The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-23-2013, 05:18 AM

Default Zoom R8 stereo internal mics vs external mics

I am new to recordingand right now I am messing around with just learning the Zoom R8. I am recording with the internal mics and direct in. The internal mics are suprisingly good. My question is this if I were to buy an external mic, how good of a mic would I need to buy to upgrade from the internal. I would think a cheap mic wouldn't have anything over it except for positioning.

Thanks
Guild Gad F-130CRE
Yamaha FG 110
Eastman MD305 Mandolin
65 Fender DRRI
Loads of Effects
Old 04-24-2013, 05:34 AM

I have the R24, but the same comments apply for the R8.

First off, you'll notice an improvement with just about any external mic that you would purchase unless you're thinking about using an inexpensive dynamic mic.

Mic positioning is the biggy, although since the R8 is flash-based it can be used in any position. Your choices are limited by the distance between the mics however. Holding it in position and seeing the display could be a bit challanging, though.

If you want to limit the amount you'll spend you should consider what you want to record. Generally, if you are doing vocals you should pick up a large diaphram condenser, but if you're sticking to guitar or other small instruments a small diaphram condenser should be your first choice. Either of these options can be purchased in the 50-100 dollar range. A lot of newer recordists go with one of each type for flexability.

Stereo micing of your acoustic would require two mics obviously, in that case I'd pick up two of the small diaphram condensers.

Perhaps even more inportant to you is the environment in which you record, that's sometimes the most difficult to overcome. Room sound and background noise become increasingly noticeable as you go up the recording food chain.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD