The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-20-2021, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwpierce View Post
Haha, you really mean you’ll take 6 Circa’s!
Yeah, that's true. It'll be 8 when I'm all done . . .
Old 09-20-2021, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Yeah, that's true. It'll be 8 when I'm all done . . .

Your pretty amazing Juston, nothing like a man who knows exactly what he likes!
Old 09-22-2021, 06:52 PM

Oddly the Somogyi and Walker OM were not my favourites, though both are still great sounding guitars. I think I liked the two Sexauer’s the most, the Dred being my favourite because I’m mainly flat picking and strumming. I could really hear the potential in this guitar for the style of music I play. Thanks for posting this up, it was wonderful to hear these beautiful guitars back to back. I was able to hear guitars consecutively that I would likely not find in my neck of the woods

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 09-22-2021, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
Oddly the Somogyi and Walker OM were not my favourites, though both are still great sounding guitars. I think I liked the two Sexauer’s the most, the Dred being my favourite because I’m mainly flat picking and strumming. I could really hear the potential in this guitar for the style of music I play. Thanks for posting this up, it was wonderful to hear these beautiful guitars back to back. I was able to hear guitars consecutively that I would likely not find in my neck of the woods

Thanks for posting I’m glad you enjoyed it. I waffle back and forth all the time on which guitars are my favorite. I absolutely love Bruce’s guitars as well and I can see how you would be drawn to the Mini-Dred for your style of playing.
Old 09-24-2021, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

We had a lot of fun that day comparing all of these guitars - glad some of you gents found it entertaining! Believe it or not, the Walker OM had some fairly old and dull sounding strings on it at the time of this recording. I've heard it in "top form" and well, let's just say, take everything you might like about its voice in that clip and add about 40% more "wow" to it. It really is a fabulous example of Kim's work.

I was surprised by how effectively the recording translated bass response on Bruce’s mini dread. It's one of those guitars that sounds quite a bit different "out front" than behind the driver's seat. Really nice rumble in front of the mics!

That particular Somogyi is the most memorable (best?!) sounding one I've played. I've not played many of Ervin's guitars (six), but it's hard to imagine a more impressive voice than that one. It even works pretty well as a strummer!

One of my favorite guitars in the bunch was actually the Legeyt and I sent Burton an email praising it. If you like old ’31-’33 Gibson L-00s (how could you not . . .) that guitar had a surprisingly amount in common with them. Limitless headroom, GREAT fundamental, quick response and a nice woody midrange.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwpierce View Post
You did notice the big smile on his face when he hit the first chord on the Somogyi [emoji2]
I totally noticed this!!!!! It made me watch a video the second time to see if any of the other guitars generated the same reaction.

Anyways, thanks for posting. I enjoyed watching. I think we should have Brian do a US Tour of homes with multiple boutique guitars. He's a great ambassador of AGF and a wicked awesome player!

And yes, I was hoping there would be a certain dry sounding Circa...
Old 09-25-2021, 06:34 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quite an impressive collection. Liked them all. Nice job Brian! Wish I could have been there for that set of demos.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
I totally noticed this!!!!! It made me watch a video the second time to see if any of the other guitars generated the same reaction.

Anyways, thanks for posting. I enjoyed watching. I think we should have Brian do a US Tour of homes with multiple boutique guitars. He's a great ambassador of AGF and a wicked awesome player!

And yes, I was hoping there would be a certain dry sounding Circa...
You know, I wondered if that would be read into! I was actually laughing about something Rob said moments prior. I can't remember what it was, but it wasn't connected to the guitar. Sorry to ruin the moment there!
Old 09-25-2021, 07:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

What an amazing collection. It is difficult to pick a favorite, but the Walker OM stood out to me. But I think he real star of he show was Brian. Wow, what a right hand he has! Fantastic control with a smoothness I totally envy.
Thanks for posting!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 09-26-2021, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
What an amazing collection. It is difficult to pick a favorite, but the Walker OM stood out to me. But I think he real star of he show was Brian. Wow, what a right hand he has! Fantastic control with a smoothness I totally envy.

Thanks for posting!

Steve

Thanks Steve, glad you enjoyed the video and Brian’s playing. His control, touch, and dynamics are quite incredible and his playing did a fantastic job of showcasing my guitars.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Thanks for posting!

Steve
You're very kind, Steve; thank you! Thanks, everyone!! <3

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop