The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-16-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
If you want to optimize a piezo equipped guitar when you control the sound there are several choices. Regardless of other gadgets and signal processing you'll always need good EQ. Properly dialed in to get rid of the 'quack' it will make a big improvement. Of course, when we're talking about acoustic guitar amplification there is a vast swamp comprised of level of effort, circumstance, technology, and strong opinions separating 'acceptable', 'good', and 'great'.
Best answer so far. And to add to that. Maybe the OP should read up on theory of using both EQ and compression instead of asking for opinions on a forum with so many opinions on what works or what doesn't. Look to the recording world for basics on using both. The theory behind using EQ and compression won't change. I've been using the Empress Para EQ and Grace Alix for different gigs (they are on different boards) to shape the tone coming off of my guitar, and both of these pedals go a long way to give an acceptable live acoustic guitar tone. As for compression, I find the MXR Bass or Studio compressor (they are both the same exact pedal but MXR renamed the Bass compressor when the realized how well it worked in all applications) is a pretty darn good compressor with all the features you need to learn how to use compression. What the pedal has is the ability to control threshold, attack, release, ratio, and make up gain. Any compressor pedal with these features will get you on the board, I just recommended the MXR because it's clearly laid out and has great metering!

Old 01-16-2018, 05:45 PM

That was awesome !!! So now I have to figure this out !!!
Old 01-16-2018, 07:47 PM

There are several simple options to improve the piezo pickup.

Selected available options for UST pickup improvement:

TC Helicon BodyRez $100
XVIVE Mike $130
Zoom AC-2 $199
Zoom AC-3 $250
Fishman Pro Platinum $300
Fishman Aura Spectrum $350
Tondexter $400

Each one will improve the pickup. They have a wide cost difference. Depending on you budget, start at the bottom, top, or somewhere in the middle.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification