The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Default It's the Time of the Season: SCAM ALERT

I know that none of us would fall for this but I received it this morning and was subsequently emailed two warnings:

I really hope you get this fast. I could not inform anyone about my trip, because it was impromptu. I had to be in Manila,Philippine for a program. The program was successful, but my journey has turned sour. I misplaced my wallet on my way back to my hotel after I went for sight seeing. The wallet contained all the valuables I had. Now, my passport is in custody of the hotel management pending when I make payment.

I am sorry if i am inconveniencing you, but i have only very few people to run to now. i will be indeed very grateful if i can get a loan of $1,980 from you. this will enable me sort my hotel bills and get my sorry self back home. I will really appreciate whatever you can afford in assisting me with. I promise to refund it in full as soon as I return. let me know if you can be of any assistance. Please, let me know soonest. Thanks so much.

Frances
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-06-2012, 09:34 AM
*mahoganut*

Thanks for the reminder JR... I've received a couple of those over the years from friends whose email accounts had been hacked - so it came from their legitimate email addresses.

I'm also seeing a rise in "account" and "security" phishing - "your account will be closed unless you click on this link and update details" and "you need to update your security info".

So warn your less savvy or more gullible or innocent computer-using friends and relatives about these scams.

Cheers,

Phil
Old 12-06-2012, 09:36 AM

If anyone calls you claiming that they see virus' on your computer, laugh in their face. They are scam artists. I troll them hard each time and make them hang up.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long813 View Post
If anyone calls you claiming that they see virus' on your computer, laugh in their face. They are scam artists. I troll them hard each time and make them hang up.
Yes! How would they know in the first place? haha Also I love those popups that look like they were designed for windows 95 in those old school windows with text like CLICK HERE FOR VIRUS SCAN TROJAN DETECTED!!! I always wonder who would fall for that, but just in case there are less tech savvy people here, those windows about viruses, unless it's by your computers anti virus are usually viruses themselves.

Those emails about wiring money make me laugh too, my parents just got one of those the other day. I just stood there wondering why my mom finished reading it.
2011 Guild M120E
Old 12-06-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeehler7 View Post
Yes! How would they know in the first place? haha Also I love those popups that look like they were designed for windows 95 in those old school windows with text like CLICK HERE FOR VIRUS SCAN TROJAN DETECTED!!! I always wonder who would fall for that, but just in case there are less tech savvy people here, those windows about viruses, unless it's by your computers anti virus are usually viruses themselves.

Those emails about wiring money make me laugh too, my parents just got one of those the other day. I just stood there wondering why my mom finished reading it.
Yupp. But that's the thing, anyone who isn't tech savvy would get caught up in it.

Two days ago I got a call, and I acted all scared telling him that I just saw a huge bug crawl out of my desktop. I was able to trap it, then looked inside the case and there was a huge nest there. I need you to come over quick to terminate these bugs! One bit me and I think I may be infected.

/paraphrase

He proceeded to say we only deal with software problems, and I responded, no, this is very much a physical one. Come over now! I don't think I can fend them off any longer, the water I threw on them didn't do anything except piss them off.

He then replied "I'm going to get my manager, please hold" ... Hurry up! I screamed. Then, he left the phone, no holding song, I heard kids in the background and he then came back (yes, the same guy, not the manager) saying sorry sir we cannot help you. *click*.

Time before it was that blue smoke came out of my computer and I tried to collect it and put it back in, but it still won't turn on.

Other I just got them to explain to me how they know ... then threatened to sue them for spying on me.

The funny methods are the best IMO.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

As long as we're discussing SCAMs...

FedEx

Order: SD-5468-482485468
Order Date: Monday, 2 December 2012, 11:23 AM
Dear Customer,

Your parcel has arrived at the post office at December 4.Our postrider was unable to deliver the parcel to you.

To receive a parcel, please, go to the nearest our office and show this postal receipt.

[THERE WAS A LINK HERE TO GET SAID "RECEIPT"]

GET POSTAL RECEIPT

Best Regards, The FedEx Team.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

The plot thickens. Perhaps there's a "real" Frances whose email account was hacked...

I just spoke to Frances.

Yes, she is busy trying to change her password, deal with credit cards, etc.

No, she has not gone abroad since Sunday's party.

Yes, she is VERY frustrated!!!

Thanks for your thoughts and concerns.

Ida
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-06-2012, 11:11 AM

hahah long, I'll remember that for next time. I love messing with scammers. I think the Nigerian Princes are my all time favorite though. The guys who have insanely thick accents and do the, I'm John from Tonawanda (completely bombing the pronunciation) and asking for help.

They even pronounced my cities name wrong in Band of Brothers. Skip Muck went to my old high school, he said "I was back home in Tonawanda" and said it like Tone-a-wand-uh, which isn't really right, but pretty sweet we got props in that movie. (Little off topic)
2011 Guild M120E
Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
As long as we're discussing SCAMs...

FedEx

Order: SD-5468-482485468
Order Date: Monday, 2 December 2012, 11:23 AM
Dear Customer,

Your parcel has arrived at the post office at December 4.Our postrider was unable to deliver the parcel to you.

To receive a parcel, please, go to the nearest our office and show this postal receipt.

[THERE WAS A LINK HERE TO GET SAID "RECEIPT"]

GET POSTAL RECEIPT

Best Regards, The FedEx Team.
Canada Post has the same scam - nothing a matter to you though since you're not here

the CP scams are "You have 24 hours to get your parcel before it goes back to the sender"

Also, Air Canada scams are now around, I got one yesterday. Similar, saying "your plane ticket for xxx has been booked, click here to retrieve"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
The plot thickens. Perhaps there's a "real" Frances whose email account was hacked...

I just spoke to Frances.

Yes, she is busy trying to change her password, deal with credit cards, etc.

No, she has not gone abroad since Sunday's party.

Yes, she is VERY frustrated!!!

Thanks for your thoughts and concerns.

Ida
Ah, and sometimes, you don't even need a password to hack into an account, so it doesn't even matter. Looks like she's been compromised though, it sucks.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:06 PM

You guys are yukking it up and that poor guy is still stuck in Manila! Now send me all your donations and I'll see that his hotel bill gets paid.

Whoa! I see now it's Frances with an "e". You guys are truly heartless!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:32 PM

Don't worry about that guy in Manila, I'll take care of him as soon as my $5,900,000 arrives!

The FBI sent me an email warning me to avoid scammers, but informing me that the Bank of Nigeria was prepared to send my disbursement in the form of a Visa-powered ATM card with a $15,000 per day withdrawal limit, good any place in the world with a Visa sign on the ATM.

All I have to do is give them my bank account so they can withdraw $200, and no more, because the U.S. Government has agreed to take care of all taxes, import and customs duties, etc.

At last! I can abandon this dreary life of endless toil.....
Old 12-06-2012, 05:01 PM

Every time I get one of those I forward it to my "nonsense" email account and give them all the information they want.
My name is Alfred E. Neumann
I live at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave in Washington, DC.
My ZIP code is 0U812
My credit card number is an old Visa that I had 30 years ago when I lived in a different state.

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:19 PM

HELP! I'm stranded in LA. I need 3 bucks for beer. This is not a scam. I am indeed thirsty.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic