The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-13-2020, 11:17 PM

Default Guitalele (or guitarlele?) string tuning recommendation

I bought an Ohana guitarlele right here on AGF. Got it for fun and for one of my little guys to start learning on.

Question is this, you can run it in A tuning (ADGCEA), a.k.a. standard guitarlele tuning or string it for E tuning (EADGBE).

Looking for some advice on which would be better for my 6 year old who wants to start playing guitar. As well as for taking out to the park and such.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:55 AM

If you tune it to guitar standard E, you'll find the strings to be pretty floppy there. It sounds punchier in the A tuning it was built for. However, no harm in trying the lower tuning. You might also try G tuning, which I believe is what they would call a Terz guitar tuning.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:15 AM

I'd go with the "quart" tuning (A - A) and capo your guitar at the fifth fret when you're playing together; BTW unless he's particularly small he'll be outgrowing that guitalele in about a year or so (former elementary-school music teacher here) so you might want to start scoping out something in the GS Mini/Size-0 range...
Old 04-14-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I'd go with the "quart" tuning (A - A) and capo your guitar at the fifth fret when you're playing together; BTW unless he's particularly small he'll be outgrowing that guitalele in about a year or so (former elementary-school music teacher here) so you might want to start scoping out something in the GS Mini/Size-0 range...
Oh, I already got him a Martin D Jr., but it’s simply too big for him now. Just way too much of a body full. But it’s cool, because I’ve got a 3 year old and a 4 month old coming right behind

In fact the Ohana is a present for my middle boy when he turns 4 (he’s quite jealous of big bro hugging the Martin)
Old 04-14-2020, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

I was/am seriously thinking of a guitalele as a travel type guitar.

This is the best info I found and is quite helpful

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-14-2020, 08:13 AM

Aquila has made these for the purpose:

Aquila Guilele Strings 153C Standard E Tuning Red Series Full Set
This Aquila Guilele Strings set is specifically designed for the Guilele (guitalele or guitarlele) that has a scale length of about 17 inches or 420-432 mm with six strings.

Tuning: e a d g b e
Scale Length: 17"

https://www.stringsbymail.com/aquila...set-18570.html
Old 04-15-2020, 10:42 AM

Well, I think I’ll try it. Not sure how well it will work but I’m happy to report back if anyone is curious.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:06 PM

Since you and kids are heading towards guitar and not ukulele it's best to stay with EADGBE and avoid having to switch later.

Ya'll can also follow the tradition of watching and following each others fingering when you play together.

À next size worth considering is the Cordoba Mini II (not the smaller Cordoba Mini) which has a 23" scale, nylon strings for tender young fingers and a narrower fretboard than a short scale classical guitar.

It's also worth considering a baritone ukulele which uses the DGBE portion of EADGBE. Less complicated and less spread for short young fingers.

Cheers.

Old 04-17-2020, 01:45 AM

Cordoba makes a baritone six string Uke also, which would give you the E to e tuning in a smaller package. I've played one and it sounded nice enough.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments