The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-17-2023, 09:18 AM

Has anyone had a chance to play around with the new TD2? If so, how does it compare to the original pedal, especially the EQ controls?
2021 Iris DF Burst
2021 Taylor Big Baby
Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin P90
Seagull Walnut 12 EQ
Eastman MD505 Mandolin
Old 12-17-2023, 10:02 AM

I'm thinking Aaron's going to show up with something soon to watch...hopefully!
Old 12-17-2023, 07:06 PM

First impression of ToneDexter II: Wow.

I set it up right out of the box, referring to the (well written) online manual. I connected an AKG 451B mic, then connected my Martin 00-28MD (new Martin Lifespan 2 strings) with a K&K Pure Mini pickup. Started playing, according to the instructions, and had a tone map in a few minutes. Way too easy...

I didn't experiment (yet) with mic placement or playing technique or different strings, etc. (I will.) But when I started playing with the wave map turned on, well, it did exactly what it was supposed to do. And it did it well. It sounds like my acoustic guitar, not an electronic facsimile.

I had recorded a band rehearsal last week using this guitar going straight into the interface. It sounded terrible. What I'm hearing with the ToneDexter is easily good enough for recording a rehearsal, or performing live. I don't know whether it might work instead of mic-ing the guitar for recording, but that's not what I got it for.

I never used the first ToneDexter, but it seems like there's a lot of cool new functionality in the II. More on that later...it merits a lot more digging and playing. And I'm looking forward to trying it with the Trance Amulet stereo pickup on my Schoenberg guitar.

BTW, I'm not affiliated with Audio Sprockets or receiving anything for writing this. I just want to people to know that, so far, this seems like a heckofa piece of audio equipment.

Last edited by MarkLauden; 12-17-2023 at 07:09 PM. Reason: added a note
Old 12-17-2023, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLauden View Post
First impression of ToneDexter II: Wow.

I set it up right out of the box, referring to the (well written) online manual. I connected an AKG 451B mic, then connected my Martin 00-28MD (new Martin Lifespan 2 strings) with a K&K Pure Mini pickup. Started playing, according to the instructions, and had a tone map in a few minutes. Way too easy...

I didn't experiment (yet) with mic placement or playing technique or different strings, etc. (I will.) But when I started playing with the wave map turned on, well, it did exactly what it was supposed to do. And it did it well. It sounds like my acoustic guitar, not an electronic facsimile.

I had recorded a band rehearsal last week using this guitar going straight into the interface. It sounded terrible. What I'm hearing with the ToneDexter is easily good enough for recording a rehearsal, or performing live. I don't know whether it might work instead of mic-ing the guitar for recording, but that's not what I got it for.

I never used the first ToneDexter, but it seems like there's a lot of cool new functionality in the II. More on that later...it merits a lot more digging and playing. And I'm looking forward to trying it with the Trance Amulet stereo pickup on my Schoenberg guitar.

BTW, I'm not affiliated with Audio Sprockets or receiving anything for writing this. I just want to people to know that, so far, this seems like a heckofa piece of audio equipment.
Mark, I had a similar experience today. I got home from church around 2PM, and had to be at a Christmas service at 4:45- so i wanted to take one crack at a Wavemap and if I could dial in something quick I was going to take it. The training was fast and easy, I played cowboy chords and some barre chords up the neck, and off she went. Used a Lewitt 040 SDC and didn't even have time to make the house quiet.

Long story, short- I played it tonight for an acoustic/piano Christmas music gig and I really liked the way it sounded. First Wavemap, really basic EQ settings and it actually sounded like I was playing my guitar.

Looking forward to more experimenting. The other TDII thread has a quick recording that I made of my wavemap with and without a 25% blend of a K&K Trinity internal mic.
Kopp K-35 (in the queue)
Old 12-17-2023, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoslug View Post
I'm thinking Aaron's going to show up with something soon to watch...hopefully!
I’m going to wait and see what others have to say. I’m very happy with my Cole Clark and VL3x these days.
Old 12-19-2023, 06:14 PM

Wow, this is so exciting! I'm so glad this exists, this is an answered prayer, I'm quite thankful!

I haven't yet tested it out fully, but the first thing I noticed was that the UI is really nice -- smooth animations, button turns... The UI is a bit like a Meris pedal. The knobs have little detents that make a satisfying click as well. This will be fun to use!

Last edited by idimata; 12-19-2023 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2024, 01:23 AM

I created an alternate PDF version of the ToneDexter II manual for printing that doesn't use up a bunch of ink.

Edited: There's a new version of the PDF at AudioSprockets so my "lite" version will have to be updated.

Last edited by Cellomangler; 01-22-2024 at 01:30 AM.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:45 PM

Very excited to get the new ToneDexter II and possibly cut out a lot of excess pedals I currently use to help get a good acoustic sound.

Two questions. First, is it possible to create an IR using mics in a dual configuration?

Second, if I have a stereo setup on my acoustic (Trance Audio Amulet + Sunrise), how will this work for generating an IR for the guitar?
Fender HMT
Old 03-18-2024, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

I’m almost afraid to answer, because the TD2 is so powerful there may be an alternate way to do things, or even multiple ways - but as I understand it -

You have a single mic input to the TD, so you would need an external unit to mix the mic signals for input to the TD. I imagine you could listen with headphones until you get the mix you like, then do your training to create the wavemap.

There are 2 instrument inputs (instrument and aux), so you could run the 2 pickups into the TD individually, and adjust them on the TD, or maybe your guitar has some means of adjusting the mix?, but then you would apply the wavemap to the signal coming in, and adjust how much pickup(s) signal and how much wavemap you want on the output. I think, if I understand James properly, you could even apply the wavemap to one of the pickup inputs, and not the other. But it all seems to be getting rather complicated to me, and the beauty of the TD is it’s simplicity - but once you do have it all figured out, you can bake the settings into the wavemap and have it “locked down” - I’m sure James can chime in at some point if thta isn’t correct.

He has also done a very good job of expanding the online manual for the TD2, and it’s well worth reading through that -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
james may, tonedexter