The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-21-2022, 08:12 AM

Default Jasmine Classical / replacing tuners

Trying to help a friend out with some minor repairs, Classicals is not in my wheel house. The low E turning knob is stripped which I only discovered during a string change

I'm worried I'm about to go down a rabbit hole with this one. The friend is a retired priest, and this Jasmine classical is his only guitar

Had to loan him one of my dreadnaughts to use as he tries to play every day.
Didn't want to do that, but couldn't leave him high and dry.

How standard a replacement is this typically?

Any advice on how to search out the right replacement 3 per side classical tuners?

Found some that look about right, (measuring the existing set to the specs from the listing of the new ones as best I could.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-21-2022, 09:27 AM

As I recall, Jasmines are not expensive classical guitars. I think they're Takamine's budget line.

Option 1: Find a match
  • Measure the screw holes distances and compare those against the diagrams from StewMac (for inexpensive Gotohs 0940-G) or from Der Jung. I've used the Der Jung 405 on a Yamaha C40.
  • If you find a match, just do a straight swap.

Option 2: Plug the holes with toothpicks and glue

Get a good inexpensive tuning machine (like the aforementioned Gotoh) and just plug the old screw holes as illustrated here (Note: The fellow who did that had at least two additional previous machines installed). Screw-in the new tuners.

Last edited by CoastStrings; 11-21-2022 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:33 AM

I should add that Gotoh and Der Jung are the only inexpensive tuning machines that I'm comfortable recommending.

For the Jasmine, go with either of those brands, or a set of tuning machines that were taken off an inexpensive Yamaha classical guitar.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:38 AM

thanks for the advice Coaststrings.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a circus.

I should have just let him continue to play the 8 year old strings....

no good deed goes unpunished..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 11-21-2022, 09:50 AM

Plugging the old holes is optional. IMHO, it's required if they're too close to where the new screw holes would be (i.e. they're almost overlapping and would cause the new screws to go-in at an angle).

Quite often, the tuning machines will completely cover-up the old holes.

The only other challenge I've encountered in a tuning machine replacement is when the string roller holes are too small and you have to "ream" them with a pencil and sandpaper. I've only run into this with Spanish-made factory guitars.
Old 11-21-2022, 10:07 AM

yea, I do know enough when recognize when it's time to fill, redrill. Done the toothpick/glue trick a few times with pickguards on electric re-fits/restores.

I did find that set I posted the link to specs out very close and may do the trick, for 18 bucks, I am gonna try em, just send em back if they don't fit and retry something else

and I found some economy gotohs on Stew Mac, so those will be the next try if these fail.

That is a good idea about the pencil and sandpaper. I was trying to think ahead if that was going to be the situation with the new tuners and the old roller holes. I hadn't thought of that. thanks for all the advice, very helpful. much appreciated!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512

Last edited by rmp; 11-21-2022 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-21-2022, 11:22 AM

I've had very good luck replacing wornout tuners with Der Jungs. I recommend the tuners with the S4 rollers and 18:1 ratio. Here's a link to a selection of Der Jungs:

https://classicalguitartuners.com/der-jung-tuners/

Zebulon Turrentine, who sells these on this website, is a good reliable vendor, as well as a very good luthier - search his name for more information about his classical guitars.
Old 11-21-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
I've had very good luck replacing wornout tuners with Der Jungs. I recommend the tuners with the S4 rollers and 18:1 ratio. Here's a link to a selection of Der Jungs:

https://classicalguitartuners.com/der-jung-tuners/

Zebulon Turrentine, who sells these on this website, is a good reliable vendor, as well as a very good luthier - search his name for more information about his classical guitars.
yep, cool! that is same supplier that coaststrings had advised too.

I'll try those if the current plan collapses on me.

I'm trying to keep the costs down since my buddy doesn't have a lot of cash on hand to fix this.

Kind of makes me regret agreeing to change the strings for him, (you touch it, you own it) had I known this was the outcome, I'd have not said a word about it or, suggested he drop it off at the local mom and pop down the road. Then again, I've changed strings and done setups 1,000 times over, on just about any 6 or 12 string.

so yea.. who knew?!? Live and learn..

thanks Baldrick!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 11-21-2022, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Trying to help a friend out with some minor repairs, Classicals is not in my wheel house. The low E turning knob is stripped which I only discovered during a string change

I'm worried I'm about to go down a rabbit hole with this one. The friend is a retired priest, and this Jasmine classical is his only guitar

Had to loan him one of my dreadnaughts to use as he tries to play every day.
Didn't want to do that, but couldn't leave him high and dry.

How standard a replacement is this typically?

Any advice on how to search out the right replacement 3 per side classical tuners?

Found some that look about right, (measuring the existing set to the specs from the listing of the new ones as best I could.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
since it is a Jasmine guitar, i would continue with the track you were on...order from amazon based on match in measurements, golden gate/etc/ones you were looking at on amazon. you'll only spend $15-$20 and have them in 3-4 days if you are a prime member (based on your location?) With some "blingy" looking machine heads im sure the Father would appreciate your efforts greatly I have used them on low end Denver/Beavercreek nylon strung slot head guitars with great success for gifting to kids, etc

option 2 take a trip to local pawn shop and check their guitar parts bins....you might get lucky with a $5 find and no wait

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom

Last edited by ssstewart; 11-21-2022 at 11:41 AM. Reason: added
Old 11-21-2022, 12:07 PM

I saw that the Gotoh's are on Amazon as well. $25.20 with shipping included but won't arrive until Nov 28 to Dec 2.
Old 11-21-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssstewart View Post
since it is a Jasmine guitar, i would continue with the track you were on...order from amazon based on match in measurements, golden gate/etc/ones you were looking at on amazon. you'll only spend $15-$20 and have them in 3-4 days if you are a prime member (based on your location?) With some "blingy" looking machine heads im sure the Father would appreciate your efforts greatly I have used them on low end Denver/Beavercreek nylon strung slot head guitars with great success for gifting to kids, etc

option 2 take a trip to local pawn shop and check their guitar parts bins....you might get lucky with a $5 find and no wait
The link I posted will be here tomorrow actually as typical for Prime, it's almost like you click on the cart purchase, and 10 minutes later, fed-ex is coming down the road.

I want to make it right for him, he's become a friend over the time he's been here, and one cool guy. I know him well enough to want to be sure it's taken care of, just kind of bummed that it went south so fast. but- these things happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastStrings View Post
I saw that the Gotoh's are on Amazon as well. $25.20 with shipping included but won't arrive until Nov 28 to Dec 2.
Thanks for that link "Coast" Got a few days to sort it out, he's got my (very nice 1978) Yari Dy74 to hold him over.. It was either that or loan him one of my Taylors or J200, and that wasn't going to work for me.

The measurements I'm seeing are all post to post 1 3/8" (Assuming that is center to center? but I'm not 100% Sure)

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512

Last edited by rmp; 11-21-2022 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-21-2022, 04:48 PM

The 'Mr.Power Guitar Tuners' from Amazon work fine.

I have them on my Sinsonido, which is played almost everyday, for a few months now. No problem.
Old 11-22-2022, 05:58 AM

many thanks to all who have helped. much appreicated

they will be here some time today, I'll be able to work on the swap out over the long holiday weekend, I'll post my results here in case this helps the next guy doing this.

cheers all and happy thanksgiving to all U.S. members who are looking here.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 11-22-2022, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
many thanks to all who have helped. much appreicated

they will be here some time today, I'll be able to work on the swap out over the long holiday weekend, I'll post my results here in case this helps the next guy doing this.

cheers all and happy thanksgiving to all U.S. members who are looking here.
First, beware of ANY three on a plate tuners that have the bent tab that holds the worm shaft. I won't go into detail here, but they often develop problems in short order.

I just faced the exact same problem with the need to replace old tuners on a "classical to crossover conversion" guitar. I located some on Amazon that have a cast base plate and sell for under $20 which I'm quite happy with. I'll post the information a bit later when I get a chance to look up the details.

EDIT: See you have already purchased the replacement tuners.

Last edited by Rudy4; 11-22-2022 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:41 PM

Hi all.

The replacement tuners arrived today and wouldn't ya know they fit perfectly.

No mods required, and they work great. Padre is back in business.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical