The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-03-2022, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Cool Motorola Edge?

For Christmas, my brother and his wife want to get me a new cell phone. They have a Verizon account, so the phone will be on that; they have me as their "son" on the friends and family plan.

I got my first "smart" phone three and a half years ago, an entry level Galaxy, the AO1. It's been a good phone, and it's much smarter than I!

I've been looking strongly at the Motorola Edge. Currently, I'm torn between two models; a 2021 Edge or a 2022 Edge. The attraction for the newer model is more about better speakers in it and Dolby Atmos, although I really don't use my phone a lot to listen to music.

I have researched the Edge in various incarnations...

Wonder if anyone here has one or has experience with one? Is the interface THAT different from a Galaxy? They are both Android phones, I know, but apparently have different ways to work it?

Thanks, in advance for any feedback you may impart!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-04-2022, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Jseth,
I can't answer your question directly, as work supplies my phone, and they have a contract with the iPhone supplier...but...in general, I would MUCH emphasize compatibility with other devices you may use, and app/software you plan to continue over audio quality of a given phone. IME, some phone speakers are much better than others, but even the good ones leave much to be desired for someone with a desire for quality sound. sub-centimeter speakers can only do so much. I have a hockey-puck sized Bose bluetooth speaker than runs all day on a charge, and beats the pants off ANY mobile device in sound quality. Its too easy to link up to speakers (either mobile pucks or dedicated stereo systems) to place much emphasis on a phone's speakers, IMO. plus, be aware that many of the hi-fi platforms (ie Apple's 'lossless') are not yet bluetooth compatible, and sometimes not even streaming capable, so you don't get that benefit. (honestly, I can't tell a difference even when it is active, in any cases)

Good luck. it can be an overwhelming decision with all the options and systems out there.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 12-04-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
For Christmas, my brother and his wife want to get me a new cell phone. They have a Verizon account, so the phone will be on that; they have me as their "son" on the friends and family plan.

I got my first "smart" phone three and a half years ago, an entry level Galaxy, the AO1. It's been a good phone, and it's much smarter than I!

I've been looking strongly at the Motorola Edge. Currently, I'm torn between two models; a 2021 Edge or a 2022 Edge. The attraction for the newer model is more about better speakers in it and Dolby Atmos, although I really don't use my phone a lot to listen to music.

I have researched the Edge in various incarnations...

Wonder if anyone here has one or has experience with one? Is the interface THAT different from a Galaxy? They are both Android phones, I know, but apparently have different ways to work it?

Thanks, in advance for any feedback you may impart!
I don't know that particular phone but my department gives a lot of support to staff who access HR, payroll and schedule with smart phones. For work we only buy the first tier phones.

A today Motorola is not Motorola as many might remember - it's pure Chinesium via Lenovo owning the brand. They seem to have some good features for the price.

As far as interface, I like Pixel our other Android devices that use pure Android.

If you are looking for value a whole lot of staff have been happy with the a Pixel models but again, the Motorola seem popular too. There are probably reviews out there including crowd-sourced reviews to help you make a decision.
Old 12-04-2022, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Another thing you might consider is size. If you don't mind schlepping a large device, the world's your oyster. If you prefer a smaller phone, I recommend the iPhone SE which is small and not hugely $$. I know, not what you asked, but FWIW!
Old 12-04-2022, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
Another thing you might consider is size. If you don't mind schlepping a large device, the world's your oyster. If you prefer a smaller phone, I recommend the iPhone SE which is small and not hugely $$. I know, not what you asked, but FWIW!
+1!!!
It's similar in price, and a MUCH better value. I have an SE and I didn't get it for the lower price. I got it for its size. (Not a big fan of tablet size phones that don't fit in your pockets).

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 12-05-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
I replied in the context of an Android request but we have bought a lot of SEs and helped staff. They are indeed very good in a lot of ways. If there is interest, also consider you can get 12 family that have full screen and 5G.

There's no disguising my bias for reliability, security and service having to deal with this stuff at scale. For the past year we often recommended the modestly priced Pixels and Apple for those reasons. People who went that route have been happy.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:32 AM

Another raised hand for the Google Pixel. My company supplies us with new phones every 2.5 to 3 years (battery life) and as such I just upgraded from a Pixel 3 to a Pixel 7. It's proving to be a great phone but as with some others, it's a fairly large phone (in a slim case, it measures 3" x 6" and weighs just shy of 7 oz.).
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic