The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-11-2023, 02:18 PM

Default Bourgeois vs. Larrivee

Hi All,

I am thinking about purchasing a used Bourgeois D Country Boy or a Larrivee D-60 Traditional Series. I live in a part of the country where there are no guitar shops for hours so I am basing my purchase on mainly research and reviews. Has anyone had any experience with these two guitars? Or does anyone have any recommendations for a singer/songwriter who likes to play bluegrass/blues style, I want to spend between 2,000 to 3,000 on a used guitar. I've been seeing a lot of great options on Reverb.com but I don't know what to choose!

Thanks,

Andood
Old 01-11-2023, 02:23 PM

Well for that kind of money i’d get myself a classic D-18.
Old 01-11-2023, 02:25 PM

Bourgeois Is a class up from larrivee.
Old 01-11-2023, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood99 View Post
I agree.

They are also voiced quite differently to my ear.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 01-11-2023, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Vote for bourgeois
Old 01-11-2023, 02:56 PM

Only you can decide which is more suited for you. Find a dealer that has a return policy so that you can return the guitar if it doesn't strike a chord with you (pun intended).
Old 01-11-2023, 03:08 PM

I’d say they’re definitely different, I wouldn’t say one’s a step up.
Old 01-11-2023, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes I think so. And I have had five Larrivees, and like them very much.
Old 01-11-2023, 03:32 PM

Default Bourgeois vs. Larrivee

I play an Aged Tone Bourgeois Vintage D with Banjo Killer bracing at every bluegrass gig our band plays! I will recommend them over any brand. I brought my D41 to our last gig and our banjo player told me to leave it at home, from now on and just play the Bourgeois!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-11-2023, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andood View Post
recommendations for a singer/songwriter who likes to play bluegrass/blues style...
That covers a lot of ground -- I'm guessing flatpicking country blues?

I much prefer the Bourgeois tone over the Larrivees I've played -- it's thicker, more mellow. You might have a different preference. But Bourgeois are versatile guitars -- good for different types of music.

I promised myself that I wouldn't suggest the obvious -- that you should play both to make your decision -- so I won't.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:14 PM

Default Larrivee

Hello all,

I purchased my Larrivee L-O9 23 years ago and initially, I was hesitant to keep it as it sounded bright and cool. Quite some time later, I ended up purchasing a Goodall CRJ (cedar-rosewood concert jumbo) and 3-4 years ago a Martin M-36. So, Larrivee is 23 years old, Goodall 11, Martin 3. My main, the most liked, the most everything is Larrivee. Everybody will say that Goodall is at least one level above (by build quality, beauty of design and woods), but the tone I get from my Larrivee is oh soooo beautiful - open, warm, rich, delicate... I've seen comments about L-09 being quiet. No, my L-09 is not quiet. This guitar takes a capo anywhere on the neck and plays in open tunings very well. However, it is not the best for slide - I use Martin for this. Once or twice, I very briefly tried Bourgeois guitars (it was a small jumbo but it was smaller than CRJ). It was good but its sound did not stay in my head. The guitar sound changes over time and maybe someone more experienced could predict how a specific guitar will sound 20 years later, I can't.
You are looking for a D guitar and none of my guitars is a D. So, I am not answering your question. However, I can say that Larrivee guitars look very plain and simple and they may not attract you on a first look. Also, love for guitars is such a personal thing. The look and even the sound of a certain guitar new or 20-years-old may or may not fit your idea about a perfect instrument. However, that Larrivee makes fine instruments is an understatement.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I will have to be the odd one out, & disagree. Both are great guitars. However, compare the two against each other with a Larrivee that has a Moonwood spruce Top. Then the two are very comparable in high quality sound. Moonwood Spruce has a drier-more defined sound.

Regardless, there is still a difference in tone between each company. Each has its own slightly different character. I have played many guitars from both companies. Both are great companies. Larrivee is widely known for its consistency of sound. And the reason being that Jean Larrivee travels the world picking out the best possible woods for his guitars.

My suggestion is buy a D40 with a Moon Spruce top. instead of a D60. You can buy a brand new Larrivee D40 Moon Spruce for under $2500. The differences are a 40 series has a satin finish and rope figure decorations. instead of bone decorations. Many people feel that Satin finish has a more woody sound.

If possible, find a shop that has both guitars in stock. Order both with the stipulation that you will return one of them. Yes, this will cost you an extra $100 to 200 dollars. But it might be the best monies spent. Having the two in hand will be well worth it. Just remember, to compare against a Larrivee with a Moonspruce top.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

As much as I like guitars from both shops, I have a clear preference for Bourgeois.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:41 PM

I purchased one of each and I am very happy with them.

Larrivee, LV-03E Sitka/Peruvian Walnut
Bourgeois, Dreadnaught DB Signature, Italian Spruce/Madagascar Rosewood
Old 01-11-2023, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
I’d say they’re definitely different, I wouldn’t say one’s a step up.
Totally agree with this. I have a Goodall, much more expensive than my Larrivees, and they don’t give anything away to the Goodall.
And Jean Larrivee gets absolutely the best wood as he has been traveling the world for over 50 years doing it.
Someone just sold a 2021 Larrivee D 40 rosewood with Moonwood spruce top for less than $1500 on this forum. Right now there is a Larrivee SD40 mahogany 12 fret for $1400. Those are ridiculous values. Since you say you probably can’t play them first, you might want to keep your eyes out for something like these. Way less than your budget, and you can always get most if not all of it back if you sell.
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bourgeois, country boy, d-60, larrivee