The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-26-2022, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Default “Children’s” Guitars that are actually of high quality? Good Parlors for this purpose

Hi All,

I’m looking for a nice little acoustic for my niece who is showing an interest in the guitar.

I had started thinking I could find a Larrivee parlor or just a very small guitar that is “for adults.”

But given the price point I was wondering if anybody has any experience out there with guitars either specifically marketed for children (that aren’t just garbage), or well-priced parlor models that are decent quality, and maybe less than a Larrivee.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2022, 10:02 AM

What is that price point?
Old 06-26-2022, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg257 View Post
What is that price point?
Hi thanks. I was thinking 500 max, but also was looking for some Baseline quality, that can be used for a while if she really took to the guitar, or could be reasonably resold if not.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:12 AM

When looking for a travel guitar, the store had me try a Martin 000 jr….quite surprising full tone, solid wood, Made in NA, smaller size, short scale, $550.
I thought of my nieces immediately and how that would make a great choice. (I came close my self but went with a full size.)
Old 06-26-2022, 10:25 AM

I recently bought a Roadhouse by Arts & Lutherie (Godin). Made in Canada with woods sourced from there (spruce, wild cherry and silver maple) and great hardware. 0 size with an excellent set up out of the box and a high degree of QC. Retails a little over $400. An excellent starter guitar and a real player for experienced pickers as well.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:29 AM

Usual suspects that come to mind would be the Baby Taylor and GS Mini, which you can get for $99 and $199 respectively along with the purchase of certain full size Taylors (I think like 214 DLX, 314, etc). So would be convenient if you like Taylor and were also looking for a guitar for yourself.

All that said, I'm more of a fan of the Martin Juniors myself, BUT I wouldn't so quickly recommend one for a young person. It would depend on how old and if I thought the wider nut width would be a problem for smaller hands.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:42 AM

Another vote for the Taylor GS Mini, my preference being the all-hog version - a few bucks above your target point, but it's an instrument she'll be able to use for a lifetime...
Old 06-26-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLQ View Post
Hi All,

I’m looking for a nice little acoustic for my niece who is showing an interest in the guitar.

I had started thinking I could find a Larrivee parlor or just a very small guitar that is “for adults.”

But given the price point I was wondering if anybody has any experience out there with guitars either specifically marketed for children (that aren’t just garbage), or well-priced parlor models that are decent quality, and maybe less than a Larrivee.

Thanks!
An important question is her age and size of her hands.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Orangewood Dana.

https://orangewoodguitars.com/produc...ny-mini-guitar
Old 06-26-2022, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Hi all thanks for the suggestions!

My niece is 6 I think, small hands. Here interest so far is in very intently picking out open strings with a pick.

That Orangewood 135 new! Might be hard to not try that one.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:38 AM

If she’s 6, a baritone uke is a good option. They match the top four strings of a guitar in standard tuning. I realize that’s outside the scope of your title and that you might already be aware of that option.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJeff1 View Post
If she’s 6, a baritone uke is a good option. They match the top four strings of a guitar in standard tuning.
If she was small (as she is) I was also going to recommend the baritone uke. You don't even have to call it a ukulele; call it a "small 4 string guitar" that fits her handsize. If she is doubtful, show here some youtube clips of Neko Case playing her full sized tenor guitar. You can find them priced from $100 to $1000.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLQ View Post
Hi all thanks for the suggestions!

My niece is 6 I think, small hands. Here interest so far is in very intently picking out open strings with a pick.

That Orangewood 135 new! Might be hard to not try that one.
Hi DLQ…
Our niece was visiting with her family (my brother & his brood) when she was 8, and wanted to play. So I tuned one of my OMs to an open tuning, sat it in her lap, and handed her a brass slide, and she played and sang for hours a couple days of the visit. I'd wished I'd done it a couple days earlier.

I don't remember whether it was Open G or Open D, which ever matched her voice range as an 8 year old.

She later (as a teen) picked up guitar to add to her piano (her main instrument). She is now a full-time music teacher at a Jr/High school.

I taught guitar for 40 years (for $$) locally, and it is rare to find children under the age of 12 (female) or 14 (males) who will dedicate themselves to the practice it takes to become proficient enough to enjoy playing. The ones who do, often find their love of playing on full-sized instruments of parents, or aunt/uncles.

Also the necks on electric guitars are slimmer and narrower than their acoustic counterparts. And since tone is not the issue with electrics, they can be strung with .009 gauge strings which press very easily.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-26-2022, 12:31 PM

I’ve always started my kids off on Yamahas. The 3/4 sizes (we have two here) which are actually real instruments and then moving them to a short-scale M.I.C. that I don’t even remember when and where I purchased. Then when they are competent and I see that they are interested, I buy them a higher-end model of their own. All five of my children play now, to varying degrees, and I’m really proud to be able to say I taught them.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 06-26-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realbluesman View Post
I recently bought a Roadhouse by Arts & Lutherie (Godin). Made in Canada with woods sourced from there (spruce, wild cherry and silver maple) and great hardware. 0 size with an excellent set up out of the box and a high degree of QC. Retails a little over $400. An excellent starter guitar and a real player for experienced pickers as well.
Great recommendation, as is the GS-Mini.

Look into the Yamaha FS800. Nice guitar and less expensive than the aforementioned guitars. Not as big as a dread either (the FG800).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion