The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-30-2012, 08:09 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Here is another little psychoacoustic factoid: When two people are talking and really communicating well, they will often talk over each other, ladies more that men. When they begin to talk over each other, they naturally raise their voices so that both people can hear both voices. When one person is speaking and noise occurs in the background, he will most often naturally raise his volume to be heard over the background. He will also restrain the dynamic range of his voice to prevent being drowned out. It is completely natural and practiced without thinking.

However, when a person SINGs into a mic over a band or trax, it is not nearly as natural to raise the level or limit the dynamic range of the of the voice. The "presence" to cut through is often a skill that must be developed.

In professional voice-over work, another interesting skill that must be developed is speaking with the same "presence" when you know your voice track is going to be placed over music. If a person speaks naturally, his voice won't "cut through" very well when placed above music. That business of "presence" has to be learned, and the amount often must be adjusted to the music that the voice will be fighting.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-30-2012, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

However, when a person SINGs into a mic over a band or trax, it is not nearly as natural to raise the level or limit the dynamic range of the of the voice. The "presence" to cut through is often a skill that must be developed.

Bob
Ah Ha ! perhaps that is why when I was in a Nashville recording studio for the first time, doing the vocal over dubs, the engineer had me tell him exactly where I liked the Head Phone mix ( volume wise ) then he said "I'm going to raise the level a bit to get get you put a bit more energy into the vocal"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-30-2012, 09:54 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ah Ha ! perhaps that is why when I was in a Nashville recording studio for the first time, doing the vocal over dubs, the engineer had me tell him exactly where I liked the Head Phone mix ( volume wise ) then he said "I'm going to raise the level a bit to get get you put a bit more energy into the vocal"
Indeed, you can manipulate the headphones to cause a different performance from the artist. I do it all the time with people who are new to the process.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-17-2021, 08:06 AM

If you are looking for mastering plugins, I would recommend checking this post, you will also find some free plugins there at the bottom.

https://integraudio.com/6-best-mastering-chain-plugins/

That site also includes acoustic guitar plugins so you can check that as well with some great freebies

https://integraudio.com/7-best-acous...itars-plugins/
Old 12-17-2021, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix27 View Post
If you are looking for mastering plugins, I would recommend checking this post, you will also find some free plugins there at the bottom.

https://integraudio.com/6-best-mastering-chain-plugins/

That site also includes acoustic guitar plugins so you can check that as well with some great freebies

https://integraudio.com/7-best-acous...itars-plugins/

!!!ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT!!!

This thread is nine years old. I'll bet he's found some plugins by now.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 12-22-2021, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffcharli View Post
Thanks! I actually have quite a bit of software. DP7, Studio One, Wave Editor...

What I'm really looking for are some additional VST plug-ins, and especially compressors and limiters.

Anybody using anything they like?
Studio One has a dedicated Mastering option have you tried that ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD