The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-06-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
Steve, I didn't realize your Kostal was Madagascar rosewood. I typically find that tonewood to be a tad warmer than BRW, but this wasn't the case in your samples.
The truth is, we don't know.

I ordered Honduran RW because that was an affordable upgrade for me. However, when Jason started working with the wood I has chosen, he said it was far more reminiscent of madrose, although it had been sold to him as "definitely Honduran". On balance, Jason thinks it is madrose and Ralph Bown has had a good look at it and thinks the same. Ultimately, I don't care what it's made from - it sounds great. I would, however, expect honduran to sound zingy, all other things considered.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 05-06-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
The truth is, we don't know.

I ordered Honduran RW because that was an affordable upgrade for me. However, when Jason started working with the wood I has chosen, he said it was far more reminiscent of madrose, although it had been sold to him as "definitely Honduran". On balance, Jason thinks it is madrose and Ralph Bown has had a good look at it and thinks the same. Ultimately, I don't care what it's made from - it sounds great. I would, however, expect honduran to sound zingy, all other things considered.

Cheers,
Steve
Yeah, it didn't sound quite like MadRose to me. Of course, its impossible to tell from my perspective. It really does make little difference as opposed to the instrument sounding they way you like it. I have a 13 year old Ryan and I still don't know what type of spruce the top is made of. Kevin Ryan's notes say Englemann. But I took a picture and sent it to him and he said it looks more like Red Spruce. To me, the tight grain and color after 13 years of exposure strongly resembles Sitka. So who knows? And who cares? It sounds the way it does no matter what I think its made of!
Old 05-06-2014, 05:34 PM

Nicely played, Steve.

Without looking at the previous posts I voted #1. The guitar sounded "bigger" to me -- but it could've been that you were sitting a hair closer to the mic, etc.

Both sounded very good to me.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:24 AM

I also thought no. 1 was the Traugott, it seemed a tad more zingy and the Kostal seems to have a little more woof and depth to it, as well as a teeny bit of what I would call brittleness, which I hear more in the recordings of the MD. Whatever, they both sound fabulous and I couldn't choose a preference. Lovely playing as always Steve.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:46 AM

Quote:
I hope readers appreciate I was joking?!

I have no idea when Jason will be back to work but, as Michael Watts said to me today, he's a very tough guy.

Hell, he's probably back at work now having discharged himself. Who cares about a few fractures?!

Cheers,
Steve
I did. I assume a few years wait?

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 05-08-2014, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fngrstyl View Post
I assume a few years wait?
It's a bit more than that, depending. Jason's list is closed currently as he had reached 6 years and felt that closing it was the only sensible thing to do. In that queue, he has a number of slots reserved by dealers so it's possible to get a guitar sooner that way.

For anyone interested in commissioning a guitar, the best thing to do is contact him. At least that way, you get the score from the horse's mouth.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 05-08-2014, 04:46 AM

Quote:
It's a bit more than that, depending. Jason's list is closed currently as he had reached 6 years and felt that closing it was the only sensible thing to do. In that queue, he has a number of slots reserved by dealers so it's possible to get a guitar sooner that way.

For anyone interested in commissioning a guitar, the best thing to do is contact him. At least that way, you get the score from the horse's mouth.

Cheers,
Steve
How gratifying that must be to know so many people want one of your guitars that badly!

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 05-08-2014, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

It only makes sense for an individual luthier to stop a waiting list when you have a 6-year (e.g. 60-75 guitars!) waiting list. I have no idea what I'll be doing in 2-3 years let alone 6! It is as others have said, a remarkable achievement for a relatively young and inexperienced luthier to achieve such a level of market demand.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:07 PM

Hi Steve,

I haven't been on here for ages, but delighted to catch up with your playing and new Kostal. Both very nice indeed.

Bourgeois JOM custom - Adirondack/koa
Brook OM custom (maybe!) - Bubinga/Sitka
Lowden F 25th anniversary model - European/Brazilian
David Oddy J - Englemann/Brazilian
David Oddy mandocello - European spruce/flame maple
David Oddy A4 mandolin
Old 07-14-2014, 09:59 AM

wow this experiment is intriguing... LOVE both guitars... do you still have them both, Steve? Any chance I could try them and, more importantly, are you still selling that Traugott? I think I did try that guitar at some point but would love to speak to you about it as soon as you can. thanks!
Old 07-14-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basu View Post
wow this experiment is intriguing... LOVE both guitars... do you still have them both, Steve? Any chance I could try them and, more importantly, are you still selling that Traugott? I think I did try that guitar at some point but would love to speak to you about it as soon as you can. thanks!
I've pm'ed you; check your inbox.

Cheers,
Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop