The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-04-2001, 05:03 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.
Post *#@*# A chord!

Ok. I'm cooking along, cruising thru Mark Hansons "Travis Picking" book, and I get to exercise 44A, the exercises dealing with "slurs". Is it just me, or does anybody else find it impossible to combine hammer ons and pull offs on the 2nd and 3rd strings of an open A chord? I am used to playing the open A form with my 3rd finger acting as a "mini" bar over the 2,3 and 4th strings. When I try to fret those strings with individual fingers there just isn't enough room to get all 3 of my fingers in there and have each string sound clean. Now I am supposed to pull off the second string and a beat later hammer on the 3rd string? How in the hell do I hammer one of my big fat fingers onto that 3rd string between the other 2 fingers (after replacing the pull off)?
Old 02-04-2001, 05:31 AM

Talking

I've been playing the open "A" chord for years using the last three fingers of my hand. I don't have real big fingers but the first three never did fit an open "A" very well. After I switched to my little finger and the two next to it, I play it nice and clean.
Old 02-04-2001, 07:38 AM

Try playing an A chord with ring finger on 2nd string, middle finger on 4th string, and index finger on 3rd string. Your index finger would be pointing in from behind sort of.

You're pointing out why Taylor makes 3 different size necks, 1 11/16, 1 3/4, and 1 7/8 inches. I have small hands and wish they would make a 1 5/8 and 1 9/16 inch neck, also.

Remember, it won't be the end of the world if you can't do an exercise here or there.What do you think of the book in general? His second book takes you off into a new world of playing.
Old 02-04-2001, 03:19 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.
Thanks guys-Mapletees, I ended up fretting the way you described when I figured out my chubby little fingers just wouldn't work any other way and it is a better. I really am enjoying the book. One of the best instructional books I have come across in a long while. He does a good job of presenting things in very simple manner and then incorporating them into playing. I find I keep having to slow myself down from forging ahead in the book in my excitement!
Old 02-05-2001, 02:55 PM

Use mapletree's A-fingering when you have hammer-ons around the second and third frets. Use your A-fingering barre for delta blues (high A) reaches/hammers/slides with your pinky. Practice both and use both. Sometimes you may find other finergings to work better, depending on the "next move".

BTW -- how do you like the Hanson book? I have gotten through the book pretty well but find his demonstrations to be way too fast. Even if I could play these pieces at that speed (and most I can), I'm not sure I would. He sound rushed and non-musical. Otherwise I have found it to be one of the best Travis picking books. I am now working on his second in this series (Fingerstyle Solo for Guitar) -- much trickier than pattern picking. God luck.
Old 02-05-2001, 06:19 PM

Hey!

Right on about the need for mastering multiple fingerings.

Does he not do every example at two different speeds on your recording? That would be news to me. On mine (and every one I've heard) he does examples at half and full speed.....???????????? I hope he hasn't changed that.

But even at full speed...rushed and non-musical? Eek. Nobody is allowed to disagree with me. Those are the rules. Just kidding.

I'm glad you like it otherwise. Remember, a little review goes a long way if you find yourself getting bogged down in the second book. Solo guitar is a whole new ball game. Enjoy!
Old 02-06-2001, 10:05 AM

Mapletrees -- Yes, I think he does play in two speeds, very slow and very fast. His "performance speed" is just too fast in my opinion - and I can pick pretty quickly I think.

For example, the last piece "Over and Out Rag" (I think that's the name of the piece) played by Mark at performance speed sounds very rushed (to me anyways). I think it sounds so rushed that the result is a mechanical rendition. While I keep up with him fine, I feel like the metronome is speeding up as he goes along. When playing that piece by myself, I never go that fast.
Old 02-06-2001, 10:59 AM

Smile

I went back and played some of Over and Out Rag at a pace I thought pleasant. The metronome never lies. I agree with you, I prefer it quite a bit slower.

Just to rave on about the quality of the books...can you imagine giving some instructor $12, $15, or $20 a pop for each page or two of the books? I can't even imagine finding an instructor who could break things down in such an organized and logical fashion in the first place at any cost. When you do find good instructional books they are a tremendous value in comparison to lessons.

It would definitely make sense to work with an instructor on arranging music for solo guitar - if one needed the help with that aspect of playing - in my opinion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell