The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-26-2022, 10:49 AM

Probably Amsterdam years ago Maloe Melo . A very dark and small club . But when you walk through the doors you feel like you are playing in a museum . Pictures of everyone from the Beatles to ZZ Top playing there are on the wall . We did a huge show with Texas musicians and European musicians . We even did a pre radio show on RedLight radio …now gone . Every year now when we go back to Amsterdam I try to play a little solo .
Old 06-26-2022, 10:55 AM

Moorea (Tahiti/French Poly) the bar at Club Bali Hai. Friday night is happy hour, where the guy that repairs air conditioning sits next to the islands sales rep for Pepsi. The bar sits on Cook's Bay. Its hard to find a more beautiful location. Local boys show up early and start playing and singing into the night. As the evening moves along folks drift away to other places and restaurants. Eventually just a hand full of us drinking and enjoying the night. My wife says why don't you get your guitar and play something. Our over the water bungalow was not far away so I got my Baby Taylor and returned. Played a few with some folks providing the vocals. Lowest paying gig ever, but in my memory maybe the best place I've ever been. Repeated this many times over the years.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 06-26-2022, 11:21 AM

I would say various side canyons and rock alcoves of the grand canyon, like Blacktail and Redwall cavern. Once I got to play harmonica for an improvisational 12 bar blues song that went on for about 30 minutes with the fiddle and cello player of a international renowned string quartet, just the 3 of us, it was magic moment of music at National Canyon.

My largest audience was opening up one year for Telluride Blues and Brews, the promoter was a friend and fan and asked me to do a 20 minute set, but the crowd was way into it and the sound crew was having some issues, so I played for a full 45 minute set.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:58 AM

Rock City, Nottingham, UK.

Given that U2, Oasis, RATM, REM, Ramones, G'nR etc. etc. have played there, that'll do me.
Hell, I even saw Yngwie there a few weeks after I'd been on the stage myself!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 06-26-2022, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Not the biggest place we played, but the best place we played, The Cavern Club, Liverpool with my band The Modulators in May of 2010. That's me in the middle with my Tele.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0552.JPG (54.2 KB, 188 views)

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 06-26-2022, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

….town park stage in Telluride Colorado as far as paid gigs go….if it’s just me and a guitar….probably the north shore of Kauai….or possibly looking out across lake Manapouri at Fjordland in New Zealand…
Old 06-26-2022, 12:20 PM

The NY State Pavilion at the 1964 NY World's Fair. We were 12 years old. We were awful, but we played there! Our parents were in the audience. As a matter of fact, our parents were the audience!
Old 06-26-2022, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Not a "paying" gig, but, in the mid-70's, my best friend had the remainder of a 100 year lease on a little cottage in the state park of Waimea Canyon, on the island of Kauai...

Set back off a little dirt road, 60 or 70 yards, on an acre or so of sloping lawn, with 120' pine trees bordering that road... back up next to the jungle, a little two room place with an incredible lanai porch enclosed with vining plants and flowers...

I lived there for the better part of a year, and would go out on that porch and play for hours on end... completely uninhibited, as I knew that there was little chance of anyone being within earshot.

Every once in a while, hikers would come down the road and stand there, listening to me play. Even got a few rounds of applause!!!

An incredibly tranquil spot; one that is indelibly imprinted on my memory...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-26-2022, 12:29 PM

It was in 1974 in High School Band. We got to March around the track on race day at Indianapolis 500.

Biggest crowd I have played any instrument in front of.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 06-26-2022, 12:36 PM

I played a solo guitar gig for a reunion of the 1960 Rome Olympic team inside of the Parthenon in Nashville. Also played guitar and mandolin with the Nashville Symphony in the Schermerhorn Symphony Hall in Nashville. Those 2 gigs/venues were pretty memorable.

Old 06-26-2022, 12:49 PM

A few years ago I got to sit in with a street band in Yogyakarta, Indonesia. It was a great time! They wanted to play Creedence.
Old 06-26-2022, 01:00 PM

Pfeiffer Campground in Big Sur.
Old 06-26-2022, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Not as impressive as some of these in this thread but it was this place which is a naturally formed cave in Southern Illinois. I'll never forget they hit the spotlights and it was people as far as I could see over the hill. At one point there were hundreds of people throwing glow sticks around which was pretty cool. Hey, we were a jam band so par for the course

Last edited by UncleJesse; 06-26-2022 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-26-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
The NY State Pavilion at the 1964 NY World's Fair. We were 12 years old. We were awful, but we played there! Our parents were in the audience. As a matter of fact, our parents were the audience!
Two of my high-school-age neighbors had a "girl group" (think '60s Brill Building/Phil Spector/early Motown) that sang there in both '64 and '65 - they would have been very memorable in both looks and sound (their lead singer - who could cross over effortlessly from Diana Ross to Lesley Gore to Connie Francis to Mary Weiss - would front our church worship team a couple years later), and I'm just curious if you ever crossed paths with these four classy-looking, tough-but-sweet Brooklyn housing-project girls back when...
Old 06-26-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I'm just curious if you ever crossed paths with these four classy-looking, tough-but-sweet Brooklyn housing-project girls back when...
Would have been nice,Steve, but nope. We all reigned from Queens....4 Long Island railroad stops to the Fair!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion