The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

View Poll Results: What would you do???
RS Shorty 11 32.35%
CA OX 10 29.41%
Stay with Martin 13 38.24%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2013, 12:44 AM

"The truth is out there."

Old 05-15-2013, 10:14 AM

For me, (a CA GX owner), it isn't a carbon v wood question; it's about what you like in a guitar. I prefer my CA over the wood guitars I've tried in a similar price bracket, including Martins; I also prefer it over similarly priced CF guitars. If I could afford it I'd, I'd probably have a Santa Cruz over my CA. Admittedly the properties of CF are what brought me to them, after my Washburn died a horrible death after years of humidity and neglect, but I wouldn't have stayed with it if it didn't work.
So my recommendation would be try that OX.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:48 PM

I'd recommend trying a used OX and living with it for a while. If you don't like it, resell it, hopefully without much loss.

I too love the woody sound, and although I own a Rainsong, I play it only when I travel.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 05-15-2013, 08:50 PM

I don't think that it helps to have preconceived notions when considering a CF guitar. I've owned dozens of wood guitars, but I did the same as you. I did some research and also listened to all the CF videos. I always had issues with wood 12-strings. So the door was open!

A used Rainsong WS3000 12-string was for sale on MF. It was rated as being in mint condition... and it was! They have a solid return policy, so if it wasn't for me, I was just going to return it. It never went back because it had it's own personality. I liked the clarity and details of the notes. So now it sits up on the wall with four of my other wooden guitars. I intend to buy a 6-string CF in the future.

Did you actually try out in person any CF guitars?

Hopefully you're not on a quest for some impossible Holy Grail.

Undefined People Music Site
Old 05-16-2013, 04:22 AM

Strings and saddles have tremendous impact on the sound of a CF guitar. I am extremely picky about sound, and purchased my Shorty because I felt it came very close to a wood guitar with a spruce top. The Elixir Polyweb medium strings have mellowed the sound to a place where I am very comfortable.

Jeremy has done some impressive recordings here of Doug Young songs on his Shorty, and I think anyone would be hard pressed to tell the difference from a wood guitar.

CF guitars have simply evolved to a place where they can be a travel guitar and your go to guitar. Rainsong for me has proved this, and Leviora as well. I will have the Leviora steel string in my hands next week and will report back.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 05-16-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noman View Post
I don't think that it helps to have preconceived notions when considering a CF guitar. I've owned dozens of wood guitars, but I did the same as you. I did some research and also listened to all the CF videos. I always had issues with wood 12-strings. So the door was open!

A used Rainsong WS3000 12-string was for sale on MF. It was rated as being in mint condition... and it was! They have a solid return policy, so if it wasn't for me, I was just going to return it. It never went back because it had it's own personality. I liked the clarity and details of the notes. So now it sits up on the wall with four of my other wooden guitars. I intend to buy a 6-string CF in the future.

Did you actually try out in person any CF guitars?

Hopefully you're not on a quest for some impossible Holy Grail.
I really do think carbon fiber excels on a 12 string. I have a wood 12 and a carbon fiber 12 and the clarity of CF really works with a 12 where a wood 12 can get busy and muddy with all the overtones.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 05-16-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I really do think carbon fiber excels on a 12 string. I have a wood 12 and a carbon fiber 12 and the clarity of CF really works with a 12 where a wood 12 can get busy and muddy with all the overtones.
We're going to get along fine on this board.

The other amazing thing about the CF 12-string is no bracing or truss rod. Let that be another testament to its strength and uniqueness. If there was ever a candidate for longevity, then I have found a family heirloom to pass on. Too bad I'm the only musician in my family, but one can hope.

Undefined People Music Site
Old 05-16-2013, 10:26 PM

JD - make a liar out of me! I had a listen to your sound cloud and that martin-00M sounds pretty sweet!
Old 05-17-2013, 09:33 PM

Both. A Martin Dread and a RS shorty would give you two very different sounds. Both are worth exploring for a great many years.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 05-17-2013, 11:25 PM

Just to make things more complicated, give a CA GX or GXi a try. I'm no great judge, but a professional musician/bud of mine has used my GXi to record and is saving up his pennies to buy one...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber