The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-24-2022, 09:49 AM

Default NMD - an Earthwork SR40V

I love using a great mic. They really all do have their strengths. I've been using a DPA 2028 and believe it to be stellar.

But I saw a few videos on the Earthworks SR40V and decided to take the plunge.

I'll be able to do a full write up after my performances this weekend, but from a studio session yesterday it promises to be almost shocking in it's liquid clarity.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:19 AM

I'm very picky about my vocals, and have been trying dozens of mics in the last years.

I eventually landed on the SR40V as my 1st choice, and MBHO MBD 219sc as my dynamic backup when the room is more demanding.

The SR40V has amazing power and clarity in the lows and mids, and sounds bigger than life. Top end is clear and present, but sounds natural and not hyped (read : fake and annoying) like many modern mics. You have to boost it though. It is a little less sweet then my high end studio mics, so I can't get too much shimmer out of it, but as I'm singing 50-60's songs it's perfect.

BTW I'm using a channel strip made of 500 series units, and I'm sounding like a record ��

Last edited by Rockin'Robin; 06-24-2022 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:44 AM

Just when I thought I didn't need to try any more mics . .. Thanks a lot, Buzzard Whiskey!
Old 06-26-2022, 10:52 AM

Last night's gig was a good test of my new SR40V. The back yard had 20 or so folks milling around. Monitors were definitely needed but we didn't have to contend with reflexions. I could adjust everything using a mixer (a Zoom L12) right at hand.

The gain needed was actually higher than many of my other condensers. Just past 12:00 on my mixer. So, no big deal.

I put a HP filter on in order to avoid wind noise (ended up not really being needed). A bump in the 800-1000 hz range is nice and makes me feel like my vocals have SOME sound pressure (more on that later).

Handling noise is very low and stage stomps are well mitigated

Plosives are more difficult to control than my DPA 2028, but easier than my Miktek PM5.

There is very little proximity effect. I need to do more experimenting with lowering the gain and coming in, but I suspect this will be a 4" and more sort of mic. When I really belted out something and did the "turn away" thing in order to modulate the volume, this mic picked it all up with crazy clarity.

And then there's the sound itself... it's behavior. I have to choose my words carefully. This mic is different. The sound isn't "pushed" out of the speaker so much as it "suddenly appears in the room". There's a liquid, eveywhere at once, sort of behavior that really sets this thing apart.

All in all, I'm now even more intruiged. I really need to play around and explore the mic more. The DPA 2028 remains the easiest condenser to use well with zero experience. But the SR40V may well be a more potent and better sounding tool when used well... if that makes sense.

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 06-26-2022 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:31 PM

Second gig using the SR40V...

I love this mic. Nothing else I've used compares with its "liquid" sort of sound... everywhere at once, effortlessly.

If you have the chance, give this very special mic a try.
Old 07-03-2022, 02:32 PM

Been gassing one for a while now. Anton Browne channel on YT does stellar reviews and comparisons of this mic.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:40 AM

Recording is very different than performing live through a PA. But I wanted to get a feel for the recorded sound of my three "nice" mics:

Miktek PM5
DPA 2028
Earthworks SR40V

The differences were not subtle.

The DPA has the most "nasal" sound. But it's not displeasing. In some ways, that's the sound I hear in my head if that makes sense.

The Miktek has the brightest sound. This is immediately heard as "good for a stage" due to that ability to cut.

The Earthworks has the flattest sound. This is the most foreign sounding of the lot. It's clinical. It reminds me of using SLog to video something... it's a blank palette.

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 07-12-2022 at 11:58 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification