The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2024, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Default Saw Pierre Bensusan this evening..

What a treat! Two hours of some of the most beautiful acoustic guitar music I have ever heard live.

While Tommy E and his followers will dazzle you with their technical ability and stage performance, Pierre reaches in and touches your soul with his guitar ( I type this as someone who is not very spiritual).

Wifey had never listened to any of his music, and she was like "OMG, this guy is fabulous". She got in late today, but in time to make the show. I expected her to fade out during the evening, but she was on the edge of her seat for the performance.

We had talked about bailing, with her getting in so late. That would have been regrettable......

If Pierre come around to your neck of the woods, do get out an support him. I have been waiting for a number of years for him to come to Florida. Well worth it.

D
Old 03-24-2024, 08:43 PM

Just getting around listening to Pierre after loving Michael Hedges for years! I’ll check out where he’s heading.
Old 03-24-2024, 08:55 PM

Huge thanks for the heads up! Gonna catch him at the San Miguel Chapel here in Santa Fe!
Old 03-24-2024, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic romp View Post
Huge thanks for the heads up! Gonna catch him at the San Miguel Chapel here in Santa Fe!
You are in for a treat. Of all the 'modern' acoustic solo guitarists of the past 50 years, Pierre brings more emotion to his playing than anyone else.

One of my musical highlights is getting to open for him with my duo in 1987.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-24-2024, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

So cool. I’ve experienced him playing live in small venues a half a dozen times or so and it’s always a treat. I had a chance to ask him once what would be the one piece of advice he would give a player who wanted to improve. He said: Learn to cultivate listening to your own playing more objectively. He said that so many beginning players just listen for what they are hearing in their head rather than what sound they are actually producing. It was a great tip that changed the way I practice and listen to my own playing.
Best,
Jayne
Old 03-24-2024, 10:28 PM

I first saw Pierre Bensusan live in 1981 or 82 in Chicago, when he played at a club on Lincoln Avenue called Holstein’s. Even in his early twenties he was just a masterful, dazzling player. He was one of those guys who make you want to stop playing what you have been doing and just play like him.

whm
Old 03-24-2024, 10:57 PM

I've seen him several times, and he always puts on a great show. And he's very nice if you get a chance to chat for a minute.
Old 03-25-2024, 02:02 AM

I looked at the tour schedule and there's two dates close to me in May. One is a seminar that goes from 1PM -7:30PM at a private residence.
Hmmmm....
Schecter SV Shredder

“Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being real gets you hated.” ~ Johnny Cash (1932-2003)
Old 03-25-2024, 05:20 AM

I've not been lucky enough to see Pierre live, but I do have a copy of this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guitar-Book...s%2C141&sr=8-1

I'd say it's a must for any student of fingerstyle guitar - so much more than just a tab'n'technique book, you get recipes, poems, philosophy and more, and that seems to sum up the man and his approach to life

Angus
Yamaha LL-11e (Bert)
Gibson Chet Atkins Studio Classic
Terry Pack SJRS
Harmony H173 Prismatone (Clawdia)
Harmony H174 (Clawdette)
Old 03-25-2024, 05:31 AM
Charter Member

What a treat. Way back when, I saw him in a place called the Speakeasy in greenwich village, NYC. It was a small intimate room with great sound. Didn’t know much about him. I stopped in to get a falafel after busking and wound up staying for the whole show. WOW
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-25-2024, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suilven View Post
I've not been lucky enough to see Pierre live, but I do have a copy of this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guitar-Book...s%2C141&sr=8-1

I'd say it's a must for any student of fingerstyle guitar - so much more than just a tab'n'technique book, you get recipes, poems, philosophy and more, and that seems to sum up the man and his approach to life

Angus
I too have this book. It is an impressive piece of work.

And after last night, I'm going to make another attempt to absorb some of that knowledge.

And of course, the book went to the show with us last night and Pierre happily signed it for me.

D
Old 03-25-2024, 05:47 AM

I was at the Chattanooga performance. Simply amazing and a breathe of fresh air for me. Doesn't play a hundred miles an hour. I appreciate that. He allowed the guitar to be heard. Very relaxing and he did play his tribute song to Michael Hedges. He does do some singing in French which was nice for us. He is worth a road trip to hear and see play live.
Old 03-25-2024, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

I saw him a couple weeks ago in Asheville.... and got to meet fellow AGF'r LArry Pattis! I took my 80 year old mother and she was mesmerized! Pierre is as good or better than he's ever been....and just the nicest guy in the world. Definitely worth it to go catch his show.

2020 Brad Goodman J185
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 03-25-2024, 07:32 AM

I've never listened to anything by him, can someone suggest a couple of YT videos that best represent his playing?

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies
Old 03-25-2024, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJ View Post
I've never listened to anything by him, can someone suggest a couple of YT videos that best represent his playing?
Here ya go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_GV4hVm6M4&t=116s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion