The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-10-2018, 06:15 PM

Default Dazzo + Anthem SL. MY GOODNESS.

I am amazed. I finally jumped on the Dazzo train. I put the 70s in my d35. They sound phenomenal straight into my Dtar solstice with just a small cut in the mids, maybe 10 o’clock. Everything else flat. I am also impressed by the output since they are passive. These truly sound incredible.

Because I can’t leave well enough alone, I also installed an anthem sl that I had laying around. The sl doesn’t use the ring on the output jack, it is however, intimidatingly soldered to the preamp board, but with a bit of work and a hot iron it was no problem. I ran the sl into the second channel of the solstice and rolled the bass and mids almost all the way off and slightly boosted the highs. I set the “blend” all the way in favor of the mic on the anthem (I realize this could probably be accomplished just as well with a lyric, but the sl is what I had laying around).

Anyway, I blend the two on the solstice with mostly dazzo and just a hint of the anthem to restore some of the natural mic sound in the high end. It sounds so so so good. I’m thinking about getting some dazzos to put in my parlor guitar that currently just has the full anthem in it.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:38 PM

I could see that sounding great for sure. It's a little too much to experiment with for me but it's cool to know that it works.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I could see that sounding great for sure. It's a little too much to experiment with for me but it's cool to know that it works.
I definitely don’t recommend the Frankenstein pickup system if you aren’t pretty comfortable with a soldering iron. The board is soldered to the ring on the jack and it takes some doing to get everything just right. I just had a little free time and wanted to see if it would work, but I’m really glad I did.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:05 PM

I have my own Franken-pickup story to share. I have been working on it recently, and, coincidentally, finished tonight. I am using K&K PM transducers with the D-TAR Wavelength Duo 18V dual channel preamp system. I solder the K&K onto the preamp where the element UST would otherwise go. The rest is as your would expect. I used non-conductive hot glue to cover the connections to prevent any corrosion, dust, or other problems.

The benefit is that I don’t need an external blender. I’ve been using the Lyric recently, but I wanted to give this a try and see how it sounded. I was hoping to gain some more immediacy to the sounds, as well as getting that “larger than life” bass response that is missing from the Lyric.

The verdict: It’s great!

I suspect it sounds a lot like the result you are getting with the Dazzo and the Anthem SL. Although, I suspect the Anthem mic is a little more sophisticated than the electret condenser mic that comes with the Wavelength system. In fact, one of the alternatives that I have been considering is the Anthem SL with the K&K combination. If I run into a discounted Anthem SL system, I might just give it a try to get the better microphone.

Best of luck!
Old 05-11-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I have my own Franken-pickup story to share. I have been working on it recently, and, coincidentally, finished tonight. I am using K&K PM transducers with the D-TAR Wavelength Duo 18V dual channel preamp system. I solder the K&K onto the preamp where the element UST would otherwise go. The rest is as your would expect. I used non-conductive hot glue to cover the connections to prevent any corrosion, dust, or other problems.

The benefit is that I don’t need an external blender. I’ve been using the Lyric recently, but I wanted to give this a try and see how it sounded. I was hoping to gain some more immediacy to the sounds, as well as getting that “larger than life” bass response that is missing from the Lyric.

The verdict: It’s great!

I suspect it sounds a lot like the result you are getting with the Dazzo and the Anthem SL. Although, I suspect the Anthem mic is a little more sophisticated than the electret condenser mic that comes with the Wavelength system. In fact, one of the alternatives that I have been considering is the Anthem SL with the K&K combination. If I run into a discounted Anthem SL system, I might just give it a try to get the better microphone.

Best of luck!

After fiddling with the anthem a bit more I think I’ve nailed the tone I’m going for with my d35. I’m gonna put the dazzos through the tonedexter once I have a chance to make a wavemap, but I’m really pleased with the tone I’ve been able to coax out of this system.

Glad to hear your experiment is going well, I love swapping stories with the DIY folks who are unafraid to make technology bend to their will haha.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

You won't believe how much low end you can get with a set of 90s or even 100s in a parlor. I had to back off to 90s in my parlor 12 string. Dazzos rock.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-12-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
You won't believe how much low end you can get with a set of 90s or even 100s in a parlor. I had to back off to 90s in my parlor 12 string. Dazzos rock.
Tell me more........ I have a Larrivee p09 and it has low end like you wouldn’t believe for a little 12 fret parlor. I really am thinking about adding dazzos to the anthem I already have in it. You think 90s would do it or should I go the full 100?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification