The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-26-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardN View Post
Do you have a guitar(s) that you know you will own until the day you die?
Several.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:28 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I have a 2003 Martin D-16GT that my wife bought me back in 2005 for our anniversary.

I almost never play it now. It has the 1 11/16" nut which is not my favorite width.

Obviously, it isn't going anywhere.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-26-2022, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

There is nothing I own that won’t be made available for a price. It might be prohibitive, but nevertheless can and would be for sale in the right situation. Always plenty of other fish in the sea.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 06-26-2022, 11:36 AM

Default Lovely Guild!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4d8 View Post
Easy one for me. My '64 F212, one owner guitar. My mom bought it for me in August '65, mostly because after five years on really low end guitars I was still playing and she knew it wasn't just a phase. After 57 years together, it is the one guitar I would reach for in case of a catastrophe, and one I can't imagine ever selling.
Gorgeous Guild, would love to try that out.

My two lifers are a Waterloo WL-K and a Fender Danny Gatton Telecaster.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Nope. I have some nice guitars but I'm 77 years old so the end is drawing near sooner than rather than later. I have no children/heirs and my wife wouldn't know how to sell them for what they're worth, so, at some point, I plan to sell them off and buy an el cheapo for the nursing home staff to steal when I 'shuffle off this mortal coil'.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:57 AM

Default Hey Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Both of my Koa steel strings - I won the Mcknight/Poling in a contest and the story about how it came to be is enough to write a book about - it will be here for the duration.

The Charis was a gift from 23 forum members when I was experiencing some hard times (after I'd sold it to help with my predicament) Every time I open the case it reminds me that there are still some really wonderful folks in the world.

Neither will leave my closet until I can't play any longer.
Boy do I remember the stuff we went through Todd with the Mcknight/Poling and me running over to see if he was around and that was many trips. Was the happiest moment when it was finally shipped to you, heck I might have even driven it down to you it was such a mess.

But back to main reason for this post, well it is my D2003S Washburn that was set up for me by a great gal who just bought it to even more life and has seen many recordings and albums. It will be with me till the day I die.
Even though it hurts like heck to play we musicians are just to stupid to call it quits and its funny my brain has a hard time remembering things but my fingers seem to know where to go ( I do have to look but its worth the time ) and remember when words fail you music speaks for you.
Old 06-26-2022, 12:08 PM

The only one(s) I know I won't be able to sell or give away are my air guitar(s).

Problem is I never really know who many of them I have ^^

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 06-26-2022, 02:08 PM

Unfortunately, the guitars that I would never sell ... well, I've already sold them!
Old 06-26-2022, 02:10 PM

Most of the guitars I own are replaceable, although it might take a bit of effort. My ‘72 Mossman Brazilian would be hard to replace and to let go of.
Old 06-26-2022, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Do you have a guitar(s) that you know you will own until the day you die?

I have a couple of custom builds, and those I probably won’t sell, just for the personal (sentimental) value. There is one exception, a custom build that I just never bonded with.
I also have a ‘54 Martin that was given to me by an Ex, and while I might give that away someday I could never sell it, it means a lot.
I can’t really say never, tho. If I’m lucky enough (or unlucky enough, depending on POV) to live longer than I can play, it would be time to pass most of these on.
Old 06-26-2022, 03:43 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardN View Post
I'm not talking about the current favorite that you are convinced you'll never let go, because you know eventually you probably will sell it. I'm talking about guitars that for one reason or another you can't get rid of.

Two examples.
1. In the 80's my wife bought me a Japanese Fender Strat that was a real stretch for us, but she worked out a way to make it happen. I could never let that go.

2. I spent about $1,500 for a bunch of really high end Telecaster parts and assembled a phenomenal Tele. I'm attached to it but the real reason I can never sell it is because its almost worthless.

I'll be buried with both of them.
For me, my 1977-1978 K. Yairi Conquistador. I’ve been its only owner, and will remain its only owner.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 06-26-2022, 04:31 PM

The acoustics I have now (D-18, 00-18, 0015M) are working well for me so there's no compelling reason to think about selling. I'm not one for heirloom, super custom, lots of bling type guitars so there's really nothing else I desire.
I know, famous last words!

The electrics (4 guitars and a bass) are all up for grabs with the exception of my 1991 Strat Plus as it was a gift from my wife. So that would make the Strat the answer to the OP's Q.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

None yet. They are all fun tools and toys at the same time. But none of them except for the maybe the Larrivee Forum VI (and I'd be hard pressed to call that a lifer) are what I would call lifetime guitars.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

My 000-18 is staying. My X7 could be replaced with a X20 soon.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
[I][U]

[IMG]

1982 Ovation Custom Balladeer acoustic-electric: Yeah, I know they're out of style and I also own two Rainsongs, but this one's delivered forty years of reliable service through thick and thin - and the way things look right now, it'll likely survive Armageddon and still be just as playable and cosmetically intact on the other side of Eternity; simple controls (just a single volume pot on the upper bass bout) but if you plug it into the low-gain input of an American-voiced electric-guitar amp (think blonde/blackface Fender or blue-check Ampeg here) the way Charlie Kaman intended when he designed it back in the mid-1960's, it sounds just like a loud acoustic Ovation rather than the shrill, harsh, metallic sound accepted as "acoustic-electric" tone today - and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this was Bob T.'s criterion when he touted "the playability of a fine electric" in his pre-NT days:

Steve, I think it's so cool you had this Ovation in your keepers! I've always loved those non cutaway Ovations. I had one a 1987 which I wish I never sold.
One of these days I'm going to find another one.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

Last edited by jricc; 06-26-2022 at 06:52 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion