The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-21-2015, 12:29 PM

Thank you Ray It's an education having these things explained, particularly by the luthiers developing / refining the processes themselves!

Plus, I know it dragged you away from the new workshop gadget, so thanks again!

Jon
Old 01-22-2015, 03:22 PM

As promised, have had pictures of the completed, voiced back from Ray They arrived yesterday, and I'll be able to post them tomorrow!

Jon
Old 01-24-2015, 04:04 PM

...and here they are!

Using go bars to glue the patches at each brace intersection:

Voiced back, before being cleaned up then shellac'd:

I love the way this is looking I'm guessing that a shellac coat on the inside might reduce the rate at which the Ziricote absorbs/bleeds moisture, making it less likely that the wood will expand, contract, or otherwise make a nuisance of itself! Always liked the way it looks through the soundhole as well

Jon
Old 01-25-2015, 12:57 PM

Confirmed by Ray:

"...The shellac on the back... is applied to slow down the moisture absorption when moving the guitar from one environment to another. My guitars are built with thin membranes on the top and back and therefore are more prone to environmental shifts. It's imperative to apply a thin coat of shellac to slow the absorption process down so the wood doesn’t crack. Plus it looks nice "

Jon
Old 02-22-2015, 10:17 AM

Ray's been busily sending different design ideas for the rosette...

This is the one that drew my eye the most (and it was a HARD choice - wish I could have a guitar made for each rosette design!)(get ye behind me, GAS )

There was something he did on another design that I've asked if he might incorporate into this one... watch this space!! I've also asked if he'd send a drawing of it within his cutaway OM outline, just to see how it'll look together.

Jon
Old 02-22-2015, 11:47 AM

WOWOW Jon that is simply gorgeous.... Ray's design sense has always been one of my favourites and this is no exception. Joel and I have yet to come up with a rosette yet for my build and I hope to have the same feeling with mine as I just did with yours
Old 02-22-2015, 01:52 PM

I have found the rosette design to be one of the toughest choice yet for my upcoming build...I started a thread on it, but I still am a little lost. I am waiting for design ideas from the luthier and inlay artist and I KNOW that they will come up with something killer for me. I gave up and am leaving it to them.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:25 AM

Just settled on this one:

...now I can't wait for the whittling / routing / tunnelling to begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
WOWOW Jon that is simply gorgeous.... Ray's design sense has always been one of my favourites and this is no exception. Joel and I have yet to come up with a rosette yet for my build and I hope to have the same feeling with mine as I just did with yours
I've always loved his design sense, and it seems to be improving as he goes on! I had a strong initial reaction to this one too, which has only been reinforced the more I've stared at it

Bet Joel comes up with a cracker for you as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I have found the rosette design to be one of the toughest choice yet for my upcoming build...I started a thread on it, but I still am a little lost. I am waiting for design ideas from the luthier and inlay artist and I KNOW that they will come up with something killer for me. I gave up and am leaving it to them.
I thought I would find the choice hard, but ultimately it almost made itself! Ray provided some really varied initial ideas, we backed & forthed with an addition to this from one of those first variants, and that was it!

Jon
Old 02-25-2015, 11:18 AM

I think Ray, along with Michi Matsuda, does some of the nicest and most original rosettes on the planet. This one is shaping up nicely.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 02-25-2015, 06:53 PM

He is currently working on our rosette so we shall see soon enough

And boy is yours turning out great!! His signature cutaway complements the style so perfectly!!
Old 02-25-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
I think Ray, along with Michi Matsuda, does some of the nicest and most original rosettes on the planet. This one is shaping up nicely.
I'd add Jason Kostal and Simon Fay, then sub-note everyone who copies the members of the quartet
Old 02-27-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
100% agreement Bill They're my two favourites from the purely aesthetic standpoint, although - in a different vein - I also very much like the work of Simon Fay and Tom Doerr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
He is currently working on our rosette so we shall see soon enough

And boy is yours turning out great!! His signature cutaway complements the style so perfectly!!
Exciting times Ray's starting the work on this rosette today... I can't wait to see the design realised!

I've always liked this cutaway shape... plus this is only the second look at this spruce: looks silky!

Jon
Old 03-08-2015, 05:23 PM

I've had the next lot of pics from Ray: rosette is done!

Completed:

Closeup:

I love how this has turned out... and it'll really take off under finish!

Jon
Old 03-09-2015, 12:04 AM

Fantastic!
Old 03-11-2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) UK View Post
Fantastic!
Thanks Trevor (though I hear you're inlaying now too? When are we going to see a complete Moyle mandolin at TAMCO? )

I had high hopes / expectations when I came and talked to you about specs for this 2 1/2 years ago... but if I'd known it'd turn out like this - or that the process of building would be so addictive...

...well, I think the wait would've gone from merely agonising to completely unbearable!

Jon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop