The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF For Sale - Rest of World (outside US)

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 10:14 AM

Default UK Lowden ‘Custom Shop’ S-50 - ‘The very best we can make’

Time for me to accept that although I really enjoy occasionally strumming on an acoustic, I don’t find myself with a whole lot of desire to develop my acoustic playing, despite trying and owning some seriously nice guitars over the years.

This was somewhat of a last hurrah, after having owned a few Lowdens, I realised that the Lowden sound is something I really enjoy. The Pierre Bensusan felt a bit big. The short scale and body size of the S really feels like the sweet spot.

This is an S-50 from what Lowden considers to be their custom shop.

From George:

When we receive our tone-woods into our workshops we re-grade them several times and only the rarest and exceptional pieces we reserve for our 50 series. Every 50 series guitar benefits visually and in tone from this very special wood. These are simply the very best we can make!”

The top is in master-grade Red Cedar with highly figured Tasmanian blackwood binding. The back and sides are master-grade Indian Rosewood, with beautiful figure and straight grain. The luthiery really is second to none. The neck is five-piece mahogany and rosewood with ebony faceplate and back of headstock.

The braces are Lowden’s improved dolphin bracing and the label is personally signed by George. An LR Baggs Anthem amplification system is installed.

The tone of the guitar is focused, incredibly well-balanced and without any overpowering woofyness even when strummed. Warm, rich with overtones and a delight to play through its dynamic range.

The ebony board is beautifully bound with maple and has recently had a fret polish and setup with factory spec elixirs. Action is set to 1.5mm at 12th fret on high E and 2mm at low E with saddle left if you wish to lower it even further. The guitar’s overall condition is very good, with a few minor marks, one on top and a couple on the sides/neck heel. It comes in its Hiscox artist Lowden case with all original documentation.

A new special order from Lowden, via Richtone Music in the UK will set you back £5700 + another £450 or so for an installed LRBaggs Anthem. Not sure what the prices are like in the US at the moment but it would likely be north of U$7.5k.

I’d like £3500 (U$4200) for mine. I am based in Swansea, South Wales, UK but happy to travel or discuss international postage.

You can click the photos to zoom into them and view them in high resolution.

Old 02-03-2023, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishbacon View Post
Time for me to accept that although I really enjoy occasionally strumming on an acoustic, I don’t find myself with a whole lot of desire to develop my acoustic playing, despite trying and owning some seriously nice guitars over the years.

This was somewhat of a last hurrah, after having owned a few Lowdens, I realised that the Lowden sound is something I really enjoy. The Pierre Bensusan felt a bit big. The short scale and body size of the S really feels like the sweet spot.

This is an S-50 from what Lowden considers to be their custom shop.

From George:

When we receive our tone-woods into our workshops we re-grade them several times and only the rarest and exceptional pieces we reserve for our 50 series. Every 50 series guitar benefits visually and in tone from this very special wood. These are simply the very best we can make!”

The top is in master-grade Red Cedar with highly figured Tasmanian blackwood binding. The back and sides are master-grade Indian Rosewood, with beautiful figure and straight grain. The luthiery really is second to none. The neck is five-piece mahogany and rosewood with ebony faceplate and back of headstock.

The braces are Lowden’s improved dolphin bracing and the label is personally signed by George. An LR Baggs Anthem amplification system is installed.

The tone of the guitar is focused, incredibly well-balanced and without any overpowering woofyness even when strummed. Warm, rich with overtones and a delight to play through its dynamic range.

The ebony board is beautifully bound with maple and has recently had a fret polish and setup with factory spec elixirs. Action is set to 1.5mm at 12th fret on high E and 2mm at low E with saddle left if you wish to lower it even further. The guitar’s overall condition is very good, with a few minor marks, one on top and a couple on the sides/neck heel. It comes in its Hiscox artist Lowden case with all original documentation.

A new special order from Lowden, via Richtone Music in the UK will set you back £5700 + another £450 or so for an installed LRBaggs Anthem. Not sure what the prices are like in the US at the moment but it would likely be north of U$7.5k.

I’d like £3500 (U$4200) for mine. I am based in Swansea, South Wales, UK but happy to travel or discuss international postage.

You can click the photos to zoom into them and view them in high resolution.

Hi, I can't view any of the photos, would you be able to try re-upload? Also, how old is the guitar?
Old 02-05-2023, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Photos aren’t showing - all come up with…

BE034F96-31AC-4FA8-A0CB-58E1FFDECC40.jpg

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 02-07-2023, 03:03 AM

Sorry, missed these comments. The guitar has been sold
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF For Sale - Rest of World (outside US)