The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-11-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
If you have a Lowes nearby they likely stock these:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-T...r-Kit/50021986

They are commonly sold online as nut files, and they work to a degree. Not like real nut files, but the set doesn't cost $100 either.

BTW, the CA glue (super glue) and baking soda trick works quite well. Use a thin CA (I think the stuff sold as Super Glue/Crazy Glue is thin), and mask the fingerboard, head stock, and the parts of the nut that you want to avoid gluing.
I have a few of these, while the can work in a pinch but only for the heavier strings. None of those have a tip cleaner small enough to work an E or B string slot.

Super Glue + Baking soda does work but it's not a permanent fix, it will eventually wear down, and have also found that you will need to liberally lube that slot or you're going to have tuning issues on that string.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
None of those have a tip cleaner small enough to work an E or B string slot.
A $10 X-Acto saw blade and handle work well.

Quote:
Super Glue + Baking soda does work but it's not a permanent fix, it will eventually wear down, and have also found that you will need to liberally lube that slot or you're going to have tuning issues on that string.
That hasn't been my experience. I've found CA glue and baking soda to be a "permanent" fix and it has never needed lubrication. Having a suitable size slot for the string diameter, and shaping it correctly, in my experience, eliminates the need for lubrication.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Having a suitable size slot for the string diameter, and shaping it correctly, in my experience, eliminates the need for lubrication.
Agreed. However, when in doubt, you can use a sharp #2 pencil to apply a little graphite. It won't help an undersized slot, but it will help lube a slot that is just a little rough.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair