indulges customer whims if possible. It appears to me that you have stumbled upon a winning combination through your unique and magical build process. I do believe that by selling Direct to customers that has enabled you to do that.

1). Exceptional customer service.
2). Reasonable prices for additional options.
3). Somehow you have managed to crack the code for the manufacturing process for carbon fiber instruments with some degree of flexibility which other manufacturers cannot seem to match.
4). The little extras Emerald is known for surprising their customers with when they receive their "functional art". This follows in the vein of Starbucks philosophy of "Surprise and Delight" for their customers.

I must say you could not have made a better choice than Sean to serve as the voice of Emerald to customers. He has been outstanding in every way. From his great responsiveness and insights on this forum and his emails to customers, he is doing an incredible job.

I must say that you have a an exceptionally strong advocacy here in this forum. It appears that once one of your customers actually has one of your instruments they become not only just a customer but an advocate for Emerald guitars. This is a business owners dream. The ability to not just gain a customer but a "fan" and advocate of Emerald instruments.

Congratulations to you and the team for the amazing progress that you've made in 2016. In 2017 I'm sure I will be even more of an advocate once I get my X20 - 12.

I wish I was going to the NAMM show so I could meet you and Sean in person, but that unfortunately won't happen this year.

Safe travels, and thanks for listening to your customers.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Last edited by TheChicagoTodd; 01-14-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:23 PM
Guest 928

And he made me two X10 and 1 X20 nylon string guitar. It really is neat to spell out what you'd like and have someone take you seriously enough to actually give it a run. Cups up to Alistair!
Old 01-14-2017, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Happy X7 owner here! Thanks for checking in. Good luck in 2017.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:34 AM

I bought my X5 in September, 2006. I really liked the guitar, but wanted a full sized CF and bought a Rainsong. I felt that I didn't need 2 CF guitars, so I sold the Emerald. Regretted it immediately. Alistair was so wonderful and gracious to work with back then. (Still is now) I remember being pretty upset when I and many others received the email about Emerald closing shop.

I was so glad to see that he was able to start back up again. I had slowed down my guitar playing, so not buying guitars anymore. Recently decided to purchase an X7. So glad that I did. Playing a lot again and enjoying it.

Thanks to Alistair for making such a great product and offering such quality customer service. Best of luck in 2017 and the future.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

My X7 was/is a pleasant surprise with how good it is....and I know you do what you say, when my X7 was completed, Sean sent me a message saying "it will ship as soon as Alistair checks it out" Good luck in the New Year!
Old 01-16-2017, 09:51 AM

Default NAMM

Unfortunately I had to turn down my invitation to NAMM this year, I went in 2015 for the first time, really enjoyed it. I've asked my friend who invited me to stop by the Emerald booth and say hello. He really likes the Chimaera I just received.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:33 PM

Alistair

As one who remembers Brian I was really touched that you dedicated the bass to him. I cannot help but believe his family would not be moved by your remembering him. He was so inspiring, sharing his love of music even among the hard times. His missed.

Really, this is what makes Emerald so very different from other makers, you really connect with your customers. Not just with professional guitar players but the everyday player who plays out of a love of music. I don't know that Brian played professionally, but I do know he loved his guitars and music. For those that knew him even a little we are the richer for it, and for you remembering him thanks!>

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber