The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-12-2016, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

I replaced the tusq saddle on my furch dread and could not be happier. It sounded fuller and fatter to my ears.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 04-16-2016, 04:34 AM

I did my homework and yesterday I got a bone saddle.

I am really courious about the difference that produces on the sound of my OM-35SR, but first I have to reshape it as the original. I´ve heard that it is a pretty smelly task

Will report about the results as soon as I´ve installed it.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:54 AM

So, finally I have been able to work on the bone saddle and shape it down to how the original Looks.
With the appropiate Tools (manual ones) its not that dificult and not that smelly as I read in other Posts..

Well, my OM-35SR sounds still really good but I am not sure if it sounds better. Definitelly it lost some bass and gained hights. Its a more clear and cristaline sound, with a bit less overtones. Strumming sounds more defined now but soloing a bit weacker.

I gues I will keep it a while with the new bone saddle and then change to the original tusk one and then decide which one I prefer.

Thanks for all the input regarding this!
Gibson 175 ´79
Furch OM-35SR 2016
Old 05-20-2016, 07:15 AM

I suggest to keep it at least for one week, the sound may improve.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu147 View Post
So, finally I have been able to work on the bone saddle and shape it down to how the original Looks.
With the appropiate Tools (manual ones) its not that dificult and not that smelly as I read in other Posts..

Well, my OM-35SR sounds still really good but I am not sure if it sounds better. Definitelly it lost some bass and gained hights. Its a more clear and cristaline sound, with a bit less overtones. Strumming sounds more defined now but soloing a bit weacker.

I gues I will keep it a while with the new bone saddle and then change to the original tusk one and then decide which one I prefer.

Thanks for all the input regarding this!
You have to be careful with bone. You will hear a ton of people talk about how bone will make your guitar sound better and how it's the best saddle to use. However, in my experience, bone and harder saddles in general, don't always work for all guitars. I find that brighter sounding guitars like Taylor, Stonebridge etc, don't always match well with bone. The highs tend to be increased but at the expense of low end/mid range. There's a reason why Taylor puts Tusq on even their higher end models.

I recently switched to bone on my Taylor and I have hated the results. The highs now dominate the tone and I feel as though I have lost bass and mids. I tried bone on my Mahogany Larrivee as well with similar results. I think bone works great when matched with the right guitar. I am just careful to listen to suggestions to make the switch because every player is different. I can see why finger style players would love bone.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:03 AM

I have two Furch Dreds.
Stanford/Furch D5
Furch D21 SW
As far as I was concerned,they were the best,by far,guitars I had played,compared with guitars at several times the price.
But I have been stopped in my tracks by an Avalon Gold Series S200CE. I have only had this a few days and it is 13yrs old and battered,but it is a mighty powerful,sweet sounding guitar.
It doesn't matter that much which is better or worse really,but for a new guitar,you wont get better than Furch for the price,unless you come across a battered old-Gold Avalon....

Stanford/Furch D5
Furch D21 SW
Avalon Gold Series S200CE
Heartwood OM-T3/35 Solid Spruce,Solid Mahog B/S.
Washburn Cumberland Jumbo
Royal-all laminate 70,s MIJ,but sounds great.
Ibanez PC12MH Open Pore.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:08 AM

I have 2 Stanfords made by Furch, both dreds, D1P and D10P, both very good. I had a Furch OM22CM, but sold it as the body was too small for me.

I asked a tech to replace the saddle on the OM22CM with another tusq saddle that I supplied. Despite stressing 3 times I wanted a tusq saddle he replaced it with a bone saddle. It sounded very brittle, and I took it back, angrily pointing out he'd ignored what I asked for. He grudgingly put the tusq saddle in, and it again sounded very good. Most people prefer a tusq saddle on the Furch/Stonebridge guitars.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
You have to be careful with bone. You will hear a ton of people talk about how bone will make your guitar sound better and how it's the best saddle to use. However, in my experience, bone and harder saddles in general, don't always work for all guitars. I find that brighter sounding guitars like Taylor, Stonebridge etc, don't always match well with bone. The highs tend to be increased but at the expense of low end/mid range. There's a reason why Taylor puts Tusq on even their higher end models.

I recently switched to bone on my Taylor and I have hated the results. The highs now dominate the tone and I feel as though I have lost bass and mids. I tried bone on my Mahogany Larrivee as well with similar results. I think bone works great when matched with the right guitar. I am just careful to listen to suggestions to make the switch because every player is different. I can see why finger style players would love bone.

So, after a week playing on a daily basis with the new bone saddle on it I changed it back to the tusk one. I was kind of expecting more of the bone one, and now... Wow!! what a difference and for me definitelly how it should sound!!

This is the sound that impressed me so much when I played it at the store and made me buy it. The single notes literally punch me in the chest: warm, rich and loud, very loud!!!

However I am happy to have tried the bone one and I even could imagine myself using it for specific things, really interesting how the saddle affects the sound.

Thanks for your input and kind regards,
Gibson 175 ´79
Furch OM-35SR 2016
Old 05-23-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu147 View Post
So, after a week playing on a daily basis with the new bone saddle on it I changed it back to the tusk one. I was kind of expecting more of the bone one, and now... Wow!! what a difference and for me definitelly how it should sound!!

This is the sound that impressed me so much when I played it at the store and made me buy it. The single notes literally punch me in the chest: warm, rich and loud, very loud!!!

However I am happy to have tried the bone one and I even could imagine myself using it for specific things, really interesting how the saddle affects the sound.

Thanks for your input and kind regards,
I actually just changed the saddle on my Taylor back to Tusq yesterday and had the same results! The warmth and bass were back and the high end was not thin and bright. I know bone is great on certain guitars but Tusq just seems to sound best with bright guitars. I have actually always really liked the Martin D-18 (new bracing version), but sometimes the high end is just a bit too overwhelming. I wonder what Tusq would sound like? It's worth a try I guess!
Old 12-19-2020, 03:52 PM

I just tested three Furchs, review only in czech language https://www.frontman.cz/tritest-6-ak...e-kytary-furch

I like them, they really sing, especially on high strings,
It is great improvement from my first Furch guitar from 1996

Old 12-19-2020, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyenik View Post
I just tested three Furchs, review only in czech language https://www.frontman.cz/tritest-6-ak...e-kytary-furch

I like them, they really sing, especially on high strings,
It is great improvement from my first Furch guitar from 1996

The love the Red but might love the dreadnaught Orange even more. Great comparison! They sound rich and wonderful!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-21-2020, 05:25 AM

thanks, these tritests are good for rough comparison,
for example here are small/travel guitars...

Old 12-21-2020, 05:47 AM

I've had several Furch guitars over the years and have liked all but
one of them.

The all solid D22CM was a great guitar, one I wish I'd kept, the D42CR,
solid top/laminate back and sides was superb, the OM22CM great sounding
but body too small for me, D20CM very nice, Durango, slightly
disappointing.

The D20CM 12 string I have is excellent.
Stanford Furch D1P

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
brno, czech, furch