The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-27-2014, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Default Anyone own a brook moore guitar?

I posted this query in the General Discussion category ... no response. Figured maybe I was in the wrong pew and thought I'd try here.

Wondered if anyone else on the AGF has the pleasure of owning a Brook Moore custom guitar.
I received one from Brook in April (took about a year to complete, which is unfortunately much quicker than usual ... I believe due to his talents being greatly underutilized so far) and it is a stupendous instrument. All the notable guitar mavens that have played it in my area (Olympia Wa.) enthusiastically agree. He is a super guy and couldn't be any more accommodating than he is.

I won't bore you with all the specifics of my particular guitar, unless someone has a specific interest and then be ready for a rambling and potentially mind numbing recitation of everything about this guitar.

He comes from a family of woodworkers; his dad built violins and furniture as his livelihood. During the 70s Brook worked benchside with his father. Then life intruded and he had a 30 year hiatus. When he decided to return to his first love, guitars, he began by enrolling with Charles Fox for an intensive program of modern guitar building.

I guess what my motivation here is: Brook is stuck in a tiny, very remote community called Halfway OR and raises sheep there with his wife in addition to his guitar building. "No one" knows the guy is out there and it would be a true travesty if that continues. Check out his web site: www.brookmooreguitars.com I suspect even the most knowledgeable folks here will see some eye opening approaches thoroughly explained and clearly depicted in photographs. He is utilizing many cutting edge processes i.e. double tops; flying buttress bracing; manzer wedge models; etc. ... the most impressive and useful one for me is the neck design he uses ... this guitar will never need a neck reset and the action can be user adjusted with incremental movement of an external "trussrod like" socket at the base of the neck heel. It Really works! Weather changes --- adjust with ease; humidity and so on ... adjust with ease. Even for a technology shunning klutz like me, it's a breeze.

Anyway, take a look and I'd be very pleased to see what people's off the cuff impression is. If there are other owners of these fine instruments within the ranks here, I'd love to communicate with any of you about your personal experiences with Brook's guitar.

Cheers.

I love my dread!
Old 06-27-2014, 07:08 PM

Default Anyone own a brook moore guitar?

Very cool!
Old 10-21-2014, 04:33 AM
Charter Member

I'm in the process of arranging a build by Brook. It will probably begin around May 2015. I would be interested in hearing all about your instrument and how it plays and sounds! Please share some details! I, too, am I little confused as to why there is virtually no info on his guitars outside of his website.
I look forward to hearing about your guitar!

Daniel
Old 10-23-2014, 11:49 AM

" be ready for a rambling and potentially mind numbing recitation of everything about this guitar."

I thought this is why we read the custom shop forum?...put a lot of pictures in there too when you describe it.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tstalcup View Post
" be ready for a rambling and potentially mind numbing recitation of everything about this guitar."

I thought this is why we read the custom shop forum?...put a lot of pictures in there too when you describe it.
I second that motion.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:32 PM

I met Brook a couple of years ago at the Handmade Instrument Show here in Portland. I was impressed with the technology and techniques he was applying to his guitars. Unfortunately, the show is not a good place to really be able to play a guitar and get a good feel for how they sound. You're the first person I've read talk about owning one.

I'd really like to hear more about your impressions of your guitar.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop