The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-05-2022, 11:38 AM

Orion headed home! A near flawless mission so far.Cool pictures of earthrise after emerging from behind the moon. Now if the heat shield holds up?
Old 12-05-2022, 07:01 PM

I just hope Flash and Dale make it back okay.
Old 12-11-2022, 06:10 AM

Orion splash down at 12:40 pm today. a skip reentry will be performed like a rock skipping on a pond to lesson g-forces it will still be coming in hotter and faster than Apollo. Good luck Orion!
Old 12-11-2022, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

I think of trying to start my tractor when the temp is below about 40 degrees F. All things mechanical (and batteries) just don't work as well. To then think of the engineering that goes into extremely complex machines that must function in the hostile environment of space boggles my mind. Those things (on an hourly basis) go from roughly 400 degrees to minus 100, and are still expected to perform as if they were in your yard during a nice June afternoon. Hats off to NASA and private engineers! Good luck on re-entry today!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 12-11-2022, 03:35 PM

Flawless splashdown! Now lets get that moon base up and running
Old 12-11-2022, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
Flawless splashdown! Now lets get that moon base up and running
I can just imagine the first restaurant review. Great food, but no atmosphere.
Old 12-11-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
Or dear ...
Old 12-11-2022, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
Try the green cheese nachos!

Last edited by frankmcr; 12-11-2022 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-12-2022, 11:37 AM

I get the importance of space exploration from Earth through telescopes and calculation. What seems less convincing to me is the impulse to 'get out there' physically. Considering the puniness of human beings in being able to travel space, is all the expense and hullaballoo really worth the 'achievement' of traversing such an infinitessimally small microdot of the universe?
Old 12-12-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I get the importance of space exploration from Earth through telescopes and calculation. What seems less convincing to me is the impulse to 'get out there' physically. Considering the puniness of human beings in being able to travel space, is all the expense and hullaballoo really worth the 'achievement' of traversing such an infinitessimally small microdot of the universe?
I think its human nature to do it. why sail the ocean when you'll fall off the edge of the flat earth.why climb a mountain to see what's on the other side.That curiosity got us to where our knowledge and tech is today. imo.
Old 12-12-2022, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
I think its human nature to do it. why sail the ocean when you'll fall off the edge of the flat earth.why climb a mountain to see what's on the other side.That curiosity got us to where our knowledge and tech is today. imo.
Well, at least these other things are doable. People can, for example, get to the top of the mountain: it's within the limits of human capability. But we are so ill-equipped to 'do' space in any realistic sense that it makes the whole endeavour seem rather absurd. It's like asking someone to paint the entire Taj Mahal with nothing more than a slim watercolour brush. The fact we would be able to cover no more than a few square feet brings the whole venture into question, doesn't it?
Old 12-12-2022, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Well, at least these other things are doable. People can, for example, get to the top of the mountain: it's within the limits of human capability. But we are so ill-equipped to 'do' space in any realistic sense that it makes the whole endeavour seem rather absurd. It's like asking someone to paint the entire Taj Mahal with nothing more than a slim watercolour brush. The fact we would be able to cover no more than a few square feet brings the whole venture into question, doesn't it?
No, to answer the last question.

Just IMO, but I feel there has to be colonization of the moon and Mars and the development of faster than light transportation at some point (safely for people). I know it is science fiction, but it has to be figured out and I think it will be. If we want our civilization to survive long term we we'll need to spread out among the stars.

It's only a matter of time before researchers conquer the aging in our cells and dna/cell editing rids us of cancers (1), and age related maladies. Then what are we going to do with all the people?

Maybe I've watched too much Star Trek, but I think we are the ones to do it (the people of Earth together).

There's a ton of work to be done here just on Earth, but we can do more than one thing at a time. I think we have to.

I don't think the above is political or religious in nature, if it is please delete.

(1) in the news the other day cell editing enabled a young girl to get well enough to allow a bone marrow transplant to put her cancer in remission.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic