The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-14-2001, 11:53 PM

Post Basic Music Theory - Chapter 4 (with quiz)

How come I'm losing my smiley faces?

A true techno-doofus.

Onward.....

The Cycle of Fifths (Circle of Fifths) - more than just a memory device - useful in progressions.....

Recall the C major scale had no sharps. It's notes were C D E F G A B C

What's the 5th note of the C major scale?

I get the note G....hopefully you do.

When we made the G major scale, how many sharps did we get?

G major scale = G A B C D E F# G.

Aha...We got one sharp (take note of where the F# occurs - next to last note of the scale)

Now, what's the 5th note of the G major scale? I get the note D.

How many sharps did we get when we made the D major scale last chapter?

D major scale = D E F# G A B C# D.

Aha...two sharps that time. Note that the D major scale retains the F# of the G major scale, and now we again have a sharp on the next to last note (C#)

Hey, a Daily Double....

Alex: It is the root note of the major scale containing three sharps.

Contestant: What is Q?

Alex: No. Not Q. Oh, that's too bad. I'm afraid I'm going to have to act all snobby and superior-like with you. Ooooooo, no, no, no...we were looking for A. Yes, I'm afraid we were looking for A. Of course, the A is what we were looking for, and you clearly did not say A. You said Q. That's incorrect. Yes, the answer was in fact A. So sorry. We were just talking about fifths, and you didn't remember the number 5. Yes, the number 5.

Ok ok.......

Well, the fifth note of the D major scale is in fact A. Make an A major scale. Get 3 sharps? You should have

A major scale = A B C# D E F# G# A.

Note we again retained the sharps from the previous scale (the F# and C# of the D major scale). Also, again, the new sharp (G#) came on the next to last note.

The pattern keeps going. Do you remember how odd it seemed when we first named the 12 notes of music back in Chapter 1? Didn't seem like a very simple way of naming the notes. It hopefully doesn't seem as disorganized now.

The fifth note now would be the note E.
I'll leave that up to you. You could keep going and make the E major scale, then the B major scale. You would continue to use sharps. Instead of doing that though, let's go the other way and follow the.....

Cycle of Fourths.

Go back to the C major scale....no sharps...just C D E F G A B C.

Patterns here if we go by fourths?????

The fourth note is F. When we make a major scale on F (we did it last chapter...use flats) we get

F major scale = F G A Bb C D E F

Note that we got one flat. Where did it occur? We got the new flat on the 4th note.

Make sure you get that for the F major scale. Recall that there is no note between B and C, nor is there a note between E and F.

Now if we go to the 4th note of the F major scale we have the note Bb. Let's make the Bb major scale. Remember, we still just follow the formula WWHWWWH - that doesn't change.

I get Bb C D Eb F G A Bb. Now, of course you see three flats written there but there are only two DIFFERENT flats, the Bb and the Eb. Notice that in relation to the prior scale, we retained the old flat and the new flat pops up on the 4th note.

The fourth note was Eb. Make the Eb major scale. I get Eb major scale =

Eb F G Ab Bb C D Eb

Again, we retained the two old flats and our new flat popped up on the 4th note giving us a total of three DIFFERENT flats.

If you're not falling asleep like me, continue for your quiz.............answers tommorrow.

[This message has been edited by mapletrees (edited 02-14-2001).]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell