The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-03-2022, 03:53 AM

Default Old Time Banjo

I'd like to know how those who play old time banjo in sawmill tuning come up with accompaniment for modal folk songs which they also sing, so I don't mean playing the melody as an instrumental I mean come up with something to sing over.

Like this stuff

Pretty Polly
https://youtu.be/j5bpsgE6Yfc
and Shady Grove
https://youtu.be/_huBDHyoSWE
Does any part of this sound arise from conventional triad chords or is something different
going on here?
Thanks.
Old 10-07-2022, 03:16 PM

Well, we're talking about 'comping' or accompanying oneself in a song-style. Big subject - there are many approaches. Your videos show two such approaches - clawhammer/frailing style, and 'two finger' picking style.

If I could describe it briefly, I would say it involves incorporating variation - embellishments, short melodic, harmonic, rhythmic or ornamental figures or phrases -
to create interest, color, texture, etc - same as you would with guitar or any other instrument.. In a 'modal' arrangement, you've got your drones working for you, so it's a little easier - to weave in those elements - having a tonal backdrop and lots of supporting polyphony, to sing against.
Old 10-08-2022, 05:29 PM

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments