The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-07-2019, 03:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Alvarez MD-95 Top Repair

I saw this Alvarez Masterworks MD-95 acoustic with top damage. I will post 2 photos, one of the damage, and one of the front of the guitar. How would you recommend going about repairing the top? I have asked how this happened from the owner, and if he knows if any braces are involved. Assuming the bracing is okay would you want to push up the top to close the cracks, and use some Gluboost to stabilize the top? Also, does anyone know what type of finish Alvarez would have used on the top? The seller is asking $200 for this guitar which looks like it sells for $600+ on Reverb. One ad says solid spruce top, and solid Rosewood back, and sides. I have done some repairs on tops, but nothing exactly like this. Thanks for any advice. Photos coming shortly.
Clifford

https://i1017.photobucket.com/albums...psisiva9e3.jpg

Last edited by Southern Cross; 09-07-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:30 PM

Have you seen the guitar in person, or just going by photos? How is the side adjacent to the top damage?

It is a difficult place to reach. There is a lining and the top likely broke at the edge of the lining, making it difficult to reinforce the break. Otherwise, pretty much as you stated: push it out as best as possible, glue, touch-up finish, if you want. CA glue will have the tendency to wick into the exposed/broken end grain, potentially discolouring it. I'd probably use wood glue for the break and CA glue for the finish touch-up.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Charles, you’re right I haven’t seen it in person. I have sent the seller a message to try to find out what happened to cause the damage. Thanks for the advice on the repair.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:58 PM

thats pretty much right where the lower leg of the treble side X-brace is inset into the lining. So you would definitely want to know that's okay. Also cross grain cracks are more difficult to deal with then ones that run right along the annular rings. And yeah since the end grain is exposed CA might wick in there and discolor it. Titebond would work well here. PErsonally I would probably move on and try and find something else. If you could actually look at it and play it then thats a differeent story.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Cross View Post
I have sent the seller a message to try to find out what happened to cause the damage. Thanks for the advice on the repair.
To me it appears its been dropped on its side, note the purfling is no longer following a smooth path but has been distorted, that happens from being hit on the side, which has flexed and burst the top.

Repairable definetly, invisible most likely not unless finishing is that persons specialty and even then...maybe.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 09-08-2019, 09:40 AM

My one-time experience buying, repairing, and selling a guitar damaged similarly to this one suggests to me that a used guitar with a repair on this kind of damage will have a sell-off value of about what OP says the owner wants for his damaged guitar. Idea being that repairs are lost money.

For myself, in my present circumstances, I'd be willing to pay half what the seller asked for, as-is. Looks to be a project I could enjoy. And I'd be willing to cover the shipping, up to a point. Got to leave some meat on the bone for the seller.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Phavriluk, I agree with you. I have decided to pass on this one. Too many other good deals that don't need repair.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair