The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-08-2022, 06:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have used several of the main stage cases. Similar to Calton weight wise but strong and safe when flying.
https://mainstagecases.com/

Fred

http://www.fetellierguitars.com
Old 08-08-2022, 08:35 AM

+1 for Visesnut here.

I had a Texas made Calton many years ago that had an awful smell as you describe. It was so bad that it infused into the guitar and when I played the guitar my hands would end up smelling as well. I tried everything you've tried, sun for hours, backing soda, deoderizers, etc and nothing worked, and Calton didn't have any suggestions. I know the curse!

I've been using Visesnet for a few years now and couldn't be happier. Super light, lighter with the guitar than most other cases without a guitar, and incredibly strong. I can stand on the face, 160 lbs, and the case doesn't deflect any noticeable amount. Only downside is the lack of storage in the compartment.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:17 PM

I ordered two new Calton cases last year from their Austin workshop (one for a custom J-45 and one for a modified D).
There might have been a slight odor, but it definitely disappeared after a week or so.
I've tried all the flight cases, there really is no comparison for me. Caltons are the best.
The only issue is they're now close to $2000 if you order new. Totally worth it if you have the money or 1-2 prized guitars, but for me, I can't afford to house my entire extensive collection of guitars in them.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Cases are about choosing one’s poison. Some are too heavy, some are not protective, some smell and some have very little accessory capacity, some have bad latches. I own a variety of cases:

- Amertiage

- BAM

- Cedar Creek

- Hiscox

- Hoffee

- Visesnut

- TKL

For me, I have settled on Visesnut as my case of choice. I have not yet run into the strong odor that I have encountered with my Hoffees.

To me, it has the best balance of low weight to good protection ratio. It is far lighter than a Hoffee (I would say 30% lighter) and perhaps slightly less protective (but still quite protective). Purchase the outer padded cover for the case if you are traveling with it. Visesnut cases do not have TSA compatible locks. However, I use a standard TSA padlock to hold the two zippers closed on the padded cover. It is smaller so it holds much less accessories.

It is not custom fitted but is adjustable via a clever perimeter band. I would not recommend them for guitars with a substantial Manzer Wedge where you want the back of the case to match the instrument. The Visesnut comes in multiple lines at differing price points with different numbers and types of latches.
Hi you mentioned that you have also had Hiscox. How do you compare that to your Visenut? I have two Hiscox cases now and an Ameritage from that list and the Hiscox seems superior to the Ameritage given the weight.

Haven't tested the protection side.

Last edited by Aspiring; 08-08-2022 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Visesnut > Hiscox in many ways in my opinion

- Much lighter in Weight
- Adjustable Fit (Hiscox uses bean bags and Visesnut uses an adjustable perimeter strap)
- Smaller size for bringing on a plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Hi you mentioned that you have also had Hiscox. How do you compare that to your Visenut? I have two Hiscox cases now and an Ameritrade from that list and the Hiscox seems superior to the Ameritage given the weight.

Haven't tested the protection side.

Sent from my motorola edge (2021) using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app
Old 08-08-2022, 03:22 PM

Love my Hiscox Pro II Cases!

Me and my Pro II at Sanderstead Station, UK just prior to covid hitting. Inside my Martin '39 D-18A.

I've made more trips back and forth between San Francisco and London than I can count over many years. My Hiscox Pro II has always done the job it was designed to do.

Last edited by 6L6; 08-09-2022 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 03:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Visesnut has been my case of choice to include with my guitars for about 5 years now. I have used just about everything else that seems like it would work except Karura and BAM. When Calton was made in Calgary by Al Williams that was my standard, but that story got weird and I shopped around.

I loved the first generation Hoffee for its light weight and quick turnaround from ordering to delivery. The newer generation is as heavy as a Calton, and last I ordered one, it took 12 weeks to arrive, which is twice the time it takes me to build a guitar. Because I allowed my customers to change their design right up to the build start, that meant the case would often not arrive to ship the guitar in until a month and a half after the guitar was completed. That doesn’t work well enough to stay in business, for me.

I bought a few Hiscox cases, and liked the weight and the price. There is, however, a problem with the padding system. The case interfaces with the guitar body in only 4 places, which is fine for modern lacquer or UV cure finishes, perhaps, but means the localized pressure from the pads may be able to imprint my relatively fluid oil varnish finish on a hot and humid day.

The Visesnut case is as light as the first gen Hoffee, about 7 pounds, is said to be able to support 650 ponnds of weight on its top when latched , is very close to waterproof, and best of all, is adjustable in size. The OM/000 case, for instance, will also fit a 00 well enough to ship comfortably, and also fits my 16” guitars, both conventional and asymmetric, as well as my 16 arch top!

This size versatility means I could keep a few Visesnut Cases in stock and virtually always have a good fitting case for whatever guitar my customer decided to have me build. Although I am no longer taking orders, I am building, and still rarely know what I am building till I start.

As far as flight case durability is concerned, I took my Black Limba JB-15 on a 3 week trip to Italy a couple of years ago, which involved 4 flights and a thousand kilometers of rental car travel between a dozen hotels. When I got home the guitar was flawless (for one of my guitars) and case so pristine that I sold it as new at some point.

I am referring to their less expensive model, by the way. Their upscale painted cases look great when new, and are probably as strong, but do show wear and tear quite easily.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Great feedback, all. Thank you for taking the time. I have a couple of Visesnut cases for my LeGeyts. Perhaps the best thing, since those two cases are adjustable, would be to get inexpensive cases for my upcoming builds and use the Visesnut case when I need to travel with a specific guitar.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Great feedback, all. Thank you for taking the time. I have a couple of Visesnut cases for my LeGeyts. Perhaps the best thing, since those two cases are adjustable, would be to get inexpensive cases for my upcoming builds and use the Visesnut case when I need to travel with a specific guitar.
Juston, I was just coming back here to make the point you make above. I'm up to 7-8 OM guitars at this point and I have them in nice but not expensive cases (except for a few of the Collings cases re-purposed for non-Collings OMs). I have one Calton that I can use any time I need to take a guitar somewhere if I'm really concerned about ruggedness. It's extremely rare that I'd take two guitars to a jam, or whatever, so I think I have it covered pretty well. Takes a bit less space, too! HTH, Tim
Old 08-09-2022, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
Juston, I was just coming back here to make the point you make above. I'm up to 7-8 OM guitars at this point and I have them in nice but not expensive cases (except for a few of the Collings cases re-purposed for non-Collings OMs). I have one Calton that I can use any time I need to take a guitar somewhere if I'm really concerned about ruggedness. It's extremely rare that I'd take two guitars to a jam, or whatever, so I think I have it covered pretty well. Takes a bit less space, too! HTH, Tim
Yep, I think that’s the right approach. I might get a Visesnut of a proper size to take care of my 0-12 and 00-12, but after that I think having more flight cases makes no sense. I may slowly ditch all but one or two of the Hoffee cases. The smell is a big negative for me. Perhaps Cedar Creek is the way to go for everyday storage.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:59 AM
Charter Member

I like Cedar Creek cases but the green padding in mine (a 2006 model) has developed a strange discolouration where the guitar’s waist fits. Doesn’t affect the guitar but looks a bit weird.

My Visesnut case has an odour issue, although it does not sound as bad as Juston’s Hoffees. Has anyone else had odour problems with their Visesnut cases?
Old 08-10-2022, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
I like Cedar Creek cases but the green padding in mine (a 2006 model) has developed a strange discolouration where the guitar’s waist fits. Doesn’t affect the guitar but looks a bit weird.

My Visesnut case has an odour issue, although it does not sound as bad as Juston’s Hoffees. Has anyone else had odour problems with their Visesnut cases?
I have a Visesnut case for my Franklin 12 Fret Dread with no odor problems at all.
As an aside, I had a TKL case that came with a new Collings OM1 (in 2001) that developed the same discoloration as your Cedar Creek. It certainly did look weird! I thought maybe it was caused by off-gassing of the nitro finish?

Last edited by mhw48; 08-10-2022 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:58 AM

I follow the method of having a couple of flight cases that I can use to transport the guitar that strikes my fancy when I travel.

I do have a couple of Caltons. Great cases, of course. But they seem to have gained substantial weight as I've aged.

I also have a couple of Hiscox cases. What I like about them: light, cheap, and they look so cheesy that I suspect they dissuade theft. Who carries a valuable guitar in a case that looks like that? What I don't like about them: very bulky, not very secure latches, and a metal edge to the case that threatens mortal case bite.

I've lately been using a CrossRock case that I like very much. It's very light, compact, and very sturdy. What I don't like: only a few sizes available.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Anyone have experience with Crossrock fiberglass cases?
https://www.crossrockcase.com/shop/g...ught-crf2020d/
Old 08-10-2022, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Try reading the post above yours…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
Anyone have experience with Crossrock fiberglass cases?
https://www.crossrockcase.com/shop/g...ught-crf2020d/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop