The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-20-2009, 08:20 PM

Question What to practice?

Hi All,

Does anyone have some recommendations on exercises, scales, techniques, etc. to practice?

I've been playing guitar on and off since I was a kid, but really got back into it in the last few years. Aside from a few lessons back in the fourth grade when I got my first guitar, I've been largely self-taught, mostly by learning to play songs by figuring out the chords and techniques needed to play them. I've gotten to the point where I'm a decent player with a respectable repertoire of chords. My skills mostly apply to playing acoustic / rhythm guitar, but I'd really like to expand my technique to be a better lead and all-around player.

I love to practice, and I'm fortunate to frequently have at least an hour a day to play, but I'm not sure what I should be practicing. I've learned several scales, and continue to work on those, but I feel like I've kind of hit a wall in terms of what I can teach myself - in short, I don't know what to work on, because I simply don't know what I don't know... hope that makes sense!

Any and all advice is humbly appreciated!

Thanks,

DJ
Old 09-20-2009, 08:26 PM

Here is one of the better online sites for excercises, lessons, etc. Complete with videos.
There is a Lesson Index on the side bar.

http://www.justinguitar.com/index.php

Many good excercises in the Technique link on the sidebar.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-000-Technique.php

Last edited by timba33; 09-20-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

Hi DJ...
First of all, hello and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have put some hours into the instrument we all love so much!

It's hard to know where to point you for lessons, but if you were to go to HomeSpunTapes.com and look over their lesson DVDs they are graded from 1-5 (one being beginner and five expert).

Another resource is Pete Huttlinger's ''Essential Exercises for fingerstyle guitar'' many of which could be adapted to flatpicking as well.

Also, John Carlini has a DVD out called ''A Musical Journey with John Carlini'' which covers some basic techniques for several styles. It presumes you are a bit experienced and comes with TAB or Notation (perhaps both).

It's a fun little DVD to watch and try some of the things he lays out...I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Lastly, AcousticMusicResource.com has DVDs a plenty which are done by some of the best players currently in the business.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-20-2009, 11:40 PM

Try looking HERE
Old 09-21-2009, 05:27 AM

I have an exercise I go through almost each day in 45 minutes in which I play about 400 two octave scale/mode/arpeggio fingerings. After doing this for about 20 years, I wrote the exercise out in a book [Play Skillfully]. Its been selling around the world and a guitar professor at Berklee is using it in his private lessons up there.

I've put a lot of thought into strategically planning a practice regime. As the end goal is to create music (not scale exercises) I believe that 75% - 80% of our practice time should be devoted to learning new songs, arranging songs, coming up with new licks, etc. I've seen guys spend the majority of their time on scales, and while that creates great technique, it does not create a great repertoire.

I tend to divide my practice into 3 levels: Theory (scales, arpeggios, etc.), Technique (tone, relaxed hands, speed, cleanliness, vibrato, etc.), and repertoire. I also set goals that I know may take a few years. For instance at one point in my playing I spent a couple year working on vibrato (every time I sat down to watch TV, I'd silently work on vibrato with an electric guitar. I'd mute the strings with my right hand and just slowly wiggle each finger back & forth on every fret of every string. Four years ago I launched into a new right hand flat picking technique I knew would take years to master - I'm almost there. But through it all, I devote the majority of my effort into learning new songs, chord solos, classic licks off records, as well as arranging songs for guitar.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUES PLAYER View Post
Try looking HERE
Marty is great.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:50 AM

+1 for www.justinguitar.com
Free video lessons are great from beginner to seasoned player. his accent sometimes is hard to understand, but otherwise A+.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:31 PM
HarleySpirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnine21 View Post
Hi All,

Does anyone have some recommendations on exercises, scales, techniques, etc. to practice?

I've been playing guitar on and off since I was a kid, but really got back into it in the last few years. Aside from a few lessons back in the fourth grade when I got my first guitar, I've been largely self-taught, mostly by learning to play songs by figuring out the chords and techniques needed to play them. I've gotten to the point where I'm a decent player with a respectable repertoire of chords. My skills mostly apply to playing acoustic / rhythm guitar, but I'd really like to expand my technique to be a better lead and all-around player.

I love to practice, and I'm fortunate to frequently have at least an hour a day to play, but I'm not sure what I should be practicing. I've learned several scales, and continue to work on those, but I feel like I've kind of hit a wall in terms of what I can teach myself - in short, I don't know what to work on, because I simply don't know what I don't know... hope that makes sense!

Any and all advice is humbly appreciated!

Thanks,

DJ
I said it before... and I'll say it again...
Try This! Practise Often!
Old 09-26-2009, 03:38 PM

You've received some excellent advice, djnine21. I just want to add another warm welcome to the AGF family. Glad you've joined us. Feel free to join in the conversation!

cotten
Old 09-26-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
I have an exercise I go through almost each day in 45 minutes in which I play about 400 two octave scale/mode/arpeggio fingerings. After doing this for about 20 years, I wrote the exercise out in a book [Play Skillfully]. Its been selling around the world and a guitar professor at Berklee is using it in his private lessons up there.

I've put a lot of thought into strategically planning a practice regime. As the end goal is to create music (not scale exercises) I believe that 75% - 80% of our practice time should be devoted to learning new songs, arranging songs, coming up with new licks, etc. I've seen guys spend the majority of their time on scales, and while that creates great technique, it does not create a great repertoire.

I tend to divide my practice into 3 levels: Theory (scales, arpeggios, etc.), Technique (tone, relaxed hands, speed, cleanliness, vibrato, etc.), and repertoire. I also set goals that I know may take a few years. For instance at one point in my playing I spent a couple year working on vibrato (every time I sat down to watch TV, I'd silently work on vibrato with an electric guitar. I'd mute the strings with my right hand and just slowly wiggle each finger back & forth on every fret of every string. Four years ago I launched into a new right hand flat picking technique I knew would take years to master - I'm almost there. But through it all, I devote the majority of my effort into learning new songs, chord solos, classic licks off records, as well as arranging songs for guitar.

I hope you have that saved in a document somewhere for all the times you've needed to post it! Great work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write