The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-30-2013, 11:01 PM

Default Recording is a BLAST!!

Oh my goodness! I got my headphones and have been at it for 2 hours. Absolutely amazing the difference having a nice set of headphones (my first). A bit frustrated with the Zoom H2 as capturing both vocals and guitar is not easily done. I have reset the height of my tripod many times too. I can feel three microphones and the Apogee Duet in my future happening a lot sooner than I thought.

And the improvement in playing and my vocals is significant. Even if you are a newbie, record yourself. And its really true. Play a song to death, until your fingers move on their own.

The Zoom is an excellent recorder and I will fiddle with it more this week. But now I truly understand the addiction with equipment that I observe on this forum. But I really want that cool stereo effect with two mics on the guitar, and a really nice mic for vocals.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-30-2013, 11:18 PM

Well unfortunately the duet only has two mic inputs...

BUT, four years later I still love recording like I did the first day.
Seagull Entourage Rustic (I won it!)

PRS CE22
American Standard Stratocaster
Silverface 1978 Fender Champ
Fender Deluxe Reverb

Winner of the Virginia Guitar Festival

Feel free to call me Zach
Old 01-31-2013, 04:46 AM

Haha! You're hooked! Congratulations
Recording is a blast!
SteveH

SteveH

Taylor 414CE Ltd Redwood Sinker
Martin 00-15M
Seagull Performer CW MJ Flame Maple
Seagull S6+CW Folk GT 05 Limited Edition Burgundy
Seagull S6+CW Folk GT 05 Limited Edition Blue
Oscar Schmidt Sovereign Mahogany a 1932 Model #5077
Campbell American Transitone (electric)
Ibanez SR650 Bass, natural finish ash
Yamaha SC400 natural finish ash
Old 02-05-2013, 09:20 PM

"Well unfortunately the duet only has two mic inputs..."

....... let me introduce you to your next piece of equipment...meet Mr. Mixer!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
"Well unfortunately the duet only has two mic inputs..."

....... let me introduce you to your next piece of equipment...meet Mr. Mixer!
Eh........... Been down that road. Never want to again.

PRS CE22
Fender Deluxe Reverb

Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 PM

I know the Apogee gets a lot of praise, and I'm sure it's well deserved. But, I also wanted more than two inputs, so I just purchased a MOTU 4-Pre, and I am absolutely thrilled with it. Running into my MacBook Pro and Garageband and it all works together seamlessly. Absolutely no issues and I am really pleased with the quality of the throughput. I'm certainly no audiophile, but for me, this was the perfect choice. Mike
Old 02-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcKee View Post
I know the Apogee gets a lot of praise, and I'm sure it's well deserved. But, I also wanted more than two inputs, so I just purchased a MOTU 4-Pre, and I am absolutely thrilled with it. Running into my MacBook Pro and Garageband and it all works together seamlessly. Absolutely no issues and I am really pleased with the quality of the throughput. I'm certainly no audiophile, but for me, this was the perfect choice. Mike
Hey Mike,
I've been considering the MOTU 4PRE as a step in upgrading my current recording equipment. From looking at the literature it seems it could be a drop in to replace my current preamps (not using its ADC), could do some limited live mixing, and could be a preamp/ADC if I move to a computer based recorder. This all looks good in their sales literature, but I haven't been able to find a manual so I could look into its limitations, such as what are the options for data sent using USB (can it send 4 channels from its inputs as well as mixed stereo channels, etc). Are you using the USB or the firewire interface?

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 02-06-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Hey Mike,
I've been considering the MOTU 4PRE as a step in upgrading my current recording equipment. From looking at the literature it seems it could be a drop in to replace my current preamps (not using its ADC), could do some limited live mixing, and could be a preamp/ADC if I move to a computer based recorder. This all looks good in their sales literature, but I haven't been able to find a manual so I could look into its limitations, such as what are the options for data sent using USB (can it send 4 channels from its inputs as well as mixed stereo channels, etc). Are you using the USB or the firewire interface?
We use a Motu 828 in my department for running 8 channel surround sound and the possibilities are basically limitless. The 4PRE can send 4 channels from its inputs via USB and if I'm understanding your use of "mixed stereo" correctly, that's up to your DAW.

I honestly prefer working with the Apogee stuff and I think it sounds better (maybe because I use it all the time and can get better results) but the Motu is good quality and a heck of a lot cheaper.

PRS CE22
Fender Deluxe Reverb

Old 02-06-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Hey Mike,
Chuck, I've only been working with it for a few days, so only worked some basic stuff. I'm going in with USB and have had zero issues. From what I've seen and done it should be able to do all that you mentioned. It is incredibly easy to use either from the screen mixer or on the unit itself. I've run mono mics, stereo combinations into multi track recording and worked great. It has a lot of tools I haven't gotten into yet, but as a preamp, mixer and audio input with 4 inputs for around $450 it's pretty darn nice. Mike
Old 02-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

I absolutely agree! I use a Zoom H4N with two Samson mics on a boom. It works quite well for capturing the guitar with two mics and I use the Zoom internal mics for voice. I have been having a blast figuring it all out. I am buying some decent near-field monitors this weekend then I'll use the M50 headphones for final edits.

I really think I have found my new favorite hobby!

Todd
Old 02-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
Oh my goodness! I got my headphones and have been at it for 2 hours. Absolutely amazing the difference having a nice set of headphones (my first). A bit frustrated with the Zoom H2 as capturing both vocals and guitar is not easily done. I have reset the height of my tripod many times too. I can feel three microphones and the Apogee Duet in my future happening a lot sooner than I thought.

And the improvement in playing and my vocals is significant. Even if you are a newbie, record yourself. And its really true. Play a song to death, until your fingers move on their own.

The Zoom is an excellent recorder and I will fiddle with it more this week. But now I truly understand the addiction with equipment that I observe on this forum. But I really want that cool stereo effect with two mics on the guitar, and a really nice mic for vocals.
Hi Lisa,
I agree that home recording can be a lot of fun, useful, and present some real challenges. The price/performance for entry level equipment is amazing. You talked about vocal and guitar recording difficulties; do you need to record them at the same time? (I believe you probably do with the H2) I'm not a singer, so it's a lot easier to optimize the micing techniques just for the guitar. When I've done a little bit of recording with my wife (who is the singer), I used my Zoom H4, recorded the guitar, then played that back for her as we recorded her vocals. Later the guitar and vocals tracks were mixed. That worked well for what we were doing.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 03-29-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fichtezc View Post
Eh........... Been down that road. Never want to again.
I concur, not a good idea.

Martin DX1K
Norman B 15-12
Yamaha RGX 821D
Line 6 Pod XT Live

Recording with Reaper64
Old 03-29-2013, 02:41 PM
Guitar Gourmet

When I am recording and mixing music the time just whizzes by. This after thirty-two years in the biz.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD